The Number of the Beast

How good is The Number of the Beast on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: The Number of the Beast

The first Maiden song I ever heard, and still one of my favourites. This one just never gets old. Back then it opened up an entirely new world for me. I even still dream of it occasionally, just had it appear in one of my dreams a few days ago. 10/10.

This song was one of the first I've heard from Maiden as well. The intro is awesome, Bruce's scream will forever be recorded in the world of metal and the riff is good. Not to mention the solos which are 2 of the finest moments of both Dave and Adrian.

This one is a classic and 9/10, not 10/10 because 10 is just for the best Maiden songs.

You’d think I’d get tired of this song, but I like it now more than I ever did. The ominous spoken intro, the cold-sweat verge-of-hysteria opening section, the explosive transition, the frantic verses, the percussive chorus, two killer solos divided by an awesome downshift, and the decisive declaration of the finale — how could you improve on it? The perfect Maiden rocker and the second 10 of the album.

I think this song has cool lyrics, a couple of top solos and a great performance from Bruce but it just isn't a song I enjoy enough for it to be anything above a mid-Maiden song. However I do appreciate it for several reasons (title track off of NotB, great live, etc) so I'll give it a 7.

Another classic that I'd highly recommend to Maiden starters. You can't dislike this one.

10/10.

Possibly the second Maiden song I've ever heard, still iconic, still awesome.

9/10

9/10. How can anyone give this less than 8? Overplayed? There is a damn good reason why a song like this gets "overplayed" - it is seriously one of Maiden's best!

I know... I know!  There are so many '10's' out there, is this really one?  Yes.  This song is too classic; yes, I also know that voting just because its a classic doesn't make it a 10.  However, its got it all: slow, fast, soft, loud, hard, heavy... this is Iron Maiden.  Out of all the songs, I wish I had heard this one for the first time when it was new, and no one really knew what Bruce could do.  Other songs have to rest on their merit, their strengths and weaknesses, lyrics, music-- this one gets a free point for being iconic.

Gotta love how Harris packed so much into just 4+ minutes. It's an epic, without the epic length.

I'll give it a 9, it's a very good song, love the solos and the bit on the bass just after the solos, before Bruce starts singing again.

I'll give this one a 9. It's a true classic, but I reserve my next 10 for a certain other song on this album ...

Davey's solo in this song still excites me, even moreso now that he often holds a single note for half his solo when they play this track live. I play guitar because of this song.

The intro alone is worthy of a nine.

A metal classic.

666 - The Number Of The Beast. Well, this is the song that makes every laymen about Heavy Metal keep their kids away from it even to this day. This song is beyond description as it's quite simple musically, but the power this song bears is something to be witnessed. It changed the history of Metal and the life of millions. 10!!!

Live, in concert, always a great treat, an excellent sing along song (also the intro!). This song is very powerful, has some in-the-face riffing. However, I don't think the singing is the most interesting Bruce has ever done, it's quite monotone compared to most of his other performances.

9.  Great in concert with the crowd chanting the chorus at the same time.  Great riffs and a quintessential Maiden song.

I give this an 8, definately a classic fast and frantic Maiden tune with some amazing riffs and a great solo section. It is one of those songs that has become sadly Cliche'd, but sometimes just because something is Cliche'd doesn't mean it isn't good.

The spoken intro is cool, as is the intro riff along with 2 very good solos, but I just can't get myself to rate this song very high. I am that sick and tired of it, I'll usually skip it when it comes on. Alot of my friends that listen to Maiden (if only a few of their songs) are like, "How awesome is the Number of the Beast (and The Trooper and Run to the Hills)", and I'm like "Check out all of these other more awesome Maiden songs" and they never do. Still it is a good song overall so 7/10.

Charismatic intro, powerful song, Bruce's performance is outstanding. Hear his scream man.

9/10

Back