ToolVivor Results

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Welp, gave it one listen. Once again: so much wasted time on this album. In the angry words of Tool, "Fuck your interludes." As if half of Tool's songs weren't long and meandering enough, 11 fucking minutes of interludes is too many minutes.

Anyway, I'm gonna listen again (minus the interludes) before voting. Currently the only songs I love (or like even more than a 7/10) are Forty-Six & Two, Aenema, and H.

I know there is no way for this to not sound condescending, but I'm genuinely interested to know something from anyone in this thread that considers themselves a Tool fan:

1. Do you do drugs?
1a. Do you do drugs while listening to Tool and does that make this music more engaging?

2. Were you angry as a young adult or teenager?

3. Are you a Pink Floyd fan?
Collin can answer.
1. Occasionally the pot.
1a. Not really. I’ve done it a couple times and the experience was good and bad. Never done this album with that though.
2. I’m pretty mellow I think. I get angry in traffic.
3. Only a few albums.

I usually don’t listen to the interludes, some of them are quite annoying like Ions. The real depth in this album is the songs which have so many layers.

Ok this album is much better than Undertow. And a lot closer to the albums I've known from them (Lateralus and FI), the general sound is between Undertow and Lateralus leaning towards the latter(alus). I thought I can escape writing Lateralus so many times in the same sentence, but whoever created English had other plans. Maybe he is The Clairvoyant. I just checked and it wasn't one person, it was a process. So maybe only the person who invented the world "latter" is The Clairvoyant. TBH this is a question I wanted to search the answer to for a long time, but never got around to it, now I know thanks to Tool. My listening endeavors are not made in vain!

Voting against Crawl Away (hard decision between this and Hooker), Swamp Song, Undertow, 4 Degrees, Flood and Third Eye. I think I want Eulogy to win the whole thing for now, but it could change when my mind hears Lateralus and FI again.

Pushit's chorus sounds so much like that part in Flood, the suffocate part.
And apparently the name of the album is AEnima while the name of the song is AEnema, I was confused because I said AEnema but remembered AEnima, so I was and wasn't wrong at the same time.

Pretty easy votes here.

Prison Sex
Bottom
Swamp Song
4 Degrees

+
Hooker With a Penis (more angry Maynard lameness)
Third Eye (more drawn out, bloated lameness)

Next votes after these will go to Eulogy and Pushit for being too meandering and bloated, also Stinkfist for just being a meh song.

I was right, voted for all Undertow songs save for Intolerance, Prison Sex and Sober. Considered saving the title track, but I only really like the second half of it, I think Intolerance is the better song overall. Eulogy, H, Jimmy, Pushit are in the firing line for the next round.

Any chance you can extend the deadline a little bit, @Collin? I'm not going to be able to get to this before it ends, but I should have some time to listen later on tonight.

Ænima is truly a great album. Yeah the interludes are a bit much, but they are easy enough to skip, and as far as actual songs go, the consistency of quality is pretty damn impressive. I really have no idea what my favorite is; there are 5 songs here that could easily occupy that spot at any given time: The first 4 songs of the album + Ænema. All of which I wouldn't hesitate to give a 10/10 to.

Third Eye, however, is one song that just never really clicked with me. That one will have to get a vote from me, and so will Hooker. Jimmy would be next up on the chopping block, but I'll spare it for now, because there's several more Undertow songs here that really need to go.
Bottom, Crawl Away, , and Flood are all getting votes as well.

Eliminated:
Bottom
Crawl Away
Swamp Song
4 Degrees

We need more songs in the game therefore, Lateralus joins the game. This will be a longer round to compensate for a new album already.

Hm, tough round, the only one from Lateralus that I'd put in the firing line is The Patient. Gonna need to think on this.

I really like the Patient. Unfortunately, Tool has so many strong songs that it actually ends up being one of the weakest for me. Same goes for Ticks & Leeches.

Some songs have to go now, Undertow, Third Eye and Hooker are this rounds sure victims. From DRT I only really like Disposition, so grouping them makes me give it the 4th vote... I'll wait for the 2 other votes but it's probably Sober and either Jimmy or Pushit

Unfortunately, Tool has so many strong songs that it actually ends up being one of the weakest for me.

I agree. The Patient is actually a better song than I remembered, just weaker in comparison to the rest of the album.

Seven votes does make this a little easier. Easy picks for Intolerance, Undertow, Eulogy, H., Jimmy and Pushit. Bit of a toss up between The Patient and Third Eye for the last pick but after a quick head-to-head listen I went with Third Eye, some cool stuff but too many sections just drag on.

Voted for everything from Undertow except Sober, Hooker, Third Eye, Ticks and Leeches (which is at turns either nü-metal or super boring), and the sequence at the end of Lateralus (which is bloated and boring as fuck).

Last edited:
Elaborate?

I have very little interest or patience with songs that simply build on a single idea for an extended period of time. The final three songs on this album are just extended jams with some half-assed, effects laden vocals that do nothing for me.

On an album that features songs like The Grudge and Lateralus (that manage to distill the Tool formula into complex, interesting songs that actually justify their length), I find those final three songs to be a droll waste of time.

It's impossible for me to vote for anything from Lateralus this soon. Other than the three pointless (and thankfully short) interludes, the album is almost perfect. The Grudge, The Patient, Schism, Parabola, and the title track are all top tier Tool; Ticks & Leeches and the ending trilogy are also very good. It's hard to argue against Lateralus being Tool's greatest achievement - I think Fear Inoculum almost reached the genius of Lateralus, but fell just short (10,000 Days is definitely weaker than both).

I don't even remember what I voted for. To me, Tool's pre-Lateralus material is mostly filler. Sober and Stinkfist are solid songs, while Forty-Six & 2 and Ænema are great songs - but almost everything else from their first two albums and the EP bores me to tears. You can start to hear some of the birth of Lateralus creep through on some Ænima songs, but it's fragmented at best.

Eliminated:
Undertow
Hooker With A Penis
Jimmy
Third Eye

Promoted:
Intolerance
Prison Sex
Sober

And Collin's favorite song is out. :(

This looks like a finals poll :bigsmile:

H, 46&2, Ticks and Leeches, DRT and I can't bring myself to vote out another song. I thought I'd vote Pushit sometime soon but it really grew on me.
May I also add that Lateralus feels so different now than before we started this. I wrote I think in round 2 how AEnima is about middle-way between Undertow and Lateralus but I seriously underestimated the disparity between them. It's like listening to NotB and then to AMOLAD, the lack of aggression feels so strange after hearing a song like Sober, hard to believe it's the same band.

Back