LEGACY OF THE BEAST 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y’all don’t think Steve Harris, Mr. “The Mel-Oh-Dee-Goes-Ex-Act-Ly-Like-Thiiiiiiis” would take contention to changing tunings? “The melody isn’t in C#, it’s in D, boys!”

He might, then again he might not. We don't know what he might or might not think because as far as I'm aware he's never said anything about it. It's just speculating based on a caricature of Steve's personality.

In fact the only anecdote I can ever remember about Steve and changing the keys of songs was related to Cross Eyed Mary. Bruce wasn't in the studio when it was recorded so Steve rang him up to see if he was happy singing it in the key they used or if he wanted to change the key.

Dropped D doesn't constitute "downtuning" per se though, it just gives you one more downward tone on the low E string. It's a fairly common alternate tuning.

From a vocal point of view dropped d would be the same, i.e you could play hallowed transposed to D just by using dropped-d tuning.

EDIT: you've pretty much said the same thing in your final sentence. D'oh!

Last edited:
Harsh words. That being said, when Blaze was faced during a recent interview with Rock Candy (conducted by Malcolm Dome) with a quote from 1999 from Nicko about him being overburnt by the old material live, his reply was that he had no problems with any of the old songs he did live with Maiden!

I'm a Blaze fan of sorts, I backed him in the band and was rooting for him to succeed and I like 3 of his solo albums a lot and 2 somewhat. But a lot of his utterances on his time in Maiden are trying to absolve himself of any responsibility for not being up to the job and it seems to be working on young Maiden fans who weren't there at the time.

As a Blaze fan, he’s definitely living with some rose tinted glasses, but luckily his new music is pretty exciting, particularly that trilogy he released. The fact that he didn’t just give up after Maiden to either leave the music industry completely or live out the rest of his days playing nothing but TXF and VXI songs speaks volumes to me. He puts a lot of effort into what he does and I like that a lot.

I'm a Blaze fan of sorts, I backed him in the band and was rooting for him to succeed and I like 3 of his solo albums a lot and 2 somewhat.

I was pulling your leg, as I remember you being really supportive back in the day. ;)

But a lot of his utterances on his time in Maiden are trying to absolve himself of any responsibility for not being up to the job and it seems to be working on young Maiden fans who weren't there at the time.

I think you hit the nail right on the head there.

Bruce is great, Maiden is great. No one here would say otherwise.

But even the greats have 'off' days. Every great artist has some stinkers, great qb's throw interceptions- it happens. Just because they are great doesn't mean they are immune to critique.

Looking forward to Saturday! Time to pick out the best Maiden shirt to wear... choices choices.

And after watching some of that Buffalo video- wow. They sounded AMAZING!!

Last edited:
New interview with Janick Gers about the tour:

Some of the interviews promoting the tour - not this one though - are quite short. I wonder if new music might have been discussed too and that content is under embargo...
"giddy laugh"

Sounds like the Janick we all know and love (or maybe he was just one straw away from becoming totally non compos mentis from everyone going on about that damned plane ...)

Just got home from the Cincy show. Holy shit was that place packed. Bruce said there were over 15k there and it felt like it. Bruce talked about new music coming out soon. Nicko came out after the encore and praised the packed house for being awesome and warned us all of the dangers of drunk driving, speaking from experience i guess. Honestly cant remember another time Nicko addressing the crowd.
It was cool to talk to a couple of people who drove down from Cleveland to see Maiden since I must have driven to there a half dozen time in the last 25 years to see Maiden. I might try to go to the Indy show but the wife was luke warm at best when brought it up to her. Good shit overall. Back to nursing this beer trying outpace my insomnia.

Don't know if Nicko had any sort of incident in the past. I do know he no longer drinks due to his religious beliefs. So it could just simply be that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back