Adrian Smith: "We adopted Kevin"

PlayClassics!

Educated Fool
I think this quote from Adrian from a recent interview speaks volumes.

A band should never feel they "adopted" their producer. To me it seems a lack of respect to think that way. Even if Adrian was intending it as a joke, I'm pretty sure it's only half a joke. It is revealing a certain attitude Maiden has towards their producer, that he is inferior to them and just their hired gun.

I am 100 % confident they would never say anything similar of Martin Birch. Birch had a respect from the Maiden guys they don't seem to have for Kevin. Birch had produced albums that Steve & Bruce were big fans of, I remember reading in the Bio they felt he was "too big for them".

Which I think was good. Now it feels the other way around, that Kevin has more respect for Maiden than they have for him. On the other hand, it's probably got more to do with Maiden being too comfortable as "world stars" now, compared to earlier in their career. Does there even exist a producer they would respect to the same degree as they did Martin Birch? Probably not...

I interpreted it, as Adrian saying he's part of the family. "One of us, one of us."

Still, they wouldnt think of themselves as "fathers" of Birch..... they would think of him as THEIR father, while they think of themselves now as the fathers of Kevin.... I think it's quite telling!

Maybe we should make, dunno, some kind of petition? Ask for Birch return to repair that disappointment that we call "Book of souls" (or "book of crap" as I like to call it?). We all know that new stuff is just embarrassing. God, even my father like new song! What kind of sick joke is that?

The father is actually Papa Rod, and Shirley is the adopted older brother, who looks after Adrian, because he's obviously the youngest.

Last edited:
kevin-allein-zu-haus-8.jpg

I hope this is maidens last album. Looked on Wikipedia and their all 59 apart from bruce who's 57 and nickos 63. Dont forget we are still waiting for History of Iron Maiden part 4.

You're far too generous. Obviously, since "Speed of Light" was not "Aces High II", the entire TBOS release should be cancelled, and Steve Harris forcibly placed in a retirement home.

Is it legal to take old musicians out back and shoot them like old horses?

LOL I don't wanna see my favourite band go downhill, I rather they be in their prime then seeing a 70 year old nicko making constipated faces and hearing bruces voice completly strained.

I reckon Adrian was referring to Kevin being brought in to the Maiden family.
Or in other words he wasn't intending to be patronising.

LOL I don't wanna see my favourite band go downhill, I rather they be in their prime then seeing a 70 year old nicko making constipated faces and hearing bruces voice completly strained.

From what I've heard from the past five years of the band, they're a far cry away from going "downhill". I think they're a better band now than they've ever been.

Yeah, I agree they mean he is part of the Maiden family, i very much don't think they consider him a hired gun, you don't record 5 albums with a guy if you don't respect his work.

I stumbled upon this interview from 2000 on YouTube, they talk about why they chose the Caveman:

Also, Bruce predicts the advent of high-bandwidth Internet. :D

Back