Porcupine Tree

Shadow

Deluxe Edition
Staff member
This is a band I hardly ever see mentioned here, which is a bit surprising as they might appeal to some of you. I'm really into them at the moment myself.

If you don't know them, they're a British prog rock band, fusing rock, psychedelia, metal and electronica into a rather unique (and very varied) style. They started out in the last eighties as a joke band, pretending to be a reunited band from the seventies, complete with fake album titles and former band members. However, their music was noticed by a magazine and they released their first album on said magazine's newly started record label. They're something of a perfect match for me, as their influences include much of the same music I like.

Their early albums are more psychedelic and electronica-oriented than the later ones, featuring extended instrumental sections and sounding a lot like Pink Floyd and Tangerine Dream at times. Later on, they changed their style towards a heavier, more straight-forward style (although their latest album is something of a return to their progressive roots).

So basically, I was wondering if anyone here knows or likes them. 

I've heard some of their stuff, didn't really know their history (thanks for that), but I agree that they are an interesting band. I'll give them a second look now.

I'm actually trying out some Porcupine Tree as I type (Stupid Dream). I was intrigued which is why I got it from emusic, but I had not played it - until now.

Shadow said:
So basically, I was wondering if anyone here knows or likes them. 

I remember around the time that NPftD was released (or it was FotD?) I saw a record of them in a store
and I was very close to give it a try -didn't buy it finally...

Much later, during 00s I've heard that it's a really great band -but I don't think I've ever listened something of them

Now I think I'll give them a try. With which album should I start ?

Isnt there some connection with Tool? Either someone plays for both bands, or they sound pretty similar,I'm not sure which.

If it is a connection, it would only be in sound - I can't find a connection between them and Tool, band member-wise that is.

free man said:
Now I think I'll give them a try. With which album should I start ?

If you're interested in the earlier stuff, the compilation Stars Die: The Delerium Years provides a nice overview of their first four albums. If you want the later, heavier sound, go for In Absentia.

Mosh and other who are interested in Steven Wilson: do you know this Dutch TV session from 1997?
Steven Wilson joins Jansen Barbieri Karn

And here at some other venue they're doing Sleepers Awake:

That bass player Karn rules (apparently he died last year).

I recently listened to Deadwing and enjoyed it quite a bit, working my way through the rest of the catalog

In Absentia is a great album. I bought it in the spring.
Once I absorbed that I picked up Deadwing, which is nearly as good.
Think I'll try Blank Planet in the new year.

oh. Maybe it's time I explain, I really don't like Porcupine Tree or Steven Wilson at all. The avatar is pretty much just an inside joke. Sorry for any confusion :)

That said, In Absentia has some pretty great songs but it's also got a lot of dull parts and is just really long as a whole. I only listen to it on occasion.

oh. Maybe it's time I explain, I really don't like Porcupine Tree or Steven Wilson at all. The avatar is pretty much just an inside joke. Sorry for any confusion :)

That said, In Absentia has some pretty great songs but it's also got a lot of dull parts and is just really long as a whole. I only listen to it on occasion.
Yeah, right.
And I don't spend my nights howling at the moon, and that isn't Wasted's girlfriend on his bike.

Alright you got me :(

I love Steven Wilson! He makes the greatest music known to man and one day I'm going to marry him!
:p

Back