An interesting observation on pom / icarus covers

gor

Ancient Mariner
someone from the imbb (can't check who 'cause the boards are down now) made a very intresting observation that i thought would be worthwhile mentioning here:

-if you see the pom backcover, you 'll see the open door and the clouded sky outside.
-if you now look above icarus on the flight of icarus cover, you'll see what we perceived until now as a little cube. could that be the open door of eddie's cell that leads out to the hellish planes of the single's cover?

regardless if this is the case or not, i thought it was quite a nice observation, makes you think... how profound maiden's covers used to be! they seem like a window to another reality.

certainly, the most creative cover being SIT cover, so much going on.

anyway, On POM, you will notice the yellow illuminating light on Eddie does not come from the door, i think this is fire from above, maybe the box eddie is in is on fire. and therefore, the Eddie on the Icarus cover may be burning POM eddie alive in his box....

interesting...

Thank you for sharing this with us Gor, indeed it is very interesting. Indeed the light does not come from the door, but i don't think it's fire from above. It is probably light from the fire on the icarus cover (it is not above but on a mountain) whose light comes in from a cell window bathing the lobotamized eddie. It makes you think, hehe

By the way, if you check the best album cover poll, I link to a thread on the IMBB where I have posted Derek Riggs' explanation of the cube in the Icarus cover. It's not the door, it's the whole cell. Nice little trivia. I also managed to find a whole version of the artwork via Electric Matthew from the IMBB (thanks mate!), I trust it'd be a nice addition to the pictures page of POM.

[img src=\'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/ElectricLegato/Maiden/aeae24d1.jpg\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /]

The picture's great, but just a bit big. Thanks anyway! [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Btw, maybe you should also post Riggs's explanation on this forum. On the IMBB, it'll be lost quite quickly.

Here it is!

Hi it's Derek Riggs

the flight of icarus was the first single from the "piece of mind" album. Piece of mind had a gatefold cover. the back of the gatefold had an open door with a view of clouds seen from above. a big cloudy vortex thing. the flying box on the icarus single is the room from piece of mind seen from the outside. most of these things come from my silly sense of humor, not from any attempt at being "meaningfull" or telling a story.

have fun
all the best
D

[!--emo&:howdy:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wavey.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wavey.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Nice one, Gor! As ever! [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Bah. I always thought that was a window on the back cover (due to only having the CD version). Interesting observation, I barely even thought about that cube on the FoI cover (you kinda take these things as Derek Rigg's random imagination, after a while) [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

I know this has sod all to do with this cover, but the I for flight of "I"carus, and the T for "T"rooper on the singles covers are identical. so is it I or T.

This is what Bruce said about the Piece of Mind cover in 1983:

- What is the meaning of Eddie's trepanation on the album cover?

It's an allusion to an old Aztec custom. Originally, the idea was to kill Eddie, but we thought that it was too much. So we trepanated him, like the Aztecs used to do to the sacrifice victims that they offered to their god. In fact, the album was going to be called Food For Thought, but we decided that Piece Of Mind was more subtle.

Back