Flight of Icarus or Stranger in a Strange Land?

Flight of Icarus or Stranger in a Strange Land?

• Total voters
Flight of Icarus. Great heavy song with amazing vocals and guitar sounds. No synthesizers or crappy transistor amps.

Icarus all the way. SIASL never did anything for me, it's one of my least favourites from SIT. Icarus on the other hand has a great groove, an awesome chorus, and killer solos (better than SIASL!). And no Steve, the studio version is NOT performed too slow ;)

Both are great songs, but I will go with Flight of Icarus. I hope I can see Maiden play the song live at some point, as it was amazing when Bruce played it live in 1997, 1998, and 2002.

Tough call! But I think "Icarus" wins by a hair, for being a better song as a whole (even though H's solo in "Stranger" is the best in Maiden's history).

Icarus. But why the comparison?

Only a guess, but I think it has something to do with both of them being (the only) classic singles that have been omitted from the live set ever since the 80's (alright, Stranger had those 5 shows in 1999) and both have been pretty dominant in our setlist speculations/wishes, especially Icarus. So... I could guess this is sort of "which song you want Maiden to dust off" poll, kinda.

Just trying to make this more sensible, haha

Last edited:
Closer than my first instinct. But it's Icarus. Stranger is really good. Just lacks the power and Classic Maiden sound. But both rock hard and I'd welcome either to the next set...great point on the solo on stranger... definitely one of the sweetest ever.

Last edited:
Really hard. I first voted Stranger but I've changed my mind and gone with Icarus. The latter has always been a great song, the former I love but it rises and falls depending on my mood.

It all boils down to "Some of Bruce's best vocals" VS "A popular solo". Personally I prefer Powerslave and Alexander the Great in the solo category so I don't really care too much about that anyway.

Stranger for me, love the groove in that song.

While on the other hand while I do like Icarus, it isn’t one of my favourites by a long way, find it a bit bland to be honest. I am in the Harris camp with regards to tempo as I much prefer the Live after Death version, which for me rocks out a bit more.

Maiden did Stranger for the last time in 1999.
Bruce did Icarus for the last time in 1999 (Maiden in 1986).

Back