Tournament of INSTRUMENTALS (Phase 2): Battle Group VIII

Vote for your FAVOURITE instrumental track: 1 vote per battle

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fluff, boring. Dance, exciting.
Buckethead, boring. Ides, exciting.
:p

3733631-tumblr_inline_mvdxsasozy1rp7f7b.gif

No hands down victory for this Maiden instrumental. I am already looking forward to what will happen in the next round.

Last edited:
To be honest, Ides is just a waste of time, especially in context. Wrathchild would have worked fine as the opener to Killers.

Ides of March is an excellent album opener and a great segue into Wrathchild.
I'm just not sure it should be considered a standalone song.

When a 2 minute long song drags and overstays its welcome, there's some issues at hand.

It's by far the worst Di'Anno era song, and probably the only one that is actually bad.

Hmm, how does The Ides of March exactly drag for you? And what do you find (for the rest?) bad about it?

Last edited:
Hmm, how does The Ides of March exactly drag for you? And what do you find (for the rest?) bad about it?

The biggest issue I have with it is that it has no reason to exist. Wrathchild would have served as a great opener to Killers. Instead, Ides just wastes time on the album right at the very start.

You could make the argument about it being a Hellion/Electric Eye deal before it existed, but Ides was never paired with Wrathchild in the same way even back then and Ides is far longer as an intro piece. My interest dulls pretty early on in the song, and it's just an unimpressive instrumental at that point.

I am not sure if you know this, but listen to this intro from Samson's album Head On (1980):

Steve got a co-credit for it. So, Ides of March certainly has a history before it landed on Killers.

Back