Bruce Dickinson - What Does This Button Do?

As a 29 year old, I didn't like the parts( i think there were two) where Bruces slyly takes a dig at the older fans saying that BNW was for the young fans. I think Nicko has said something about the older/younger fans thing.

The older lot are the reasons your famous in the first place, they should not forget that. On a slightly unrelated note bands like Maiden/Metallica owe alot to nu-metal bands like Linkin Park, Slipknot ect as being a gateway to heavy metal in general.

Yeah I remember in Dublin in 2006 he said something about the numbers of young kids in the audience, saying “What’s wrong with your dads, they too old to rock?” Or something along those lines. Unnecessary Bruce, many normal people get older and have families/responsibilities.

In actual fact my old man was at that gig with me.

Yeah I remember in Dublin in 2006 he said something about the numbers of young kids in the audience, saying “What’s wrong with your dads, they too old to rock?” Or something along those lines. Unnecessary Bruce, many normal people get older and have families/responsibilities.

In actual fact my old man was at that gig with me.
You have to remember that Bruce's nonsense rants are never personal as such, he just likes to rile up the audience as a bit of a joke. I could be indignant about his digs at the sitting portion of the audience at the gig I attended, but the fact is I was stuck on the shitty arena seat because I didn't want to fuck it up for the people behind me, let alone break my damn neck trying to jump around in the tiny space allotted. He had a bit of a laugh on my (and others) expense, but it's all fair game when you're attending a Maiden show. Getting addressed by Bruce specifically feels more like a badge of honor than anything, tbh.

Although it’s not billed as any sort of self help book, I found Bruce’s autobiography inspirational in several ways.

My takeaway lessons were:
1. Don’t rest on your laurels — past successes don’t justify idleness (as Maiden’s longevity can attest to).
2. Find several things that interest you and learn to do them well: Bruce’s pursuit of a commercial pilot’s license out of a simple interest in aviation stands as a great example.
3. Deal with adversity rationally and maturely — Bruce’s battle with cancer demonstrates a thinking person’s manner of dealing with things beyond one’s control.

I read this book when it was first published and will likely re-read it in 2019.

Back