Bruce's voice post 1989

Christopher Baines

Educated Fool
Dunno whether this has been discussed before but does anyone know why there was such a difference in Bruce's voice from 7th Son to No Prayer. From 84 through to 88 I thought his voice sounded strained and he found it difficult to reach the higher notes yet from his 1990 solo tour he had no problem and sounds much more solid and that has been maintained since. Wondered if it was just the rest following the constant touring of the 80's or he had a operation or something. Something similar happened to Robert Plant from 73-79 and then his voice got much stronger but I know he Cholera and some other issues.

1989 the first year off since he joined the band might be a factor, followed by a general slowdown of the touring pace after late 80s.

1989 the first year off since he joined the band might be a factor, followed by a general slowdown of the touring pace after late 80s.
I guess so. Just seemed such a marked difference and they still had some lengthy tours after that but I presume he just learned to manage his voice better.

Back