Best Iron Maiden 'guitar' album?

Virtual XI.

Futureal, The Clansman, When Two Worlds Collide, Como Estais Amigos - that is some top work, in terms of both riffs and melodies, as well as the solos.

The Clansman became even stronger with Adrian too.

Last edited:
I don't get the love for the PoM guitar tone. Way too much middle.

It makes the guitars sound hollow and weak. I've thought this for decades! I always found it weird how they could go from the full sounding Killers and NOTB to the POM sound as if it was an improvement. Really odd.
I dig Piece of Mind's sound overall, but taken as individual pieces, yeah, it's pretty rough. The drums sound like they're all filled with pillows and the guitars are very much 80s Maiden and not in a good way. All midrange resulting in a really honky tone that makes them sound rather weak.

Somewhere in Time. That album was DEFINED by that guitar tone unlike all of their other albums... Those Gallien Kruger amps gave this album what I believe is their best guitar tone ever in their history. Harris' best bass lines I feel are on here as well as many of the most melodic guitar bits...

I agree 100% that the solos in the back-half of Seventh Son are just mind blowing. When the drums and lead guitar kick in after the mystic shit, it just hits you out of nowhere and is so fast and vicious.
Exactly.. the riffs and solos hits you in the face out of nowhere and there were enough riffs in that section to have made 3 more songs imo.

Back