I really don't have the problem with the idea of the limit, but I do have an issue with...how we handle the limit.

I think the whole thing started with the good intention of not having people drive drunk, but like most things it has gone way to far, but it is okay because it "saves the children".

I'm compelled to share my story. I was convicted of impaired driving twice in a relatively short period of time. This was in 1984 when I was a 20 year old full blown alcoholic. On an almost daily basis, I was climbing behind the wheel under the influence of alcohol and every other party favour I was able to ingest. There were instances that I was barely able to walk, and yet driving was never given a second thought. The judge was understandably upset with my second offence, and elected to make an example out of me. Thirty days later, my buddies came to pick me up, and to celebrate, cracked open a twenty four of beer for the ride home. Fucking insane, eh? During the following eight years, my addictions escalated, and I continued to drive while impaired. I finally sobered up in 1992, and haven't had a drink of alcohol in almost 19 years. Anyway, from almost the beginning of my sobriety (but never until then) I was wracked with guilt and a kind of horror at many of my past behaviors, impaired driving being one of the big ones. I make whatever amends I can still today: I'm everybody's favorite designated driver, and I make regular contributions to MADD. I'm thankful that my complete and utter disregard for my life, as well as everyone else's who was  on the road with me, didn't end in tragedy. I take responsibility for my alcoholism, as well as all of the stupid things that I did while in it's grip. I was lucky to survive relatively unscathed.

For those of you who think that DUI laws seem harsh, I can see your point. But I think they have to be. As a funeral director and embalmer I've worked intimately with the victims of impaired driving, both survivors and decedents. It's tough on the survivors. It's tough for me. Too close to home, if you will.

Take a fucking cab, hop on a bus, or walk. 'Nuff said.

And that, my friends, is what we call the other side.
Thanks Taker.
And congratulations on the 19.

I'm happy that you've shared that, taker. I have an addiction of my own and I can only hope to manage to fight it as well as you have.

I don't drink alcohol anymore. I've never been a real drinker, I've been drunk two times in my life. But I do remember a New Year's Day party in which I got a bit more than tipsy and started breaking bottles in the street. Then I walked into the hosue in which we were partying again and saw a guy walk by through the window. Then he fell to the ground and hurt himself in the face with a piece of glass. I felt like a total piece of shit for that afterwards, so I decided I wouldn't drink alcohol again.

In my country, there is an "agency" that you call when you can't drive (people mostly use it when they're drunk), and a guy comes with a portable motorcycle, puts it in your trunk and then drives you home.

I don't know exactly because I never used it, but I heard that it costs like a regular cab ride.

Back