THE CRUSADE OF EPICS: Results -> A Change Of Seasons wins!

This Enslaved song started off promisingly enough, but then it took a bizarre left turn. Most of it is bright, laid back prog rock with a cool atmosphere, but then it’s intercut with some other shitty Gollum-vocalled doom metal song that doesn’t fit at all. Then Gollum bleeds into the prog-rock for a while, producing nothing of value other than the unintentional hilarity of hearing cackly phlegmatic vocals accompanied by a saxophone, before finishing off as the much better original prog rock song that I would have preferred hearing rather than this patchwork mess of clashing styles.
I'll take it!

mostly non-melodic poser screaming for vocals
I mean, Robb Flynn is the biggest poser in metal, so it makes sense his screaming is poser-like.

• Haha
Reactions: Jer
Hiindsiight is a masterpiece and possibly my favorite Enslaved song. They even managed to get me to like the saxophone part (I don't really like saxophones in music in general).

Halo is unoffensive but boring song. Vocals are not good. Musicianship is fine otherwise, but it's all too by-the-book safe groove/thrash stuff trying to be proggy.

Wasn’t a big fan of the vocalist in Enslaved, but it was a very interesting song. Loved the saxophone solo!!!

Why the hell was “Halo” nominated? Just to prove that Robb Flynn can’t write for shit? Solo was good, everything else mostly sucked.

Hiindsiight.

i7QzNSH.jpg

Results of Round 7:
Machine Head - Halo
Enslaved - Hiindsiight

Gamma Ray - Heading For Tomorrow (Nominated by @Jer)
vs.
Symphony X - The Accolade (Nominated by @MrKnickerbocker)

It’s certainly up there! The sequel is also absolutely incredible.

I do think this song writes the textbook for keyboard layers. It’s just astounding the atmosphere that Pinnella (and the rest of the band) create here.

The sequel is also absolutely incredible.
The sequel has a fantastic chorus, and I do like it a lot, but to me it fails to really get where the original did in spades. I think that has partly to do with the runtime. They get to the point a bit too quickly and it loses out on a bit of exposition I feel was kinda necessary. And the emotion in the original song, where he dies in his efforts, doesn’t really reappear. His son is carrying on the torch, but I don’t feel as invested in him.

Like I said, pretty great song, but the OG is just so much better IMO. The sequel is definitely an 8 or 9 though.

Ouch, tough draw.

“Heading For Tomorrow” embodies an epic feel throughout, with booming riffs, soaring vocals, big reverb, and that wonderful first extended interlude that starts with such finesse and slowly builds over several minutes into a grand crescendo that finally turns around and kicks your ass throughout the rest of the track. Though I’m not a big fan of Ralf Scheepers, I think the original version of the track with his vocal has more punch and less Elmer Fudd than the version from Blast From The Past with Kai Hansen on vocals. Yes, you could argue that much of the song is a big jam session, but it’s a very directed one with great feel that rocks hard.

The Symphony X track has more musical meat on its bones, and the clean section bookends are great, as are some of the soaring vocal bits in between. Unfortunately its use of synth often has a cheesy feel, especially on the bad synth strings, and I don’t think it flows as well or rocks as hard as the Gamma Ray track. But it’s still very good.

Sorry, @MrKnickerbocker, but I’m going to stick up for my own nominee here, though I won’t be disappointed with either of these tracks advancing.

Heard both of these songs for the first time.
TBH I expected less from Gamma Ray and expected more from Symphony X. Heading for Tomorrow is actually cool until last 4 minutes when bits of wankery occure. On the other hand, I feel The Accolade needs much more listens before I get it. It looks to me it sounds way different in the middle of the album than drawn out alone like here.

You really can’t just listen to a Symphony X song one time. “The Accolade” didn’t stick out to me the first few listens. Its sequel’s chorus did, though. And then I started paying more attention and wow, it’s a fucking awesome medieval-sounding tale about a Don Quixote* kind of character and I love it.

Also to Jer’s point: this is one of the few Symphony X songs where the keyboard doesn’t sound cheesy at all, IMO.

*I know it’s talking about a real knight and stuff, but it gives me those vibes too.

Also to Jer’s point: this is one of the few Symphony X songs where the keyboard doesn’t sound cheesy at all, IMO.
Dude, those synth strings sound pretty low rent. I actually can’t think of any other examples of synth strings that sound worse than these off the top of my head. We’re talking “mom’s basement in 1989” quality here...

Hmm . . . Beyond the Realms of Death Heading for Tomorrow starts out strong, but at 14 minutes it really could do with some trimming. The Accolade wins by virtue of not outstaying its welcome

Back