Opeth

By Request, Part 1 - Orchid:

• Total voters
Thank you.

BTW, I don't know if it was because of the pushing back of the date (and therefore people cancelling), the venue, or just overall fact that Opeth are not as popular as Tullica or Maiden, but I was really up close and even when I went for a beer or to take a leak, I could return back almost next to the stage without any difficulties. That's just sweet, honestly.

Deliverance.jpg

Last night the audience requested Ghost of Perdition so much, they played it instead of Moon Above. What a bummer that would've been for me :D

I tend to revisit Opeth every October/November sort of time. Any other time of year doesn't feel right! I;ve had Deliverance on a lot the last week or so, great album

OK so I listened to BRI a lot over the past few days and I finally get it. Yeah, it could be shorter, but it has many brilliant parts. I'm sure it'll kick ass live in roughly 20 days :D Btw. can you guys please not discuss the setlist outside of this thread? I'd really appreciate it as I have decided not to look it up before seeing the show.

OK so I listened to BRI a lot over the past few days and I finally get it. Yeah, it could be shorter, but it has many brilliant parts. I'm sure it'll kick ass live in roughly 20 days :D
I love it. I understand that it's a bit too long and could have ended a few minutes sooner, but some of those counterpoint lines are just brilliant.

I'm on an Opeth binge for months, already. Today, I'm watching a bunch of dvd's, bootlegs and making of's; right now, Wacken 2015, one of their best gigs, on youtube. Just superb!

I am a weak person and looked up the setlist.

1.jpg

The first song is cut off and it's probably Ghost of Perdition. My predictions were all right, except I thought he'll cop out and do Melinda instead of The Moor and I expected Cusp of Eternity instead of Eternal Rains. Amazing setlist though. Black Rose Immortal in 2022, Alexander The Great in 2023, who would've thought?

I am a weak person and looked up the setlist.

View attachment 23622

The first song is cut off and it's probably Ghost of Perdition. My predictions were all right, except I thought he'll cop out and do Melinda instead of The Moor and I expected Cusp of Eternity instead of Eternal Rains. Amazing setlist though. Black Rose Immortal in 2022, Alexander The Great in 2023, who would've thought?
It is Ghost of Perdition.
1pfeuxoje6z91.jpg

Honestly, this is a killer setlist. People are going to bitch. And yes, many of these songs are ludicrously overplayed, but to see Opeth play Ghost of Perdition, The Moor, Deliverance, Blackwater Park and Black Rose Immortal in one show is something that should be celebrated.

Do we need spoilers? I thought they were there to protect NP primarily.

I have to say Black Rose Immortal aside I'm pretty meh on this one. I've seen most of those songs live, it would be a fantastic show but I think they could've been a bit more adventurous for a 30th anniversary celebration show. Black Rose Immortal is amazing though.

Just wanted to say that in the past weeks my appreciation for Moonlapse Vertigo grew thousandfold.

I don't know why it is that I managed to forget or overlook it so long... but if you asked me now if it is my no. 1 Opeth song of them all, I'd be at least strongly inclined to nod.

There is something so unexpectedly sublime about the intro that doesn't ever let me go. Something almost Sehnsucht-like.

On the other hand, I still don't "get" Serenity Painted Death - especially on an album that already has Godhead's Lament. If that clicks one day, Still Life might become my favourite Opeth album.

Seriously weird. Despite the disappointment, it also defeats the purpose of the entire tour.
Yeah, if they are switching songs around, that means they never really cared about the poll results.

SHAME!

We'll see what happens with the other shows. I mean I'm still going and all but would prefer finally seeing BWP over Harvest. Couldn't they switch out Ghost of Perdition which they've played on the last tour, with a song without growls, but left BWP which they've skipped for years now?

Back