• No More Lies

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Face In The Sand

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

SinisterMinisterX

Illuminatus
Staff member
Hooray! Time for another SMX-style Silly Poll!

The theme this time is songs whose title is all short words (4 letters or less in every word).

B-sides are ineligible for the main poll, but you can select one that fits the criteria for honorary mention.

As usual, explain your vote or He Who Must Not Be Named will report you to the CIA.

My choice: To Tame A Land. This song has a level of grandeur which makes me feel special all over.

Honorary mention: I've Got The Fire. I love that opening riff.

I've gotta go with Fear of the Dark.  There's no other short words I'd rather holler at Bruce during a concert.

Definitely To Tame a Land. Some of Maiden's best instrumental parts beautifully entwined with some good singing to go with it. My honorary mention goes to All In Your Mind, mainly for the drums in the intro.

Nice poll! I'll vote No More Lies cuz you can just SCREAM NO MORE LIES!!!  :yey:

I remember yelling it at my last Maiden show...

NO MORE LIES!!!

(To Raven: NO MORE PIES!)  :p

I'm going for Face in the Sand.

Firstly, this is one of the best tracks on Dance of Death and what Nicko does with a single bass drum is only achieved by lesser drummers using a double-bass-drum-pedal-gizmo (I have no idea what it's called - but I know these things exist). Good lyrics to this track also help.

You mean I have to decide between The Evil That Men Do and No More Lies?! With titles such as 2 AM and Face In The Sand before my eyes?

I choose the bullet.

It's not so easy to choose one from all these great songs...
Right now I'd say 2 A.M., it's one of my favourite Blaze tracks, and his singing perfectly integrates with the lyrics and the overall mood of the song (as in almost all X Factor :wub:)

Albie: I thought Face in the Sand was the only song Nicko used a double bass on?  I recall hearing that that's why they didn't play it on the tour; because Nicko didn't like the double bass.

As for me, it's a tough call between No More Lies, Fear of the Dark, and The Evil that Men Do.  No More Lies for some of Maiden's most amazing solos (in my opinion), Fear... for its sheer concert power, and The Evil... for just being such a 'kin amazing song  :wub:.  I can't choose...

Invader said:
Albie: I thought Face in the Sand was the only song Nicko used a double bass on?  I recall hearing that that's why they didn't play it on the tour; because Nicko didn't like the double bass.
Best we get someone to verify this. ;)

Albie said:
Best we get someone to verify this. ;)

Nicko himself said it in some interviews (or was it the official biography?).
I recall that he hated it so much that he will never use double bassdrum pedals again.
It's not really faster than e.g. in The Wicker Man, but in FITS the parts are longer, so he had to use those pedals.

Type in google: nicko mcbrain face in the sand pedals
...and you'll see some hits. :)

It has to be Deja-Vu. Dickinson's voice may sound horrifying when he sings the parts 'When you see familiar faces...', 'When you've been particular places...', 'Ever had a conversation...' and 'Have you ever talked to someone...'

To Tame A Land is a classic song and great story.  Therefore it gets my vote!
"Bodywater is your life and without it you would die
On the desert the planet Dune"

My second choice (not on list) would be a b-side called "That Girl"  (A very mellow rock tune.  Unlike the stronger Maiden stuff/style.)

Forostar said:
Nicko himself said it in some interviews (or was it the official biography?).
I recall that he hated it so much that he will never use double bassdrum pedals again.
It's not really faster than e.g. in The Wicker Man, but in FITS the parts are longer, so he had to use those pedals.
OK, is there a difference between a double bassdrum and double bassdrum pedals? I may be way of the mark, but this suggests to me that you either have two bassdrums and two pedals or two pedals and one bassdrum.

You may have guessed this, but I have no real concept of musical instruments and their phraseology. I just like their overall output. :D

That was a really tough choice. Fear of the Dark got my vote in the end because it's a great song to sing along to. No More Lies comes in at a very close second place, I prefer the lyrics, but it just isn't quite as 'classic' as Fear of the Dark.

Very hard decision to make here. Fear of the dark is absolutely class live but the studio version is kind of flat in comparison so i went for To Tame A Land instead. Closing your eyes and listening to that song on headphones takes you away to another planet.

Albie said:
OK, is there a difference between a double bassdrum and double bassdrum pedals? I may be way of the mark, but this suggests to me that you either have two bassdrums and two pedals or two pedals and one bassdrum.

You may have guessed this, but I have no real concept of musical instruments and their phraseology. I just like their overall output. :D

The pedal setup is different too, because "double pedal" means two pedals operate one beater (drummers, is beater the correct word for that thing that hits the drum?) whereas a drummer with two bass drums will use two ordinary single pedals.

For the topic, I must say I really like many of these songs. But among classics and some newer goodies, I choose the 1988 classic. Which, by the way, illustrates Nicko's fast right foot which sometimes achieves double-pedal speed without help from its twin, the left foot.

Eddies Wingman said:
The pedal setup is different too, because "double pedal" means two pedals operate one beater...

I've never seen a double pedal with a single beater. They have two beaters for the same reason you need two pedals - a single beater can't respond fast enough to play double-bass-drum parts.

For some sample photographs, look at this page.

And though it's off-topic, I can't resist a plug for the site I linked to just above. I've bought a great deal of stuff from them and I've always been completely satisfied. And I'm not talking small, easy things like strings either - I've bought a bass and a complete PA system from that website, and they deliver the goods for even the largest items.

Just to spite everybody :p I voted for Man on the edge.

Seriously, if there is one song that's really great with Blaze behind the mic, it's this one. Maybe Futureal and Sign of the Cross too, but that's about it.

SinisterMinisterX said:
I've never seen a double pedal with a single beater. They have two beaters for the same reason you need two pedals - a single beater can't respond fast enough to play double-bass-drum parts.

For some sample photographs, look at this page.

And though it's off-topic, I can't resist a plug for the site I linked to just above. I've bought a great deal of stuff from them and I've always been completely satisfied. And I'm not talking small, easy things like strings either - I've bought a bass and a complete PA system from that website, and they deliver the goods for even the largest items.

I stand corrected, SMX. After all, I've never played drums and know just a little about it. The instruments I play (on a hobby basis only) are keyboards and guitar, I can play simple melodies on a recorder and a harmonica, and I've touched, not really played, bass and been sitting behind a drum kit. With a single pedal  ;) I think I can play a simple 4/4 rythm (without any intricate cymbal work or other fancy stuff).

Still, The Evil That Men Do is a great song with good drumming from Nicko, I guess we can agree on that? (Just to be back on topic). Anomica, Actually I disagree strongly on your last line. I think most of The X Factor is very good, and for me Man on the edge is one of the least interesting from this album. Not saying it's a poor song, but both lyrically and musically I'd say most of the songs on TXF appeal more to me.

But you were perhaps putting special weight on the vocals? There I can agree with you, this is one of the songs were Blaze sounds the best.

I have to go with The evil That Men Do. I don't even know what's I love so much about it, or Seventh Son in general, but the album and that song especially have an unexplainably majestic quality to them.

To Tame a Land is a very close second. The music is second to none but as a huge fan of Dune I feel like the lyrics just don't do justice to the source material.

Back