Votes: 1 2.9%
  • For The Greater Good Of God

Votes: 15 44.1%

• Total voters

SinisterMinisterX

Illuminatus
Staff member
Yes, it's another silly poll from SMX!
To qualify, a song had to have more than 5 words in the title.

Some very good songs there. But I have to go with the latest arrival i.e. For The Greater Good Of God. The others may be very good, but FTGGOG is just freaking MASSIVE.

Well now that For the Greater Good of God is here, I don't have to choose between The Thin Line Between Love and Hate, Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner and Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger  :D.  Go AMOLAD!  :yey:

I have to go with  Seventh Son Of A Son, "For the greater good of god" is good, but i feel it cant match seventh Son Of A Son

Wrathchild :p

Out of those listed, I would say "For the Greater Good of God".  Cheesiness is great.

For the Greater Good of God got my vote although it was an awfully tough decision between that and Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger as well as Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner. In the end I voted for For the Greater Good of God because it is more consistent than the other two (in the sense that overall the song retains a high quality, whereas the others have bits and pieces that don't sound too great in my opinion), and because of the lyrics. It just has the deepest lyrics that appeal the most to me out of all three.

As always, however, it really depends on my mood. When I feel like something orchestral and heavily classically influenced, Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger it is!

Seventh Son.  The solos are instantly memorable, as is that whole final section.

On a side note, I can see we're really plumbing the depths, scraping the bottom of the barrel to find the last turd no-one else wants so we can polish it into oblivion. :D

On another side note, Maiden can't touch Demilich or Bal-Sagoth for song titles
*takes breath*
'The Planet that Once Used to Absorb Flesh In Order to Achieve Divinity and Immortality (Suffocated to the Cause that it Desired...)' ftw!

It's the shortest song with the longest title - so I'll go for "Bring you daughter..." :D

I went for " The loneliness of the long distance runner", because Harris said it's one of his weaker songs(I disagree with that obviously), and the way Bruce sang those awkward lyrics.
I also liked it the first time I heard it. I remember thinking "This band just didn't wanted to leave any topic untouched, and that kind of versatility is one of the things I can really relate to and respect."

I think I need to clarify why I voted for For the Greater Good of God and not Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner or Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger or The Thin Line Between Love and Hate.

Loneliness... I chiefly like because of the fast and melodic riffs and the long way Bruce takes to pronounce the longest title  :D.
Don't Look to... I chiefly like because of the ecstatic way the words "Don't look to" etc. combine to make it like traditional rock, where heavy emphasis on lyrical repetition gets the listeners moods up.  I also like the guitars on this one a lot.
The Thin Line... I chiefly like because the songs is so powerful in both the music and lyrics.  I also like the idea that there is dark and light side to people.  The melodic guitars during the chorus are great.
For the Greater Good of God is the best though.  It has an amazing chorus which is ironic after the verses are sung.  I adore the solos, they move me so much.  The pre-chorus is great too, but could be a bit shorter for the last example.  Unlike some people, I love the way Bruce pronounces 'God' here.  The fast drums and beating riffs and bass really make the atmoshere in this song.  It is my favourite off the new CD.  The biggest atmosphere, feeling, and relevancy (and currency too, I'm afraid) is why this song is #1 from this list.

Genghis Khan said:
The Thin Line... I chiefly like because the songs is so powerful in both the music and lyrics.  I also like the idea that there is dark and light side to people. 

I think The Thin Line Between Love and Hate highlights more the idea that it isn't possible to classify people as one or the other. Look at lines like:

There's a grey place between black and white
or
Just a few small tears between someone happy and one sad
Just a thin line drawn between being a genius or insane

The world just is more complicated than stereotypes and putting people into boxes. Which is why I like the lyrics to this song alot. My favorite bit though is where Bruce sings "I will hope, my soul will fly, so I will live forever
Heart will die, my soul will fly, and I will live forever" and the music just soars along with it, making me feel as if my soul is really flying. Great song that, and I get the unfortunate impression that it is one of the more under-rated of Maiden's repertoire.

The question though is...  is there any real white,  or black?  Is it all just a lighter shade of black and white,  but there is no real black and white? ;)

Well, there is also the question as to whether black and white are colors in the first place....technically they're not colors but pigments.  :smartarse:

Natalie said:
Well, there is also the question as to whether black and white are colors in the first place....technically they're not colors but pigments.  :smartarse:

Do you actually learn this kind of bullshit at school?  :blink:

You guessed right, Maverick. Physics with Doc (I'm serious, thats his nickname). He's a part-time professor at the university in Vienna, so don't you go challenging his word :mad:. Just kidding, although at my school, you don't mess with Doc.  ::)

Well, just tell 'Doc' that he's full of shit and get some proper information about the physics of the visible spectrum (and other radiations if you want) and what pigments actually are.

Back