Armored Saint

Two bands/albums I always kinda thought sounded a bit like Symbol of Salvation and had that same kinda early 90s sound to them; Hanging in the Balance by Metal Church ( a great album despite the horrendous cover art) and Edge of Thorns by Savatage. Would be curious if people here think the same.

Two bands/albums I always kinda thought sounded a bit like Symbol of Salvation and had that same kinda early 90s sound to them; Hanging in the Balance by Metal Church ( a great album despite the horrendous cover art) and Edge of Thorns by Savatage. Would be curious if people here think the same.

Yeah I was getting a Savatage vibe as well, the only album I have though is Gutter Ballet.

Yeah I was getting a Savatage vibe as well, the only album I have though is Gutter Ballet.

Edge of Thorns is quite different from Gutter. Jon Olivia only operated in the wings by writing tracks for the band, but handed over the vocal duties to new guy Zachary Stevens. The style is still Savatage but with more emphasis on simpler songs with less "flash" and "pomp". Also, on a sad note, it was the last album to feature Criss Olivia...

Don't wanna derail the thread though, but those two albums should sit well with Symbol of Salvation fans...I think.

I’ll have to listen to those two albums!

Giving Symbol of Salvation a listen, really enjoying it and I'll probably pick it up.

The weird thing is that I'd always assumed they were a c-list thrash band with the cheesy name and the fact Bush went to Anthrax, but this album sounds more in the ball park of Slave to the Grind, No More Tears, Dr Feelgood, Appetite for Destruction, even Sonic Temple at times. That might just be a lazy comparison though as they are all fairly contemporary albums.

They were never even close to thrash, moreso a pure NWOBHM sound with some hard rock flair. All of their 80s albums were produced like glam metal, though, so they never really got the cred they deserved for writing classic metal tunes.

Back