Votes: 3 9.7%
  • For the Greater Good of God

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Lord of Light

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • The Legacy

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
This is my first-ever poll involving songs from any Iron Maiden album and it's all about songs from the album A Matter of Life and Death. All you have to do is to vote for your favourite song. Best of luck!
A%20Matter%20Of%20Life%20And%20Death.jpg

And why the f*ck isn't this in the "Best of forum"? Read the damn Forum rules.  :eek:fftopic: :down:

I'll eat my own shoe if you don't get flamed for this.

Have a kick. :mad:

Hey Yax, let the mods worry about enforcing the rules.

For the moment, let Yax's undue actions come back to him. One praise back to thousand_suns, and one kick to Yax.

As a mod, I don't object to placing this poll in this forum, as long as discussion stays focused on AMOLAD.

However, I haven't voted yet because I can't decide. The leading contender for my favorite is BTATS. Early on, I was also a big fan of Breeg and FTGGOG. Lately, The Longest Day and The Legacy have been rising in my estimation. But the truth is, all the songs on AMOLAD are so good that it's just impossible to choose. I must consider the issue further.

Edit: Wow. Someone moved the thread while I was typing that reply. Must have been Shadow, he was in here when I arrived. See what I mean, Yax? The mods are on the case.

SinisterMinisterX said:
Edit: Wow. Someone moved the thread while I was typing that reply. Must have been Shadow, he was in here when I arrived. See what I mean, Yax? The mods are on the case.

I see what you mean mate.  :p

The more I listen to AMOLAD the more I am convinced that the whole album is really one big song. I mean this in the classical sense, a piece with many different movements, or an opera with several acts. Just goes to show that an album doesn't have to be a concept album in order for everything to fit together nicely. Although most of the songs on this album (actually all) can stand alone and still be great, standing alone doesn't do them justice. The best is when they're heard together in the order they appear on the album. So, in conclusion, I vote for AMOLAD as a whole work of art.  :ok:

Nice waffle, Natalie -- you have a career in politics.  For me, this one is easy: Longest Day.  As I posted elsewhere, the instrumental section from 4:30 through 6:39 -- and particularly the guitar duet theme at 5:34 and 6:06 -- is my favorite passage on the entire album, and this song holds up to repeated listening better than BTATS, TCDR and FTGGOG, in my view.  Least favorite: The Legacy (though that's a different poll, I suppose). 

Winner: For the Greater Good of God.

When I first heard the chorus, I felt it was distorted, which fits given as how the song aptly shows how religion can be distorted to fit one's violent and bigoted worldview.  I love the soft, pondering parts at the intro and the outro.  I love the solos, which I gather most people don't care for on the song.  Too bad.  I feel they fit.  I love how the fast parts just pick up out of nowhere, yet they're still full of emotion.  Great drumming, too.  It is a rare song to have speed in drums and guitars, yet maintain a strong emotion.

Current ranking (which could change at the next listening):
1.  For the Greater Good of God
2.  Brighter Than a Thousand Suns
3.  The Longest Day
4.  The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
5.  Lord of Light
6.  These Colours Don't Run
7.  Different World 
8.  Out of the Shadows
9.  The Pilgrim
10. The Legacy

The first 7 are SO CLOSE in ranking, it is not even funny.  I could have easily put Different World as #2.

1. The Legacy
2. The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg
3. For The Greater Good Of God
4. Different World
5. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
6. The Longest Day
7. These Colours Don't Run
8. The Pilgrim
9. Out Of The Shadows
10. Lord Of Light

I love the explosive charge-in part in Lord of light( beginning at 1min 45 sec.).
Bruce's way of singing those first couple of verses as usual fits the text perfectly. When he sings 'we are part of some strange plan' and 'why the slaughter of the brotherhood of man', I fell the strong, complex emotions he puts into it.

Can't really choose a favourite on this record.

1. For The Greater Good Of God
2. The Longest Day
3. Different World
4. The Pilgrim
5. These Colours Don't Run
6. The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg
7. Out Of The Shadows
8. The Legacy
9. Lord Of Light
10. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns.

all very good songs but For The Greater Good of God just Rocks!

The first time I heard Different World I was blown away. Not the most complex or dare I say oroginal song they have ever done but the Thin Lizzy/Blues slant, together with one of H's finest solos make this a fine little rocker and for the first few months I had this album this was my favourite track.

However Out of Shadows is an enormously listenable metal ballad with great lead work from dave and H.

Breeg also has a fantastic riff when the song kicks in, really heavy and "moshable". (Is that a word???)

However I think i must settle on The LongestDay. The intro, the words, and the solos make this a truly perfect record.

Well, for me, it is For the Greater Good of God, I even learnt it to play on a guitar somehow. But the problem with this album is, that at least half of the songs could be selected for the best of the album :) My other favorites are Lord of Light, The Legacy, These Colors Don't Run, Brighter Than a Thousand Suns and probably The Longest Day. Yeah, they really did a great job with this album.

For me it's a three-way, deadlocked tie between "For the Greater Good of God," "The Longest Day" and "These Colours Don't Run." "God" was my initial favorite, and no doubt the deepest song on the record — it's the song that converted me from an on-the-fence recent Maiden fan into a Maiden maniac (like, bought the whole catalog -- or the ones I was missing -- and listened to nothing else but for now going on three weeks straight, with no exit in sight). "The Longest Day," though, is tough to beat — gotta be the band's best war epic, hands down. The break into the chorus hits me like a shot of adrenaline to the heart every time. Triumphant. And "These Colours Don't Run" -- no less powerful, and good lord, is that one catchy. I love the lyric & message, too: by no means an endorsement of war, but a sincere salute to the courage of those who are called into battle, by choice or not. There's not a song I don't like on the whole album, but how "These Colours" wasn't picked as a single is a mystery to me. I think it roars like "The Wicker Man" (my favorite single) on steroids.

"These Colours Don't Run", "The Longest Day", and "For the Greater Good of God".

It's a tossup for me between Brighter Than A Thousand Suns, These Colours Don't Run, and FTGGOG.

I'd have to go w/BTATS because the performance at Abbey Road was killer, plus the Download Festival was great! Saw it all on the almighty You Tube  :D

What would we do without You Tube?  :eek:

this was a very hard choice to make as the album is packed with some of Maiden's best ever material but i went for "The Greater Good of God".

Back