Best song contest-Round 1, Part 6

Which one is the best song in Somewhere in Time

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eli

Educated Fool
Unsurprisingly, majority of the votes went to "two greats" ROTAM and Powerslave, with Rime winning (with 1 more vote only) in part 5. It seems they are the songs mainly responsible for the love for Powerslave album, with considerable help from Aces High, and some / a little from the rest. And yes, I'm sorry too for Powerslave...

This time we have another fan-favourite "Somewhere in Time" album. Even though I won't be voting for it, it will be a surprise for me if ATG does not win.

Already in round 2: Phantom of the Opera, Killers, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Revelations, Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Heaven Can Wait is what I voted for. I wonder if it will get any other votes...ATG would be second choice but IMO these two are inferior compared to the "two greats" in Powerslave.

For me this is between “Wasted Years” and “Alexander The Great”, both 10/10 songs in my book. In the end I think the all-time classic descending guitar lead and chorus from “Wasted Years” are enough to eke out the victory here.

Caught Somewhere in Time. The wonderful intro harmony shows off the album's retro-futuristic tone before it explodes into a relentless charge that never lets up for a second. Great riffs, awesome harmonies and a fantastic set of solos, for me it's also their best opener. A crying shame it never made it past the album tour, but I get why, it'd be hell on Nicko.

Since I can only choose one I went with ATG. These polls are showing me I’m partial to the epics. No wonder I like Senjutsu so much…

Wasted Years, for me. Because I love what Adrian has done with this song. Very fine playing and the tapping on the intro and the outro is pure joy.

Caught Somewhere in Time because of the intro and solo. When I listen to this song and the rest of the album, it transports me to a dystopian city like Los Angeles in Blade Runner.

It is a tie between "Wasted Years" and "Heaven Can Wait" for me. I've picked the former because it is one of the rare "Smith only" credits and because "Heaven Can Wait" is much better live, especially the chorus on ARLO.

Last edited:
This is and has always been my favorite IM album. I like every single song and love most of them.
My favorite song is a tossup between Caught Somewhere in Time and Wasted Years. Since I can only choose one here it will be CSIT.

1. Sea of Madness

2. Stranger in a Strange Land
3. Alexander
4. Caught Somehere in Time
5. Wasted Years
6. The Loneliness
7. Deja-Vu
8. Heaven Can Wait

Back