The Concert Thread

Saw Sabaton open for Judas Priest last night in Newark NJ!
Glad I got to see this show since they are skipping TX where I live

Was also a great excuse to finally spend a day exploring NYC!
My Pedometer says I walked 7 miles!

This was my 3rd Sabaton and 11th Priest show.
Both were great and the full stadium was receptive to both.
LOT of Sabaton shirts in the audience!

Priest' lights and videos combined with heavy deep cuts made for a crazy set!

Going to post a video I recorded of Saints in Hell on the NP thread

Saw Judas Priest for the first time last night. I don't know if it's just the acoustics of the Rosemont Theater from where I was sitting (stage right 20 rows back), but the sound was godawful. Sounded tight from what I heard, but picking out the vocals and individual guitar notes during a riff was rather tough. Visually great.

Apparently I'd read of other people complaining about the sound as well. Interestingly enough, the power kept cutting (except for Rob's mic) during the start of each chorus of Living After Midnight. At first I thought it was part of the show to 'boost' the crowd singing the chorus because it kept happening at the same spot each time. Richie looking around a little confused indicated otherwise.

Saw Judas Priest for the first time last night. I don't know if it's just the acoustics of the Rosemont Theater from where I was sitting (stage right 20 rows back), but the sound was godawful. Sounded tight from what I heard, but picking out the vocals and individual guitar notes during a riff was rather tough. Visually great.
I was also there in the balcony and can agree - the sound wasn't great. It wasn't the worst I've ever heard, but certainly that theater did not fit their sound very well.

I was also there in the balcony and can agree - the sound wasn't great. It wasn't the worst I've ever heard, but certainly that theater did not fit their sound very well.
Honestly, it may be on me because I was on the 'outside' of the PA so it may have just been missing me. But, it reminded me like Maiden's 22 run where it sounded like everything was just being jumbled up in a concrete mixer at times - although with Maiden that was more because of the volume. Volume was fine for last night.

Apparently I'd read of other people complaining about the sound as well.
I just saw them tonight at The Armory in Minneapolis and the sound was great there, so you may be right about the theater itself being to blame.

Rob’s performance was a bit uneven, but not in the ways I expected — there was some difficult stuff that he completely nailed, and then some easy stuff that he just phoned in poorly, and it seemed to have more to do with his interest level than the challenge of the song. For example, he frankly butchered “You’ve Got Another Thing Coming”, but then completely shredded it on “Sinner” (which totally rips live, with their heavier modern sound).

Really good show overall for Priest, I’m glad I got to see them at least once before they pack it in.

As for Sabaton, their performance was good, and I give them bonus points for using an entire tank for a drum stand; but their songwriting is just so derivative and interchangeable that it’s hard to stay interested. There were some nice musical passages and a few good hooks, and I liked when he played dress-up with the gas mask, but otherwise Sabaton just isn’t my jam.

I just saw them tonight at The Armory in Minneapolis and the sound was great there, so you may be right about the theater itself being to blame.

Rob’s performance was a bit uneven, but not in the ways I expected — there was some difficult stuff that he completely nailed, and then some easy stuff that he just phoned in poorly, and it seemed to have more to do with his interest level than the challenge of the song. For example, he frankly butchered “You’ve Got Another Thing Coming”, but then completely shredded it on “Sinner” (which totally rips live, with their heavier modern sound).
100% this was the same and has been the other times I’ve seen Priest. Rob just speed talks through the hits and lets the crowd sing the chorus. YGATC was the biggest culprit and especially noticeable due to its placement in the set coming immediately after a killer performance on Panic Attack.

Reactions: Jer
Back