Bruce's Solo Discography Ranked - The Complete List

Well, not for me. It's kinda like the issue I have with Believil - if the goal is to make an, for lack of a better word, "evil" song, why does it have to sound so messy? There's no truly memorable riff, the chorus is annoying, and the only interesting part is the interlude after the solos. Really, I'm just not a fan :)

I gave Dive! Dive! Live! a viewing. Really awesome. [...] Top tier concert, one of the best live vids I've ever seen.
I haven't watched that one in a while, but I remember it being well-produced and not having lots of distracting visual effects, and the performances were good. The whole business with Janick trashing his gear and bleeding in the process was forced and dumb, and the set list is only going to appeal to big fans of Tattooed Millionaire, but it's essential viewing for that subset of people.

The Skunkworks Live video is great. It has some unnecessary visual effects, but you can't argue with the performances. The set list is a bit short, since I think it was shot when they were in an opening slot for Helloween, but what's there is great. I remember paying $70 for the imported VHS tape back in the day, but getting it in the anthology is much more cost effective!

The 2 songs from CW you guys like the least — Killing Floor and Machine Men — are the only ones written by Adrian on that album! Maidenfans-forum prefers Roy Z over Adrian Smith. :lol:
Yep, I’ve found many quotes on how Adrian’s song-writing with Bruce wasn’t the greatest, but his playing was the bee’s knees.

Adrian did not contribute his best work in Bruce’s solo band. Road To Hell is awesome though and stands up to any of the 80s Maiden rockers.

TBH, while every single song on the album is perfect, I would probably put "The Tower" closer to the bottom with "Killing Floor" if I were to rank them....

The 2 songs from CW you guys like the least — Killing Floor and Machine Men — are the only ones written by Adrian on that album! Maidenfans-forum prefers Roy Z over Adrian Smith. :lol:
Adrian did a lot of grungy, odd-rhythm stuff in the 90s that many people liked (including me), but many people disliked. His Psycho Motel work was a lot like that, and "Welcome To The Pit" and "Killing Floor" were in the same vein.

42: Wicker Man
Average Score: 7.61/10
Bonus Tracks 25/31

Probably my favorite non-album song from Bruce, I really like this one. Probably better than Maiden's. It really takes all of the myth and feel of the wicker man legends and the film itself and encapsulates it in this one song. Really like it. It's also important because it was one of the major tunes that got me into solo Bruce. I'm happy it made it this high, I'd probably have it higher, but I can understand why it's not an ultimate favorite for most people.

Choice comments:

I can't weed through all of these...

Votes:
10 - 3
9 - 1
8 - 6
7 - 4
6 - 3
5 - 0
4 - 1
3 - 0
2 - 0
1 - 0

Overall:
42 - Wicker Man
43 - Space Race
44 - Solar Confinement

45 - Machine Men
46 - Killing Floor

47 - The Magician
48 - Devil on a Hog
49 - Acoustic Song
50 - Welcome To The Pit
51 - No Way Out... Continued
52 - Gods of War
53 - Faith
54 - No Way Out... To Be Continued
55 - Sacred Cowboys
56 - 1000 Points of Light

57 - Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter
58 - Hell No
59 - All The Young Dudes
60 - Inside The Machine
61 - Real World
62 - Winds of Change

63 - Meltdown
64 - Gypsy Road
65 - Fire Child
66 - Shoot All The Clowns
67 - Octavia
68 - Dreamstate

69 - Hell On Wheels
70 - Fire
71 - Believil
72 - I Will Not Accept The Truth
73 - Mars Within
74 - Armchair Hero
75 - Toltec 7 Arrival
76 - God's Not Coming Back
77 - Darkness Be My Friend
78 - Confeos

79 - Headswitch
80 - Dive! Dive! Dive!
81 - Rescue Day
82 - No Lies
83 - Re-Entry
84 - Midnight Jam
85 - Over And Out
86 - Dracula
87 - Cadillac Gas Mask
88 - Tibet
89 - Elvis Has Left The Building
90 - Americans Are Behind

91 - Lickin' the Gun
92 - R 101
93 - Ballad of Mutt

94 - Zulu Lulu
95 - The Post Alternative Seattle Fall Out
96 - I'm In A Band With An Italian Drummer

Albums:

Tattooed Millionaire 7/10
Balls To Picasso 6/10
Skunkworks 9/13
Accident of Birth 3/12
The Chemical Wedding 2/10
Tyranny of Souls 3/10
Bonus Tracks 25/31

41: Laughing in the Hiding Bush
Average Score: 7.64/10
Balls To Picasso 7/10

"Laughing in the Hiding Bush" came about thanks to Bruce's son Austin, and Bruce wanted to name the album after it... obviously that didn't happen, and I'm glad because Balls To Picasso is a cool name and I don't care much for this song. It's good, but overrated and not outstanding. Obviously others must consider it an album highlight - it's the fourth highest from it and stands just outside the Top 40.

Choice comments:

I think the worst song off of Balls is Laughing in the Hiding Bush. It's a cool song, but I only ever listen to it when I'm listening to the album in full.
great couplets + awesome solo in different chord modus
Just a generic song that never really did anything for me.
That's top 5 Bruce in my opinion and though it is from Balls to Picasso, it fits the later live repertoire very well.

