Quick GMAC question

Status
Not open for further replies.

LooseCannon

Enterprise-class aircraft carrier
Staff member
Let me know if you are OK with 4 matches per round or if you prefer to slow it down as we get into the top contenders. If so, is 2 per round good?

Let me know if you are OK with 4 matches per round or if you prefer to slow it down as we get into the top contenders. If so, is 2 per round good?
Okay so here is my question: League 1 = the very best as per amount of nominees and list entries right? After that, since the streams will have come to a close, we’ll have 16 albums remaining that will battle it out tournament style, right? Or am I getting mixed up here?

I think 4 matches per round is fine. After league 1 it’s all between albums we’ve already listened to anyway, and it’ll still slow down at the end for a dramatic finish when there are fewer than 8 albums left.

Same rules and framework should apply throughout. My position is, tweaking is inheritly bad.

Last edited:
It depends on what your goal is Yax. Russian roulette?

E.g. ever seen Wimbledon?
There are seeded players in big tournaments and these have special treatment. They do not face each other in their first match.

There are seeded players in big tournaments and these have special treatment. They do not face each other in their first match.

And this is what happened in the GMAC. We're not at the beginning of the game anymore, this is already a late stage. We're now at the point where the big albums join the game.

An album's first encounter may be late in the game, it is still is a first encounter. And we are early in the game as well, when we still have all these less popular albums banging around.

The big albums join now indeed, but imo it has quite an impact if they start hitting each other immediately.

The big albums join now indeed, but imo it has quite an impact if they start hitting each other immediately.

Imagine the big albums joined now to compete against the small ones that bravely stood their ground throughout the game only to wipe them out just like that.

I see. Well, at least they'd have had their moment of shining and attention.
Instead, now they will be wiped out in a further stage of the game in which more "equal" albums would make for more exciting duels.
Well... we will definitely have exciting duels coming up nonetheless, surely near the end. I'd only hoped that the field of "strongies" could be bigger in future stages of this game, in order to have even more excitement.

Sport is different, it has exact metric. Tennis tournament audience does not vote for the winner.

It's not even the same sport all the time. People vote for Rush, I like Rush too, Rush is not metal.

I know "metal" is just semantics but I'd like "rock" bands to pit amongst each other here. So they don't get in the way. As it stands, a lower key Rush album ranks much higher on this board than say early Hellhammer, but at least for me the latter is more metal in every way, and it's more influential for metal.

IMO, and without offense to anybody, but if stuff like G'n'R, AC/DC, Rush, Led Zeppelin gets in top 10 this place is no different in it's average than some Rolling Stone shit.

So the only suggestion I have, but for the next seasons, is a different kind of matchmaking. Like having multiple Wimbledon invite cards, that are passed on to prog rock/other influential bands. They match amongst eachother first. The bands that go through this "qualification" will be pitted against higher ranking metal bands. As it stands the underrated/unknown/less mainstream metal albums get their ass wiped by both bigger and more accessible metal bands and rock bands too.

Right now if any of those rock bands, any album, gets matched against a proper extreme metal band, the metal band is going to lose.
It's like saying "I don't like this tennis player's style so I'm going to vote for a volleyball player instead".

Last edited by a moderator:
It is comparable with setting up a sports tournament. Voting, playing: it is about distributing strength (strength = popularity in this game) in a balanced manner. Using a rank or/and estimation.

The genre talk has nothing to do with that. Extreme service players or super left hand players, volley players, bassline players, fast runners, all these variations do not have their own tournament in a tournament. The differences are treated as being equal.

Last edited:
I didn't say volley players I said volleyball. As in different sport.

I am not in favour of rock bands in this tournament being treated as first class citizens. That's all.
This board is too biased towards 70s hard rock and prog rock, and against extreme metal.

In these conditions and rules, rock bands have advantage against metal bands in a metal contest.

I see. I don't think big 70s rock bands will get very far, other than the odd Priest or Sabbath album. And some of them are in the process of being trashed by Maiden and related.

In the end it depends on what you want to achieve.
If you want to show average member of Maidenfans.com then this stuff is ok.

If you want people to discover/rediscover metal bands and albums, this is not it. Why should I put my time away in digesting a record if I know it's going to be beaten by some classic rock shit right in that match. I won't.

There is no such thing as being equal in a beauty contest, Foro. This is not sports. This is art.

There may not be a classic rock dominance. There is Dickinson and Maiden dominance and a few Priest and Sabbath albums may come right after that. Then we have Dream Theater and Opeth. Then perhaps Helloween or something.

E.g. ever seen Wimbledon?
This tournament is not based on Wimbledon. It is based on the FA Cup, in which:

"The tournament consists of 12 randomly drawn rounds followed by the semi-finals and the final. Entrants are not seeded, although a system of byes based on league level ensures higher ranked teams enter in later rounds – the minimum number of games needed to win, depending on which round a team enters the competition, ranges from six to fourteen."

This is what I did. I ranked all 584 participating albums (no small feat) and sorted them into groups of 32, randomized each group, and then gave the top albums later-entry byes so we wouldn't just be sitting on Powerslave for a year. We're at the end of the game now and those albums are entering and doing exactly what happens in the FA Cup most of the time - murdering the competition. This is the actual intent of the game.

If you would like to run a Metal Wimbledon, be my guest. Otherwise, the rules and intent of my game have been posted for an entire year and it was fine until people saw their darlings getting killed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back