A different kind of president.

Urizen

Trooper
I've read a very interesting news in the newspapers today.

The president of Slovenia  (the country bordering Italy and Austria) Janez Drnovsek moved out of the presidential residence to a cottage located in a mountain village. There he lives alone with his dog. He is a strict vegetarian, makes his own bread and occasionally covers himself with leaves(there is actually a picture in the article that proves it)  in order to get closer to nature, says London's Daily telefraf.
They also report that this week he called for his countrymen to start leading a simpler lifestyle, in order to prevent the end of the world, which could happen in 20 years from now, in his opinion.
Drnovsek made Slovenia a member of the EU, but now he claims the EU is spending on cows more money, than the half of the world population is making, reports BBC.
Source: "Vecernje novosti" (Evening news)

A man who gained great wisdom through some kind of spiritual revelation :S? Or just a man who is dissapointed with the today's material orientated world, and preferres solitude?

I do share his concern about the fate of the world, I must say.

I'm anxious to hear your thoughts about this.

WOW, sounds very interesting indeed. While I find his leaf outfit a little much, I admire his striving for a simpler existance and calling for his countrymen (people, whatever) to do likewise. Keep us posted on this if it indeed leads to something significant both in Slovenia and Europe.

Now he could also have gone down the deep end since I highly doubt the world will end in 20 years...

Umm...how is he carrying out his duties as president when he's that far removed from the resoures he needs?

I'd be looking to impeach this guy.

Urizen said:
Or just a man who is dissapointed with the today's material orientated world, and preferres solitude?

Why do I know this feeling?

Duke, Slovenia is one of the most successful and wealthiest countries in the EU, if you take into account that it's been independent for a mere 14 years, so the bloke must be doing something right.

That is really different, considering that Slovenia is a rich nation. I guess he prefers simplicity, and that you don't need grand stuff to rule. Though the solitude part may be his idea of giving all his troubles to the vice president for a while. Or not. Either way, he may also appointed a substitute.

Perun said:

Duke, Slovenia is one of the most successful and wealthiest countries in the EU, if you take into account that it's been independent for a mere 14 years, so the bloke must be doing something right.

But how is he carrying about with the daily business of the state? He must be on the telephone 24 hours per day trying to get things done. It seems a bit inefficient, to me.

Indeed, there may be some neglect in his duties, because couple of days ago there was a racial incident in Slovenia. Apparently citizens (white) of a small town or a village burned houses of some gypsies and made them run to the woods because of threats for their safety. Reactions from Europe are sharply criticising the governments angagement in this problem.

Here's some more info about Slovenian president: He is the president of a movement whose goal iho is to raise human consciesness and make world a better place, though some see it as a political organisation.
He survived cancers, by changing his lifestlyle, living in a mountain village and becoming a vegan(since 2001), and abandoning conventional medicine.
Perun said:

Same here, Perun.

IronDuke said:
But how is he carrying about with the daily business of the state? He must be on the telephone 24 hours per day trying to get things done. It seems a bit inefficient, to me.

Fact is, it works. Don't ask me how, but it does.  -_-

I would guess he delegates pretty much all of his responsibilities to assistants and other officials who were not given mandates by the people to carry out those actions. In these circumstances it looks like he can functionally be nothing but a figurehead.

Is Slovenia like the US, where the head of state and had of government are the same person? Or is it more like Germany where the President doesn't really have any daily powers anyway, and things are run by the Prime Minister (Chancellor)? If it's the latter, than I guess it's not really a big deal - he's not putting the people's business at risk, and he's setting a good example.

This is how the real hat looks like. Anyone out there dares to do the same and walk out on the street?

And yes, in Slovenia a prime minister holds the biggest part of the power, executive power especially since he is the one who runnes the government(council of ministers). But the president is the one who controls the military forces and makes, along with the prime and foreign ministers the biggest part of the visits to other countries heads of state.
This kind of situation is common in most European countries.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Back