Bruce Dickinson

He has been putting a lot of money into Cardiff Aviation, not making money from it (yet). I like how you misspelt the name of the company: the problems of Cardiff Aviation might give him a heart attack ;)

Regarding the speeches, they are indeed a source of income that are probably partially funding Cardiff Aviation and the profits from the beer are shared by the band members (although Bruce gets a higher percentage as it was his idea, same as Steve gets more money from the headphones than the rest). Anyway, there is nothing wrong with making money, right? :confused:

That being said, I wished he would spend more time on his solo stuff when Maiden are not active.

Is that a personal assumption or do you know it for sure? I'm interested in it.

Making money for it I said. Trying to put money into it indeed. Nothing wrong about that but it takes too much time from his musical creative spirit/output imo.

Sorry, I did not read that right (I was checking your post on my phone). I agree with you the whole process of trying to make the company a success is probably too time-consuming for him.

Is that a personal assumption or do you know it for sure? I'm interested in it.

It came from an interview with Bruce with some German newspaper 5 or 6 years ago. If I remember correctly, he was asked about the money being made by all the merchandising and Maiden-related products (beer, headphones, etc.) and his reply was that things are split evenly, but that if someone had the original idea or helped developed it (like Bruce with the beer or Steve with the headphones), they get a higher percentage than the others (25% if I remember correctly).

I guess Bruce is making more money with the beer than Steve with the headphones.
Sorry, I did not read that right (I was checking your post on my phone). I agree with you the whole process of trying to make the company a success is probably too time-consuming for him.
I cannot exactly understand where are his priorities right know. I just hope he doesn't consume himself.

It came from an interview with Bruce with some German newspaper 5 or 6 years ago. If I remember correctly, he was asked about the money being made by all the merchandising and Maiden-related products (beer, headphones, etc.) and his reply was that things are split evenly, but that if someone had the original idea or helped developed it (like Bruce with the beer or Steve with the headphones), they get a higher percentage than the others (25% if I remember correctly).

Was Trooper definitely Bruce's idea?

In his book he says they (I can't remember who "they" were, the brewery? Rod?, it's in the book either way) needed someone from the band to push it, and that him and Nicko were the ale drinkers in the band so it would have to be one of them to do it.

Was Trooper definitely Bruce's idea?

In his book he says they (I can't remember who "they" were, the brewery? Rod?, it's in the book either way) needed someone from the band to push it, and that him and Nicko were the ale drinkers in the band so it would have to be one of them to do it.

Probably my use of the word "idea" did not convey the information of being "responsible for". Even though the idea of brewing a Maiden ale might not have been his (we have heard different stories), he certainly is the Maiden member that has developed the different beers in close collaboration with Robinson's brewery.

Last edited:
I guess Bruce is making more money with the beer than Steve with the headphones.

Quite possibly, as Ed' Phones seem to have been a flop. Anyway, all band members benefit from the success of Trooper.

I cannot exactly understand where are his priorities right know.

If the latest Maiden tour is anything to go by, I would say his priority is to deliver the best possible Maiden show (one could argue their best live show ever).

I just hope he doesn't consume himself.

I think he knows how to pace himself. ;)

His zest for life is contagious and nice to see: I do hope he does not suffer any setbacks with his cancer in remission, but that is something he cannot control.

Last edited:
I get your point, and you are probably right. I understand the appetite for life. But all this looks quite frantic. I mean, the guy is litteraly touring the world to promote a book. I assume he doesn't neeed that to sell a few more copies, it is just the pleasure to speak to an audience. But will he tour to promote his record? Maybe I'm wrong, buyt I doubt it. You will say that a music show is more demanding than his conferences/talk shows. Right. But I wonder if he doesn't take as much pleasure in the talking than in the singing, which is quite puzzling to me. To me, monomaniac Harry is way easier to decipher, and, in some way, more rewarding to his fans.

I doubt Bruce would do any touring for his solo album (same as for Tyranny of Souls). He does not have a band and putting one together and getting it to sound like a well-oiled machine takes time, much more than doing a one-man promo tour.

He could always do a short festival tour like in 2002, but that would clash with Maiden's touring and we know that is his priority when it comes to music nowadays.

The practical excuses don't work for me. Not anymore. In my eyes, the man is still a musician with fire in the eyes when singing his songs.
Sad if that does not happen anymore (outside Maiden) because it is in the way of his non musical activities.

On Bruce doing some solo concerts
but that would clash with Maiden's touring and we know that is his priority when it comes to music nowadays.
Who says that would always, definitely, absolutely clash with Maiden? Only when people do not care about Bruce's own live performances. And/or when people plan crappy.

Maiden does not tour the whole year. Far from it.

On Bruce doing some solo concerts

Who says that would always, definitely, absolutely clash with Maiden? Only when people do not care about Bruce's own live performances. And/or when people plan crappy.

Maiden does not tour the whole year. Far from it.

If you read my post again you would see that I mentioned a festivals tour like the one Bruce did in 2002. These festivals take place in the time of the year when Maiden usually tour and it has been a while since Maiden have had a summer off...

Ok. But then Bruce could do a short tour outside that season.

Of course, but playing festivals maximises impact, as your music gets to a greater number of people.

As much as I would love to see him touring as a solo artist, I fear the closest we would get to that would be with solo guest appearances. Thankfully I have been able to see several of those recently (at Canterbury cathedral with Ian Anderson, at the Buddy Rich memorial concert with Ian Paice, at the Sunflower Jam in 2012 or the Celebrating Jon Lord show in 2014). It is not the same as a solo gig, but I'll take what I can. Keep 'em coming Bruce!

If he can't do a proper solo tour, he should just do a single night or a short 1-2 week run and record a show for a blu-ray or digital download for everyone else who wants to see it.

Bruce talks briefly about his solo album here (1 hour, 7 minutes and 30 seconds into the video):

Bruce Dickinson said:
And the answer to the solo album [he refers to a possible question about a new solo album he mentioned at the start of the talk] is YES! I have got a solo album on the way. When? I have no clue. I've got to finish it, do it, do all the rest of it, but we are progressing very well

He also tells a rather amusing anecdote about meeting the Duke of Edinburgh with Andy Taylor at Buckingham Palace. :lol:

Back