Nights of the Dead, Legacy of the Beast: Live in Mexico City (new live album)

I'm confident that the change from Shirley to Newton for the live releases is due to declining CD sales, putting a more restricted budget in place.

Not bothering with a dvd release for TBOS and not even bothering with any footage for NOTD would back up your theory. I'd argue that the disappearance of singles would be another one of those cold economic decisions.

I'm confident that the change from Shirley to Newton for the live releases is due to declining CD sales, putting a more restricted budget in place

Nope not a chance, that can only be an excuse.

How much would a difference in price of producer be? 5k? 10k? Peanuts for any sort of Maiden release. Even if they budget per release which I don't think they do. Why on earth would a band of millionaires put an artifical ceiling on the quality of the release by imposing a tight budget. Answer - for nothing. Proof - Maiden records when they want to, where they want to, not when it's convenient in a financial sense.

Shirley obviously wasn't in for some other reason - maybe his schedule or the situation with the pandemic.

Not bothering with a dvd release for TBOS and not even bothering with any footage for NOTD would back up your theory. I'd argue that the disappearance of singles would be another one of those cold economic decisions.

Singles have been slowly going away for some time...

Nope not a chance, that can only be an excuse.

How much would a difference in price of producer be? 5k? 10k? Peanuts for any sort of Maiden release. Even if they budget per release which I don't think they do. Why on earth would a band of millionaires put an artifical ceiling on the quality of the release by imposing a tight budget. Answer - for nothing. Proof - Maiden records when they want to, where they want to, not when it's convenient in a financial sense.

Shirley obviously wasn't in for some other reason - maybe his schedule or the situation with the pandemic.
Shirley was available. He has marketed his less busy than usual schedule on FB, soliciting customers. Steve obviously think Newton is good enough (I'm sure he's very good, but his Steve's partnership with him is obviously not working that great, whoever is at fault). And it's conveniently mixed at Harris' barn studio. I think somebody mentioned Newton lives on his estate, too, much like Richie Faulkner once did.

Last edited:
The sound is indeed very underwhelming, there are audience bootlegs that sound better and also the videos shared by maiden in their Youtube channel. Must admit tho while still very compressed it doesn't clip. The sound is very thin.

Shirley was available. He has marketed his less busy than usual schedule on FB, soliciting customers. Steve obviously think Newton is good enough (I'm sure he's very good, but his Steve's partnership with him is obviously not working that great, whoever is at fault). And it's conveniently mixed at Harris' barn studio. I think somebody mentioned Newton lives on his estate, too, much like Richie Faulkner once did.

Ah ok. Didn't know about Shirley's availability. Yet still it seems like relationship problem rather than budgeting.

On topic : SOTC on YT is the worst live SOTC, including the Blaze bootlegs.

Newton did the Live Chapter in 2017 as well. This is a permanent change.

On a sidenote, Shirley even mixed the first British Lion released in 2012, but for the second one, released this year, Steve went with Newton.

The quick attack/slow release compression was how they used to do it 15 years ago for concert DVDs. The reason, I think, is at least partly because of all those shitty 5.1 systems that used to be so popular. They aren't very powerful, and mostly consisted of tweeters and tiny woofers accompanied by a shitty 8-10" subwoofer which played back everything from 150hz and below, with a nice gap between that and where the tiny woofers started. So a sudden shift in volume could bring those tiny systems over the edge, distort, and possibly, if you play it loud enough, damage the system. And then there's the rest of the compression before that as well.

Haven't listened to RaR.
Never had these problems with my example of the shitty system.

This is a good change then, book of souls live sounded very nice, I really like the drum sound on book of souls live although the guitars needed a bit more boost. And the loudness wars is still an issue ofc.

Muhaha

It sounds huge, very full. With my shitty system that is. Not on other people their non-shitty systems. ;---)

It says compression data and the previous sentence clearly talks about dynamics
"In conjunction with DialNorm are dynamic range compression options, which compromise the audio quality."

Reactions: Yax
Ah ok. Didn't know about Shirley's availability. Yet still it seems like relationship problem rather than budgeting.

No relationship problem whatsoever. Tony Newton produced TBOS: Live Chapter and after that Shirley produced studio album #17 in Paris in 2019.

I am more inclined to think that having your footie mate producing a live album from a compilation of live shows recorded during the tour is significantly cheaper than doing it with Kevin Shirley.

Singles have been slowly going away for some time...

A long time, but my point is if there was any money in it for Maiden you could be sure they'ld still be releasing them, and on three formats. Same with dvds. Albums too, why get a good mix when most people will be listening to mp3's on pc speakers or cheap headphones?

It says compression data and the previous sentence clearly talks about dynamics
"In conjunction with DialNorm are dynamic range compression options, which compromise the audio quality."
Right, I'm reading it now. Basically, in most receivers, mine included, there is built in compression which you can activate or deactivate, which is applied to what it plays (i.e. Night mode). Mine is turned off. I remember ripping the 5.1 track from Fogerty's 2005 live DVD, with the same slow attack/long release compression though.

I'm going to check with my actual RiR DVD to be certain, but I'm pretty sure the last time I watched it I used the Dolby decoder. I could also be wrong and been using the wrong decoder which applied some kid of compression. Guess I'll find out. Would definitely make sense to not having a track with that kind of compression, so I hope I'm wrong.

Back