Blind Guardian

Hope they come to Mexico. I don't have to money to go to the U.S or Europe, so hopefully they come down here. I missed the Helloween tour, I don't want to miss this one.
Let's see what the tour looks like. I'm willing to go to Vegas, and I'm sure it's not too hard to get you there (read: I'm sure LC can dig a few hundred bucks out to make it happen if needed).

On that...

But the US is only next door! Is it that the wall will prove to be insurmountable?

They will certainly visit North America at some point. They will most probably headline Wacken in 2020 or 2021. The European Festivals are a guarantee but I don't know if they'd do them before or after a theater/arena tour.

more like airline prices for international flights. I make about 12,000 pesos a month. When I needed to go to Tucson in December for business purposes an airplane ticket ONE WAY, mind you, was 13,500. A round-trip bus fair was 5,000.

So indeed we'll see. I couldn't go to helloween due to no time. So dates will matter. Finding substitutes is a pain.

more like airline prices for international flights. I make about 12,000 pesos a month. When I needed to go to Tucson in December for business purposes an airplane ticket ONE WAY, mind you, was 13,500. A round-trip bus fair was 5,000.
Where do you fly out of?

Normally, out of Guadalajara Jalisco. The flight I quoted above was from Hermosillo, Sonora to Tucson, Arizona, a 45 minute flight!

I guess I'm just used to paying that for a two-way ticket from Mexico City, a 4 hour flight. I hate flying, what a horrid industry. Can't wait to have a car again so I can just drive everywhere.

I guess I'm just used to paying that for a two-way ticket from Mexico City, a 4 hour flight. I hate flying, what a horrid industry. Can't wait to have a car again so I can just drive everywhere.
I love flying, even though I don't fit nicely in the seats. Gets me where I wanna go quickly.

But over both, I vastly prefer taking the train.

Mexico has great buses. We're trying to bring trains or rather light rails back. But flying is a nightmare. They jack up the prices with the excuse that it's due to the use of fuel... really? neither buses nor trains raise or lower their fares based on when I buy the ticket. Not all bus companies charge you for more/heavier baggage, Airlines charge you for having one extra luggage. All the security measures since 9/11 are bullshit. Last two times I flew into the U.S as CITIZEN it took me LONGER than when I was a resident. There is NO reason to be there 2 or 3 hours early. Check in and security has always taken me no more than 20 minutes. Changing flights however, I HAVE missed flights even with a 2 hour layover. HATE... HATE flying.

I saw Blind Guardian live some 6-7 years ago and it was an awful experience. But it didn't had to do anything with the band.

I had tickets to see them back in '06 on A Twist in the Myth Tour. But, few week before the concert, I've gotten a call to board a ship so I had to pass on that opportunity. (That was also the reason why I missed Maiden in winter '06 when they played whole AMOLAD)
Next opportunity was when At The Edge of Time came out. Also bought the tickets, but then later I got a scholarship to study abroad, so again - had to sell them.
Third time's the charm and believe it or not, they came to my home city! I was planning to see them all this time and now they were one 10 minute bus ride away. Ah, but then the life kicked it.

During high school and college I always wondered how can somebody come to gigs (especially rock/heavy metal) and just be static. How does he/she stand immune to the energy. Well, I found out that night. After finishing a 14-15 hour shift of hard labor that morning that started around 5 AM I only came home to eat something and then straight to the gig. Maybe the beer knocked me, maybe the sun (it was mid June) but the whole gig I was standing there and wishing I wasn't. It's not that I was sleepy, hungover or disinterested in a band. I was just that tired. I was watching my friends jump and sing on Bard's Song and Barbara Ann and thinking the whole time: "Is this what the life is going to be now?"
Luckily, it wasn't. I went to a dozen gigs after that and I never felt like that again. But that didn't help me to completely unhooking from BG train. I tried several times to listen Beyond the Red Mirror but to no help. They just don't interest me at all anymore.

I hope things change with this orchestral album. It's the Chinese Democracy of power metal, it better live up to some hype.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck with Blind Guardian shows @Spambot. I had to wait ten years until I finally got a chance to see Blind Guardian as they only tended to play in two UK locations - London or Bloodstock Festival - and it was never convenient for me to see them. Scotland was never on Blind Guardian's radar, despite the bagpipes in 'Somewhere Far Beyond'. It wasn't until I moved to a town close to London that I finally got the chance to see them and it was fucking incredible when the show finally came around. I had goosebumps when the intro to 'The Ninth Wave' started. A few months later they announced a another show in the same venue for the following year - as part of a full UK tour! They didn't play in Scotland until after I left. How frustrating is that? ::)

'Beyond the Red Mirror' is an OK album. The best songs are probably the first and last songs 'The Ninth Wave' and 'Grand Parade'. The recent stuff is a lot better live though, so if you check out 'Live Beyond the Spheres' you might appreciate the songs more. :)

I saw BG live in 2006 on the A Twist in the Myth tour. It was a great show, but I don't know how they have evolved live in the last 13 years, considering the way their studio output has developed.