Votes:
10 - 2
9 - 7
8 - 5
7 - 3
6 - 2
5 - 1
4 - 1
3 - 1
2 - 0
1 - 0

Overall:
41 - Laughing in the Hiding Bush
42 - Wicker Man
43 - Space Race
44 - Solar Confinement

45 - Machine Men
46 - Killing Floor

47 - The Magician
48 - Devil on a Hog
49 - Acoustic Song
50 - Welcome To The Pit
52 - Gods of War
53 - Faith
55 - Sacred Cowboys

58 - Hell No
59 - All The Young Dudes
60 - Inside The Machine
61 - Real World
62 - Winds of Change

63 - Meltdown
64 - Gypsy Road
65 - Fire Child
67 - Octavia
68 - Dreamstate

69 - Hell On Wheels
70 - Fire
71 - Believil
73 - Mars Within
74 - Armchair Hero
75 - Toltec 7 Arrival
78 - Confeos

79 - Headswitch
80 - Dive! Dive! Dive!
81 - Rescue Day
82 - No Lies
83 - Re-Entry
84 - Midnight Jam
85 - Over And Out
86 - Dracula
87 - Cadillac Gas Mask
88 - Tibet

91 - Lickin' the Gun
92 - R 101
93 - Ballad of Mutt

94 - Zulu Lulu

Albums:

Balls To Picasso 7/10
Skunkworks 9/13
Accident of Birth 3/12
Tyranny of Souls 3/10
Bonus Tracks 25/31

I think other than "Tears of the Dragon", this is the song I look for the most from this album. I'm always listening to it now and then.

40: Strange Death In Paradise
Average Score: 7.74/10
Skunkworks 10/13

With this song in our list, Skunkworks has but three remaining songs. "Strange Death In Paradise" is the album's closer, a very moody piece with a lot to it. I respect that, even if it hasn't grown on me enough yet. Lots of people consider it the best song on the album, and I guess I see why. Definitely the best way to end the record.

Choice comments:

A perfect example of the combination of heaviness and hypnotic calmness that makes Skunkworks Bruce's best album.
I loved Skunkworks on release, but can’t seem to enjoy it now, bar the track, Strange Death in Paradise.
The stand-out track, in my humble opinion, is the absolutely brilliant Strange Death in Paradise, about the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Bruce revisited a similar concept in Omega and Brighter than a Thousand Suns.
absolutely killer
"Strange Death In Paradise" is obviously the best Skunkworks song, come on guys.

Votes:
10 - 6
9 - 4
8 - 3
7 - 3
6 - 0
5 - 2
4 - 0
3 - 0
2 - 0
1 - 1

Overall:
40 - Strange Death In Paradise
41 - Laughing in the Hiding Bush
42 - Wicker Man
43 - Space Race
44 - Solar Confinement

45 - Machine Men
46 - Killing Floor

47 - The Magician
48 - Devil on a Hog
49 - Acoustic Song
50 - Welcome To The Pit
52 - Gods of War
53 - Faith
55 - Sacred Cowboys

58 - Hell No
59 - All The Young Dudes
60 - Inside The Machine
61 - Real World
62 - Winds of Change

63 - Meltdown
64 - Gypsy Road
65 - Fire Child
67 - Octavia
68 - Dreamstate

69 - Hell On Wheels
70 - Fire
71 - Believil
73 - Mars Within
74 - Armchair Hero
75 - Toltec 7 Arrival
78 - Confeos

79 - Headswitch
80 - Dive! Dive! Dive!
81 - Rescue Day
82 - No Lies
83 - Re-Entry
84 - Midnight Jam
85 - Over And Out
86 - Dracula
87 - Cadillac Gas Mask
88 - Tibet

91 - Lickin' the Gun
92 - R 101
93 - Ballad of Mutt

94 - Zulu Lulu

Albums:

Balls To Picasso 7/10
Skunkworks 10/13
Accident of Birth 3/12
Tyranny of Souls 3/10
Bonus Tracks 25/31

I think other than "Tears of the Dragon", this is the song I look for the most from this album. I'm always listening to it now and then.
"Tears" is definitely my favorite from the album, but I've been coming back to "Sacred Cowboys" most lately.

40: Strange Death In Paradise
(gasp) Another of my 10/10 songs dies. I take solace in the fact that this song got more 10's than any other rating.

Who is this person who keeps giving 1's to brilliant songs? Did someone just carpet bomb Skunkworks with 1 and 2 ratings for the hell of it...?

(gasp) Another of my 10/10 songs dies. I take solace in the fact that this song got more 10's than any other rating.

Who is this person who keeps giving 1's to brilliant songs? Did someone just carpet bomb Skunkworks with 1 and 2 ratings for the hell of it...?
That's literally what I was thinking. The only two songs on the album that didn't get 1s were "Space Race" and "Back From The Edge". Insane.

Someone also gave "A Tyranny of Souls" a 2, which is way different than anything else it got, so I think there are some extremists in our little voting group....

People prefer Tattooed Millionaire the song more than Wicker Man, Strange Death, Killing Floor. I think we've got some hair metal traitors onboard.

People prefer Tattooed Millionaire the song more than Wicker Man, Strange Death, Killing Floor. I think we've got some hair metal traitors onboard.
Diesel does.
Mhm. TM is a Top 5 Bruce song and one of my favorite songs ever. Only “Chemical Wedding”, my favorite Bruce song period, can I firmly say is better. Otherwise it’s up against Thel, Trumpets, and Kill Devil Hill for second place.

Back