Does Maiden care anymore?

No need to get sarcastic on me.
I'm starting to get really tired of complainers. I'm sorry if a little facetiousness rubs you the wrong way, but there's oodles of evidence that Maiden has put together complex track after complex track on each album - just like they used to - as well as quicker, simpler rockers - just like they used to.

This thread was opened for one reason only, and that's to troll.

This thread was opened for one reason only, and that's to troll.

Sure, Play Classics has trolled in the past. However, in this instance, I don't see any trolling what-so-ever. I see some very valid points. Maybe those points aren't worded perfectly, but why jump on that? He's created an opportunity for discussion on a topic that a lot of people feel strongly about.

Video game websites I visit, have topics about the song because of the video, and people say the song sounds like a demo. So do a lot of the youtube comments, and a lot of people here.

His questions are valid, he's clarified it's his opinion. Where is the trolling? Why be dismissive of someone who has trolled in the past but is making an effort now?

When you start a thread title "do they really care" it sure seems like trolling. The thread title itself is argumentative.

Sure, people are more than welcome to state their opinions-- but wouldn't a title like "Do you like the direction Maiden has gone" seems a less inciting?

Personally, I think its a ridiculous question to ask, because if they didn't care, why would they really make the album. As was stated, they each have plenty of other things they can be doing to earn money or keep themselves busy. They didn't make it to suck up our cash, they made an album because they wanted to. Sounds like caring to me.

I know, listen to the intro nickos drum fill at 14 seconds in after he hits the cowbell sounds so out of time not too mention the toms sound horrible.
Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that such a fill has no business being on a studio album.

Sure, Play Classics has trolled in the past. However, in this instance, I don't see any trolling what-so-ever. I see some very valid points. Maybe those points aren't worded perfectly, but why jump on that? He's created an opportunity for discussion on a topic that a lot of people feel strongly about.

Video game websites I visit, have topics about the song because of the video, and people say the song sounds like a demo. So do a lot of the youtube comments, and a lot of people here.

His questions are valid, he's clarified it's his opinion. Where is the trolling? Why be dismissive of someone who has trolled in the past but is making an effort now?
I do agree that PC seems like less of a troll lately, but a lot of things in this thread seem really far fetched. As if he's looking for something to complain about with new Maiden without giving it a chance. I understand not liking SoL or the artwork or the production or whatever, but I don't see a single reason why someone could honestly think that Maiden has stopped caring. The fact that they even bother to keep making albums now (let alone double albums) when they could've easily made BNW their last studio album and done nostalgia tours for the rest of their career shows that there's no question about whether or not they care.

It's that and the assumption getting tossed around that people only like the new stuff because it's Maiden and the fans will eat anything up that I have trouble taking seriously.

I think people like me who was born in 1990, I like 80's, some 90's and consider BNW to be a masterpiece. I know maiden have to do new stuff but they sholud still make it sound like the maiden people like me and PC love where as SOL sounds nothing like what I hoped maiden would sound like.

I think people like me who was born in 1990, I like 80's, some 90's and consider BNW to be a masterpiece. I know maiden have to do new stuff but they sholud still make it sound like the maiden people like me and PC love where as SOL sounds nothing like what I hoped maiden would sound like.

They don't make songs and Albums for you. they make music they want to make (which a huge group of fans new & old genuine love btw) , bands change get over it. if you don't like it go and listen to another band

I saw this thread one minute after PC opened it. As a mod, I let it stay open because PC did have points worthy of discussion.

For instance: I have no doubt that right now, Bruce is 100% committed to Maiden. But when this album/tour cycle is over and he returns, at least for a while, to full-time aviation, how long will that delay the next Maiden album?

I mean this in the best of ways for Bruce. If he is fortunate enough to build an aviation empire, is there a point where it makes more sense to give his time to that over Maiden?

This doesn't mean Bruce doesn't care. But we can acknowledge that Maiden isn't the only thing in these guys' lives.