I saw BG live in 2006 on the A Twist in the Myth tour. It was a great show, but I don't know how they have evolved live in the last 13 years, considering the way their studio output has developed.
I didn't see them in 2006, but I've watched the 'Live Beyond the Spheres' DVD (filmed in 2003) many times. In 2015, 2016 and 2017 the chorus to 'Valhalla' still went on for ever and ever, 'The Bard's Song (In The Forest)' is still a massive singalong and they still play 'Mirror, Mirror'. If you are interested in what they're like live now then listen to 'Live Beyond the Spheres'.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck with Blind Guardian shows @Spambot. I had to wait ten years until I finally got a chance to see Blind Guardian as they only tended to play in two UK locations - London or Bloodstock Festival - and it was never convenient for me to see them. Scotland was never on Blind Guardian's radar, despite the bagpipes in 'Somewhere Far Beyond'. It wasn't until I moved to a town close to London that I finally got the chance to see them and it was fucking incredible when the show finally came around. I had goosebumps when the intro to 'The Ninth Wave' started. A few months later they announced a another show in the same venue for the following year - as part of a full UK tour! They didn't play in Scotland until after I left. How frustrating is that? ::)

'Beyond the Red Mirror' is an OK album. The best songs are probably the first and last songs 'The Ninth Wave' and 'Grand Parade'. The recent stuff is a lot better live though, so if you check out 'Live Beyond the Spheres' you might appreciate the songs more. :)

Yep, had a similar situation, and that indeed is frustrating. What I also noticed a lot of people gets frustrated in UK is those "only UK show" deal you get with Download, Bloodstock and some other festivals. I know that pissed a lot of people of on official Maiden forum.

I'm gonna give "Live Beyond the Spheres a spin. As far as I can see, there are only 3 songs from Beyond the Red Mirror played live. Something on the album that I might miss from Live?

blindguardianlegacycd.jpg

Artwork for the orchestral album. It looks dark and menacing. Hopefully the album will be spectacular. I'm looking forward to it.

Gwan recommend me an album or 2 there, Wizard. I watched a live show one night while drunk and quite enjoyed it but upon listening to an album sober I was uninterested. Can't remember which album I listened to.

@Niall Kielt my favourite Blind Guardian album is 'Nightfall in Middle Earth' which is based on Tolkien's The Silmarillion. It's packed full of Blind Guardian classics such as 'Nightfall', 'Mirror, Mirror' and my favourite Blind Guardian song 'Time Stands Still (At the Iron Hill)'.

The preceding album 'Imaginations From The Other Side' is also a juggernaut and perhaps more accessible so might be a better place to start. It is more concise than 'Nightfall...' as it doesn't have any of the interludes required to link the story together.

It's up to you really, buddy.

@Niall Kielt my favourite Blind Guardian album is 'Nightfall in Middle Earth' which is based on Tolkien's The Silmarillion. It's packed full of Blind Guardian classics such as 'Nightfall', 'Mirror, Mirror' and my favourite Blind Guardian song 'Time Stands Still (At the Iron Hill)'.

The preceding album 'Imaginations From The Other Side' is also a juggernaut and perhaps more accessible so might be a better place to start. It is more concise than 'Nightfall...' as it doesn't have any of the interludes required to link the story together.

It's up to you really, buddy.
Funny, mine were Somewhere Far Beyond and the first two, and Imaginations is where I lost interest.

Judging by this, you both have different appreciations of these guys so I will take a little from Column A and a little from Column B and see if I like any of it. And then we shall have the answer to the question that has been plaguing us all, the question of whats better, a Wizard or a Magnus?

Funny, mine were Somewhere Far Beyond and the first two, and Imaginations is where I lost interest.

They're very different bands. BG of Batallions of Fear and Follow the Blind was very different from IFTS, but they still kicked ass. I lost interest after Night at the Opera, though the Wheel of Time and the... shit, Red Door? Red something, were pretty good.

Back