Best castle in the UK?

Jer

A window to the west, a blazing star above
Those of you intimately familiar with the UK, if you had to recommend just one castle to a foreign tourist to visit, which one would it be?

Also, if your choice happens to be a very well known tourist attraction, what would be your next choice among castles that are less commonly known to foreigners?

Well, there is the most infamous one, The Tower of London (it's still a castle).

By definition, all castles are rich in history but none more tangible and still present then at the Tower Of London.

Other than this, I find that Rochester has a very evocative Castle. It dates back to 1127 (I think I recall) and has the tallest keep in Britain.

Attachments

• rochester-castle-hero.jpg
    rochester-castle-hero.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Jer
Also visited Caerphilly Castle last Easter and it is excellent. Also in Wales, though the southern half.

Attachments

• F8916348-08E2-4542-B756-5167E6B1380A.jpeg
    F8916348-08E2-4542-B756-5167E6B1380A.jpeg
    290 KB · Views: 7
Castle Donington?

Joking aside, I have very fond memories of Warwick Castle, but there are great ones in Scotland (Edinburgh, Stirling), loads in Wales (Conwy and Caernarfon Castle are impressive), and some really cool ones elsewhere in England (e.g., Bodiam Castle).

Maybe, though it's likely to be a quick whirlwind tour if it happens. But I was generally curious about what castles UK denizens think are the neatest.

If you come to Guildford I’ll buy you a pint at The Keep, an aptly-named pub next to what remains of Guildford’s Norman Castle (basically the keep!).

I have very fond memories of Warwick Castle
I'm pretty sure I went to their peacock garden when I lived in Kidlington outside of Oxford for about 6 months as a child. How does it rate for an adult visitor?

To add to these jovial posts: If you intend to stay in London, then the castles in Rochester (Kent) Bodmin Castle (East Sussex), Guildford (Surrey) and Cardiff (Wales) are all very easily accessible from London with some simple planning. Enjoy!!

plus you get the added advantage of being near Snowdonia and it’s many charms
Not castle-related, but I would love to visit the mountain railway there someday, and bring the Thomas the Tank Engine fan in me back to life lol.

Well, there is the most infamous one, The Tower of London (it's still a castle).

By definition, all castles are rich in history but none more tangible and still present then at the Tower Of London.

It’s probably a reference to tarot cards’ magic world but I always like to think that Chemical Wedding’s The Tower is about the Tower of London.

And yes, a sublime castle to visit. Huge historical significance.

The big Welsh ones are about the most intact, however Warwick Castle is great and often gets interpreters and demonstrators in period kit. Bodiam Castle in Sussex looks amazing, sitting in the middle of huge moat, Bamburgh Castle sitting overlooking sand dunes and a massive beach in Northumberland is well worth a visit, also Alnwick Castle in Northumberland, part of which still lived in, and you can do much worse than Edinburgh Castle.

Stokesay Castle in Shropshire is mostly intact too, more a smallish fortified manor house than a castle.

Castle Donington?

Joking aside, I have very fond memories of Warwick Castle, but there are great ones in Scotland (Edinburgh, Stirling), loads in Wales (Conwy and Caernarfon Castle are impressive), and some really cool ones elsewhere in England (e.g., Bodiam Castle).

Apologies for quoting myself, but I would add to that list Chepstow Castle in Wales. I was there on Saturday and found the ruins pretty impressive.

Reactions: Jer
Back