Finally, whatever you think of PC, please keep things civil.
if you don't like it go and listen to another band
That's pushing the edge. We're all Maiden fans here, no need to be rude.

Not singling out Severian btw - we all do it. We post some rude stuff in the heat of the moment. I've had my own notorious moments. Let's just try to avoid them if we can.

I know maiden have to do new stuff but they sholud still make it sound like the maiden people like me and PC love where as SOL sounds nothing like what I hoped maiden would sound like.

No they shouldn't. They should do whatever the hell they want because they're artists. You're asking them to sell out.

Honestly, I've only listened to Speed of Light about two or three times since it's release. And that's not because I want to save it for the album release, it's because the mistakes and the production makes it too annoying to listen to. It really does sound unfinished.

I get what they're aiming for. I have no problem with them wanting to have a "live" sound to their studio album, but they should at bother to weed out all the mistakes. I hope they've taken another approach to the more complex songs on TBOS, if not it could be a potentially great album ruined by amateurish mistakes and shoddy production, much like their last three albums.

I think questioning their commitment to music is crazy. I am sure the band 100% believes that their approach to recording is the right approach.

I commented on this thread not because i agree with the thread title but because i believe the amount of effort they are making to sound "fresh" "energetic" "live" is costing them interms of better song writing and polished recording. Last 5 years if they had spent a year on one song we would have had 5 masterpieces in the album guaranteed. Imagine Adrian working six months on his solos on the album instead of going into the studio as a blank slate.

The idea of making noise as a fan is the hope that somehow they hear us and think about it for a second before their next album. If this becomes indeed their last then my heart would be crushed if it turns out like TFF.

Some people make it sound like this album (which they haven't heard) consists of the first ideas that came to the band's minds. They were in Paris for at least a month. That doesn't seem like a quick bang-it-out to me.
How long did it take to record their early albums?

Also, I'm not sure more time equals better album, or even more polished.
Rush worked on Vapour Trails forever and it turned out sounding like mud.
Def Leppard lost any vestige of metal credibility polishing Hysteria to a sheen.

Some people make it sound like this album (which they haven't heard) consists of the first ideas that came to the band's minds. They were in Paris for at least a month. That doesn't seem like a quick bang-it-out to me.
How long did it take to record their early albums?

Also, I'm not sure more time equals better album, or even more polished.
Rush worked on Vapour Trails forever and it turned out sounding like mud.
Def Leppard lost any vestige of metal credibility polishing Hysteria to a sheen.
That is a good point. How much of a departure is it from their early years of recording or even BNW and DoD? How long did they work on Paschendale or Ghost of the Navigator? Did they rehearse the songs, polish the recording? If things were always the same way as TFF and this album then I have no case.

The thing I will give you, is the "going for the live sound", (not counting the horrible, almost untampered tom sound) in the regard that the drum playing mistakes in the song is distracting. This is definitely intentional, as I hear zero auto tuning on the vocals as well (audible in spots throughout AMOLAD and TFF). They are looking for natural, not perfect, but I'd prefer the tom fills not to sound sloppy. I'm all for neglecting tuning though. I hate auto tuning with a passion.

I like the new song in itself. Very cool guitar melodies, main riff and attitude.
I never heard the autotuning on TFF also not after you pointed out the exact moment. But I wonder if that high STARS is autotuned. Funny.

I know, listen to the intro nickos drum fill at 14 seconds in after he hits the cowbell sounds so out of time not too mention the toms sound horrible.
I don't think it sounds out of time. 1 hit on a different element of the kit. Come on. This is not in the mistake category, really.

I dig the song in itself though and the boys obviously care. But the tom fills sloppiness and the tom sound is getting more and more on my nerves than the first couple listens.
This is no sloppiness. If Nicko would end a break bad, causing him to depart wrongly (timing) in the next segment, that would be a mistake. Nothing of that here. These are basic breaks. Perhaps too basic, but at least there are breaks. ;). What I do dig about his playing are these cool accents on the ride cymbal. I'll go a bit further even:

The drum playing are one of the best aspects of this song. They make the song.

Back