Legacy of the Beast Tour 2018 - CONTAINS SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interviews with Steve and Bruce in Krakow:

https://audioboom.com/posts/6952278...lanet-rock-s-paul-anthony-backstage-in-poland

https://audioboom.com/posts/6952279...lanet-rock-s-paul-anthony-backstage-in-poland

They both talk about the set, how it came to be, the props, the costumes worn by Bruce. Some interesting bits:

- Steve mentions wanting to do another album (or a couple), all being well.
- Bruce praises the new sound guy, mentioning that Pooch is in a league way above anything they have ever had and that they now sound the way they should have sounded for years.
Not that nice about Doug Hall unless he means someone else or just the three guitar line-up. I am not that convinced even if Bruce says so. It is a "we have released our best album in years" comment.

Thanks for the interviews! Will check them soon.

Last edited:
Not that nice about Doug Hall unless he means someone else or just the three guitar line-up. I am not that convinced even if Bruce says so. It is a "we have released our best album in years" comment.

Nicko has made comments along the same lines regarding the sound guy too.

I think Bruce is just addressing the elephant in the room, something that has been an issue with Maiden for many years and got worse when Doug was replaced (remember people asking for refunds in Sweden in 2013?).

Although it is true that their live sound got worse when Doug was let go (his replacement was Martin Walker, Judas Priest's FOH), I had experienced some dreadful sound live courtesy of Doug Hall on a few occasions (1998, 1999, 2003... the fanboy in me always blamed the venue). Things had improved by 2011 (by then he had been doing their sound for 31 years). I still wonder why Doug was let go...

Last edited:
Nicko and Bruce sound loud enough to appreciate this sort of sound. But they do not hear well how we hear it. And: it is a different experience on stage isn't it?

They never stated a word about it.

What would you expect them to say? "We are one of the biggest bands in the world but our live sound is shit"? :lol: :lol:

Praise for Pooch's sound is coming from many people, from seasoned concert goers to people in the business. Justin McBrain also loved it!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkD2NFKF7bt/?taken-by=justinmcbrain

I cannot wait to check how much has the live sound improved at the London gigs. :D

Bottom line is Pooch is an absolute pro who has worked with many big names (https://soundbetter.com/profiles/432-kenneth-"pooch"-van-druten) and, as a fan of the band, has a deeper connection with the songs than most.

Nicko and Bruce sound loud enough to appreciate this sort of sound.

Both were really loud with Martin Walker... ;)

But they do not hear well how we hear it. And: it is a different experience on stage isn't it?

True, but if I am not mistaken, they (Bruce and Steve for sure) check how the show looks and the live sound mix after the first shows to fine-tune things.

On a related note, I wonder what REALLY caused Doug Hall's demise. From being their FOH guy from 1980 to 2011 and Steve's right hand engineering the British Lion album to being replaced, with his departure not being officially acknowledged. Did he fall out with Steve?

Last edited:
You have not responded to the guitars comment. ;)

Sorry, I missed that edit. Who knows? He did not say anything about the three guitars in the interview. :)

Anecdotal evidence: the worst sounding Maiden gig I have been to (in 1998) was with a 2 guitar line-up. It was really difficult to hear any of the guitars as Steve's bass was so loud in the mix that we were treated to a cacophony of feedback for half of the show. :(

On a related note, I wonder what REALLY caused Doug Hall's demise. From being their FOH guy from 1980 to 2011 and Steve's right hand engineering the British Lion album to being replaced, with his departure not being officially acknowledged. Did he fall out with Steve?
Retirement maybe? From the images of the Early Days documentary, he looked a bit like Paul Auster to me - both physically and the fact that he looks younger than his age (being somewhat as old as the Maiden guys, he must have been 55 or so in 2011, which is not so crazy an age to retire when you've spent your life with loud noise in your ears on a daily basis)

Retirement maybe? From the images of the Early Days documentary, he looked a bit like Paul Auster to me - both physically and the fact that he looks younger than his age (being somewhat as old as the Maiden guys, he must have been 55 or so in 2011, which is not so crazy an age to retire when you've spent your life with loud noise in your ears on a daily basis)

If he had indeed chosen voluntarily to retire I bet Rod et al would have mentioned something as they did when Dick Bell retired. I smell a rat.

Joking aside, I guess we will never know.

The sound on this tour is indeed the best I've ever heard them with live. Although TFF first leg also stuck out to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back