Religious beliefs of Iron Maiden fans

I buried my father yesterday.

For the first time in my life I feel uncomfortable with my belief that there is nothing beyond. I don't like the idea that it all ends in a box in the ground anymore.
My thoughts are with you, as everyone else has noted.

Death is hard.

I lost my dad about 10 years ago. Tough time. At least both your and my dads lived long enough to enjoy being grandfathers (hopefully)

Really sorry to hear that. My grandfather died this year so I know where you're coming from. Stay strong.

It's strangely comforting to see that you are willing to share something this difficult with us, Ariana. My thoughts are with anyone who has lost a parent. Hope you & the family are okay.

For the first time in my life I feel uncomfortable with my belief that there is nothing beyond. I don't like the idea that it all ends in a box in the ground anymore.

Very sorry for your loss.

I hope that this is of some comfort to you. When I was in college I wrote a dialogue between a priest and a bishop on plastic surgery, cloning, immortality and what makes us human. The bishop is testing the young priest in case any member of his congregation comes to him with certain controversial topics. On the subject of cloning the bishop brings him the case of a young couple who want to clone their son who passed away barely a few months old. The arguments of memories, identity, individuality don't really apply since the baby hadn't formed any of that yet. The young priest responds:

"The parents are still doing it for the wrong reasons as they are still getting a replacement for their dead son. While he may not have been able to form his own memories it was still a unique life and experience. Just as we have the right to live we also have the right to die, and oddly, to live forever, in the memory of the loved ones left behind."

Your father isn't just "in a box in the ground." He is in the pictures in your home, in your childhood and more recent memories and most importantly in your heart.

My condoleances, Ariana. I am feeling how sad that must be. However much it hurts, I hope you eventually will cope with his loss and think about the good times. You will carry him with you. My thoughts are with you and your family and Perun, who all will support you.

Evangelistic Christian. Regardless of what the band believes or not, I am always amazed at how often their song lyrics point me to Scripture. Up the Irons!

Hey there! I'm a huge Iron Maiden fan too! I think it's really interesting to see everyone's religious beliefs in a forum like this, as it goes to show how music can bring people together regardless of personal beliefs. To answer your question, I'd say I'm agnostic - I'm open to the idea of a divine being but not really committed to any specific concept of it. Just like you, I love talking and learning about other people's perspectives. As a side note, I remember visiting some interesting churches in Portland while on a trip last year. It's cool that you created this thread - love seeing the diversity among fellow fans!

Last edited:
The more I live the more agnostic I become. On the other hand, the most acceptable/believable idea to me is reincarnation.
That doesn't mean I am buddhist, I am catholic (baptized, etc.). So, just another unbeliever.

I’m not religious, but I gotta believe there’s more than just ‘going dark’ when you die. Maybe it’s reincarnation and the electric current or soul gets spun around in the earth’s magnetic field to who knows where lol

Back