Elimated
Four Chords
Hate Song

Promoted
Lightbulb Sun
She'smovedon
Russia On Ice

In Absentia
Following the success of Lightbulb Sun, Porcupine Tree experienced two major changes. The first is that they were signed to a major label: Atlantic. The second change was that their drummer, Chris Maitland, decided to leave the band. This turned out to be a blessing disguise as his replacement was Gavin Harrison, one of the best drummers in the business. With the addition of Harrison, Porcupine Tree’s final lineup was complete.

Unlike its predecessor, In Absentia took a fairly long time to make. By the time the band were ready to record, Steven Wilson had 30 songs to choose from dating back up to 2 years. A stark contrast to Lightbulb Sun which was an almost immediate response to Stupid Dream. The music on In Absentia is heavier, catchier, slightly more refined than on the previous album. The psychedelic and space rock influences are completely gone at this point. The songs here are more to the point and even the longer pieces have more of a structure to them. Steven Wilson’s love of Opeth is very clearly on display here with some of the heavy riffing and even some of the softer sections.

Lyrically, Steven Wilson has moved the focus away from the commentary on the music industry that dominated much of the previous two albums. Instead, the topics are appropriately darker for the heavier music. Many of the songs themes deal with serial killers.

In Absentia is very highly regarded by critics and fans alike. Many consider it to be the band’s greatest achievement. It’s actually the only album I was familiar with prior to this discussion and I think it’s very strong. It’s really interesting hearing how the band got to this point, it was actually a much more abrupt change than I expected. The heaviness was starting to creep into their music, but with In Absentia it’s like a brand new band.

In Absentia is essential Porcupine Tree. This can be considered the beginning of the final phase of the band, which is much heavier than all the previous eras. The music here is still quite catchy as well, and some of these songs are absolute classics.

Blackest Eyes and Trains are both surefire top 10 songs. The latter is one of those songs that I could just listen to on repeat without ever getting sick of it. Muzak is also an incredible tune.

Even the lesser tracks generally have some redeeming qualities to them. Mastertape is the only song that just doesn't do anything for me at all.

Voting for Lips, Eyelids, and Mastertape.

No problem, totally understandable!

In Absentia is awesome. Like I said, I'm very familiar with this album already having discovered it when I was just getting into Prog. The songwriting and production is just fantastic. I still maintain that SW is a gem as for as production goes and this album is a perfect example. Just listen to Blackest Eyes with the crystal clear sound in every instrument, the way everything blends, and the laser-like focus on detail. You can tell that so much thought was put into every second of every song.

I have to say I'm kinda disappointed in PT because nothing up to this point has lived up to In Absentia. I get that most consider it their finest album, but I was hoping for a band so revered the other albums would be at least close in quality. Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream are great but don't touch In Absentia. I'm hoping that the other albums in their heavy period come close. I do know that SW's solo material is very strong, but it's a different style too.

Trains is my favourite non-metallic song of all-time.
It is number one on my iTunes most-played and I have never tired of it.
The sound of the album is pristine.

This album is easily the best of the bunch we've heard yet. The shift towards a heavier sound is so welcome and some of these songs (good lord, the first 2!) are amazing. I am still not in love with the music, though. The fact that this is labeled as Steven Wilson's masterpiece by many fans has me a little concerned as there's still a bit too much soundscape love affair going on for my tastes.

Anywho, voting for:

Lips of Ashes
and the last three songs

Eliminated
Lips Of Ashes
Heart Attack
Strip the Soul
Collapse the Light

Back