80's Metal Supergroup vs 90's Grunge Supergroup

A

Anonymous

Which supergroup would win a charity battle of the bands reality TV show concept?
Go to [a href=\'http://supergroup.netfirms.com/index4.html\' target=\'_blank\']http://supergroup.netfirms.com/index4.html[/a] to vote for who you think should be on the Supergroups and who you think would win.
80's Metal Supergroup:
Eddie Van Halen - lead guitar
Neil Peart - drums
Ozzy - vocals
Angus Young - guitar
James Hetfield - vocals/guitar
Steve Harris - bass

vs

90's Grunge Supergroup:
Tom Morello - guitar
Dave Grohl - drums
Chris Cornell - vocals
Billy Corgan - guitar/vocals
Eddie Vedder - rhythm guitar
Robert DeLeo - bass guitar

For the benefit of national_acrobat and any others who don't know the 90s names:

Tom Morello - guitar <- Rage Against The Machines, Audioslave
Dave Grohl - drums <- Nirvana (guitarist/singer in Foo Fighters)
Chris Cornell - vocals <- Soundgarden, Temple Of The Dog, Audioslave
Billy Corgan - guitar/vocals <- Smashing Pumpkins
Eddie Vedder - rhythm guitar <- Pearl Jam (though he's their singer and not much of a guitarist), Temple Of The Dog (again as a singer)
Robert DeLeo - bass guitar <- Stone Temple Pilots

My assesment of that lineup:
Morello is brilliant. Best guitarist of the grunge era, by far.
Grohl was a good drummer, but I'd prefer Matt Cameron (Soundgarden, Temple Of The Dog, Pearl Jam).
Cornell is also a guitarist and should play rhythm guitar in addition to singing.
Billy Corgan was great in the context of the Pumpkins, but I don't think he'd work here.
Eddie Vedder is great, but have him stick to singing.
Robert DeLeo is a superb choice. Tasteful and melodic basslines without getting so flashy that he sticks out too much. Jeff Ament (Pearl Jam) would also have been a good choice.

Hey, wait one second:
Morello + Cameron + Cornell + Vedder + Ament = Temple Of The Dog, with Morello replacing Mike McCready. And since McCready is a fine guitarist, why not just have Temple reunite?

Hey, wait another second:
Temple Of The Dog = Pearl Jam's current lineup, except Stone Gossard plays 2nd guitar in PJ instead of Cornell. And since PJ is still active, why not just have them represent the 90s? They were the best band to come out of the grunge era anyway, with only Soundgarden being in the same league.

[!--QuoteBegin-national acrobat+Oct 14 2005, 11:38 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(national acrobat @ Oct 14 2005, 11:38 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Is it bad that I've only heard of two of the 90's group?
[snapback]120325[/snapback]​
[/quote]

No, I've heard only one of the musician's names before. I'm familiar with most of the bands' music though.

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+Oct 14 2005, 12:13 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Oct 14 2005, 12:13 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]For the benefit of national_acrobat and any others who don't know the 90s names:

Tom Morello - guitar <- Rage Against The Machines, Audioslave
Dave Grohl - drums <- Nirvana (guitarist/singer in Foo Fighters)
Chris Cornell - vocals <- Soundgarden, Temple Of The Dog, Audioslave
Billy Corgan - guitar/vocals <- Smashing Pumpkins
Eddie Vedder - rhythm guitar <- Pearl Jam (though he's their singer and not much of a guitarist), Temple Of The Dog (again as a singer)
Robert DeLeo - bass guitar <- Stone Temple Pilots

My assesment of that lineup:
Morello is brilliant. Best guitarist of the grunge era, by far.
Grohl was a good drummer, but I'd prefer Matt Cameron (Soundgarden, Temple Of The Dog, Pearl Jam).
Cornell is also a guitarist and should play rhythm guitar in addition to singing.
Billy Corgan was great in the context of the Pumpkins, but I don't think he'd work here.
Eddie Vedder is great, but have him stick to singing.
Robert DeLeo is a superb choice. Tasteful and melodic basslines without getting so flashy that he sticks out too much. Jeff Ament (Pearl Jam) would also have been a good choice.

Hey, wait one second:
Morello + Cameron + Cornell + Vedder + Ament = Temple Of The Dog, with Morello replacing Mike McCready. And since McCready is a fine guitarist, why not just have Temple reunite?

Hey, wait another second:
Temple Of The Dog = Pearl Jam's current lineup, except Stone Gossard plays 2nd guitar in PJ instead of Cornell. And since PJ is still active, why not just have them represent the 90s? They were the best band to come out of the grunge era anyway, with only Soundgarden being in the same league.
[snapback]120329[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I was trying to make sure that there wasn't 2 players from the same band - just to make it unique - I kind of broke that rule with Morello and Cornell (both with Audioslave). A lot of people have emailed me requesting Geddy Lee over Steve Harris, but I already had Neil Peart, so that's one of the reasons I went with Steve Harris.
Obviously, the forum readers here are bigger fans of 80's music. I think part of the competition is whichever supergroup sold less albums in a certain amount of time would have to open for the other supergroup in a charity concert.

[!--QuoteBegin-garjen+Oct 14 2005, 05:54 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(garjen @ Oct 14 2005, 05:54 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I think part of the competition is whichever supergroup sold less albums in a certain amount of time would have to open for the other supergroup in a charity concert.
[snapback]120364[/snapback]​
[/quote]

It sounds like a good idea as it's for charity and all but have you received permission from the people involved? If so it is a fantastic idea. (Why not Halford vocals btw?)

[!--QuoteBegin-garjen+Oct 14 2005, 11:54 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(garjen @ Oct 14 2005, 11:54 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I was trying to make sure that there wasn't 2 players from the same band - just to make it unique - I kind of broke that rule with Morello and Cornell (both with Audioslave).
[snapback]120364[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Audioslave wasn't formed until 2001, so you were right in the sense that Cornell and Morello didn't play together during the 90s.

[!--QuoteBegin-conorsdaman@hotmail.com+Oct 14 2005, 06:54 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(conorsdaman@hotmail.com @ Oct 14 2005, 06:54 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]It sounds like a good idea as it's for charity and all but have you received permission from the people involved?  If so it is a fantastic idea. (Why not Halford vocals btw?)
[snapback]120367[/snapback]​
[/quote]
To vote for Halford into the 80's Metal Supergroup - go to:
[a href=\'http://www.rateitall.com/i-552507-rob-halford-vocals-for-judas-priest.aspx\' target=\'_blank\']http://www.rateitall.com/i-552507-rob-half...das-priest.aspx[/a]

Back