UK Politics

If Brexit ends up destroying the Tories we might have something to thank David Cameron for!

After the backstabbing debacle of how the Conservative party has dealt with the whole thing, I hope this would mean the party splitting into the lunatics and the moderates.
I know a few people who voted Leave because they wanted to bring down Cameron's government. It did, but it replaced it with a worse one. I'm bothered that repeatedly getting rid of the more rational politicians is resulting in being left with nothing but nutballs with no clear direction in charge. If the Conservatives (and Labour for that matter) die a death, then what are we left with? Splinter groups who can't work together, and self-serving goons playing the populist momentum game for personal gain, again with no clear direction or rational thought. Boris is already preaching No Deal, while delightedly posing in his suit with his crappy bike and naff dayglo helmet because apparently people think he's a quirky and fake-oafish bit of fun.

The SNP are cleaning up in Scotland as expected, but The Brexit Party coming second in some parts of Scotland which is a surprise.

The SNP are cleaning up in Scotland as expected, but The Brexit Party coming second in some parts of Scotland which is a surprise.

We have to bear in mind the very low turnout (37% overall, less than 40% in Scotland). The people voting were probably exercising their protest vote.

We have to bear in mind the very low turnout (37% overall, less than 40% in Scotland). The people voting were probably exercising their protest vote.
Of course. When UKIP "won" in 2014 with 27% from a 33% turnout it didn't really mean much as its only about 9% of the electorate voting for them.

Turnout has increased in Scotland has increased from 32.6% to 39.9% though. I reckon it's remain voters making their voice heard.

Much to my amusement, Islington in London has voted for the pro-EU Liberal Democrats. Islington is Jeremy Corbyn's parliamentary constituency. :lol:

There is also some suspicion that Marine Le Pen's party might have the most French seats. That would be a bit of a slap in the face to Monsieur Federalist himself, Emmanuel Macron.

Labour losing towns to The Brexit Party and Liberal Democrats. If you sit on the fence then you get a spike up your arse. I'd love it if this was the catalyst for the end of Jezza's leadership of the Labour Party.

I honestly don't think it would be any different with anyone else running the Labour party. The areas that once voted Labour have decided that the mainstream parties are too 'establishment' and are voting populist because they seem to think the parties that come up with ranty soundbites are out for the people who feel neglected and shat upon. Which they're not. They're trying to play on making people feel included and special, except unfortunately they're doing it by shitting on people who can be marginalised as outsiders.

The Western Isles don't ballot count on The Sabbath, so am I right in saying we're waiting til Monday for the final Scottish count?

Anyway, not sure if The Brexit Party polling second is particularly surprising. Some SNP voters (with the vote being otherwise practically meaningless) may be politely telling Nicola that not all independence supporters are pro-Europe...

Where's the remain voters?

They should have made a point of voting to show that they want to remain. Even the Brexiteers could manage to do that.

Back