At The Gates

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
Swedish melodic Death Metal pioneers AT THE GATES have just completed the recording process of their upcoming studio album with producer Russ Russell (Napalm Death, The Haunted, Dimmu Borgir, etc.) at Parlour Studios in the UK. The album will be entitled “To Drink From The Night Itself” and it follows up 2014’s acclaimed comeback release “At War With Reality”. The worldwide release date will be May 18th, 2018 via Century Media Records.

The band has checked in with the following comment:

"We have wrapped up the recordings of the new record, and we are super psyched! It has been a smooth process, and very creatively fullfilling. All people that we have worked with on this project have stepped up to our vision of the final product, and we are very excited about the result.

As you might have seen, we have worked with Russ Russel on this one, and he is really a master of getting the most intense takes out of us, and also has an ear for the rawness that we were after for this one. The vocals were recorded with Per Stålberg here in Gothenburg, and he always makes me deliver to a 100%. Right now we are getting the mastering done, and every new song that is bounced to us produces huge grins on our faces. This album sounds hungry and mean.

The title of our new record will be "To Drink From The Night Itself", and it is, again a conceptual record. More details about the concept will be revealed once the album is more on its way. But it connects with the deep roots of the band, and has connections with some of the themes on "The Red In The Sky Is Ours".

2018, we are ready, let´s do this!" – Tomas Lindberg, Gothenburg, Jan 2018

AT THE GATES have also announced several more new shows for 2018 including a first club show of the year in Cologne, Germany (with Ultha and Nailed To Obscurity as supports) as well as various high-profile festivals like Pulp Summer Slam (The Philippines), Graspop (Belgium), Hellfest (France), Resurrection (Spain) or Summer Breeze (Germany). The complete list of announced shows so far can be found here; http://www.centurymedia.com/tourdatesartist.aspx?IdArtist=729

Artwork and info revealed for “To Drink From The Night Itself” album due May 18th, 2018 via Century Media Records.

The album’s front cover can be seen below and Tomas Lindberg checked in about it with the following comment:

"It has once again been an absolute pleasure working creativily with Costin. We had a lot of ideas for what we wanted to get across with the art this time around. Overall they were, not surprisingly, related to the general concept of the record. What is great with Costin is that he understands the band. He knows what we are and where we come from. And me and him also have a strong artistic connection. I have never met anyone that goes so deep into the world of my lyrics and concepts. When I first wrote to him describing my ideas, I was worried that my remarks were perhaps too long and too confusing, only to get back an even longer and very inspired response…

The inspiration for the actual front cover piece is taken from the Pergamon Altar, on display at the Pergamon museum in Berlin. It is of course linked closely to the concept that the whole record is based upon, but more on that later. But I will throw a name out there, for the interested ones; Peter Weiss.

I can't wait to get the whole record in my hands now, as this is just one of the many great artwork pieces that Costin has created for us on “To Drink From The Night Itself“..."

The main album’s tracklisting will be as follows:

AT THE GATES - “To Drink From The Night Itself“:
1. Der Widerstand
2. To Drink From The Night Itself
3. A Stare Bound In Stone
4. Palace Of Lepers
5. Daggers Of Black Haze
6. The Chasm
7. In Nameless Sleep
8. The Colours Of The Beast
9. A Labyrinth Of Tombs
10. Seas Of Starvation
11. In Death They Shall Burn
12. The Mirror Black

The album’s first single will be launched with a video shot by Patric Ullaeus / Revolver.se (Dimmu Borgir, In Flames, Arch Enemy, etc.) in the coming days, so watch out… !!!

9EKRbYS.jpg

Can't wait for this. At War With Reality was a perfect comeback album.

A bit formulaic. Good riff and sound but devoid of surprises or a cool solo.

Last edited:
Heard three songs from this new album and whilst they all sound decent they’re missing solos! I know guitar solos aren’t the total be all and end all of metal songs and I enjoy lots of stuff without them, edge of sanity for example hardly have any and I love their stuff. The songs I’ve heard all have sections which begs for a killer solo and when it doesn’t come the songs fall a bit flat for me.

I’ll have to back and dig some of their older albums out as it’s been a long while since I really listened to at the gates but I don’t remember having this issue with older material.

New album is really meh. Shit production, uninspired performance. It's like they used up all their ideas on the previous one.

New album is really meh. Shit production, uninspired performance. It's like they used up all their ideas on the previous one.
After this, I thought this band was done for. HOWEVER!

New album kicks ass. They cleaned up the production (Jens Bogren FTW), which was particularly horrible on the previous album. Don't expect anything like Slaughter Of The Soul - it's probably their slowest album, and most experimental album since before SOTS. Bass is more noticeable than ever, they also introduced some keyboards/slightly symphonic arrangements, there's a saxophone solo on one song etc.

This one is my favorite from the album:

Back