The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 3, Matches 13-18

What is your favourite song in each match? Vote in all six matchups!

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
On the contrary, the first 7 or so Aerosmith albums are pretty much untouchable.
Yeah, when I binged Aerosmith during the pandemic, I was surprised at how much I liked their earliest stuff. I was only really familiar with Pump and forward before, but their first decade of work is really solid.

I don't care much for neither Ozzy's solo career nor Queensrÿche, but I enjoy both songs in the first round. I think the music is equally great on both, so it comes down to the vocals - Tate isn't nearly as annoying as usual on "Deliverance", while Ozzy sounds a bit mechanical on "You Can't Kill Rock and Roll", so on that note I'm voting for Queensrÿche.

On the other hand, I'm not impressed with "Silent Lucidity". I find it average at best, so I don't really get why it's considered one of the band's best songs, aside from sounding very commercial. "In Trance" is much more up my alley, so it's an easy vote for Scorpions.

"The Years of Decay" comes across as a song that thinks it's bigger and more epic than it actually it, but it just never really gets itself going. "Low" is not the best Testament song in this game by a long shot, but Chuck Billy still sounds awesome. Testament.

I don't rate The Dark Saga has highly as most of Iced Earth's fanbase seem to do - compared to Night of the Stormrider and Burnt Offerings, which are two of my favourite albums of all time, the songs generally feel too "simplified" and uinteresting, despite the band (and Barlow) sounding really good. That being said, "A Question of Heaven" is awesome, and "The Headless Children" simply can't compare. I'll never be a fan of Blackie Lawless' voice, even if the music is decent. Iced Earth.

I was never that big on Aerosmith. "Toys in the Attic" is fine, I guess, but I don't feel the urge to listen on afterwards. I would never have expected a Meat Loaf song to turn up here, but "Life is a Lemon and I Want My Money Back" is a cool and pleasant surprise - bombastic and a very fun listen. Easy but surprising vote for Meat Loaf.

"The Great Misconceptions of Me" suffers from the same problem that "The Years of Decay" do - it thinks it's a better song than it really is, only this time it's way overblown and over the top. And Blackie's vocals are still quite bad. When "Satan's Fall" started, I was fully prepared to vote for it, especially since King Diamond actually sounded tolerable for a while. Then he began wailing... and then I saw that the song was over 11 minutes long. Sorry, I'm not wasting my time on this. W.A.S.P. gets my vote, but only reluctantly - consider this more a vote against Mercyful Fate than anything else.

"You Can't Kill Rock and Roll" is not one of Ozzy's best songs. It's not bad, it's just overlong and plods a bit. Tate is all over the place on "Deliverance", but I like the music a lot more here. (Although it feels like the band re-wrote this one on the next album as "Walk in the Shadows", which is way better.) Voting for the 'Rÿche, but it's not a song I feel deserves to be here. I am looking forward to hear about why @Mosh nominated it, though.

Speaking of songs that should've be here, "Silent Lucidity" isn't metal. That said, I think it's a great song. It's sillier than the band thinks it is and has pretty obvious nods to Pink Floyd's "Mother", but I love the sci-fi feel and the tranquility, and it was always awesome to hear when I used to listen to classic rock radio in my youth. It's kind of the band's "Nothing Else Matters", a surprisingly great mostly-acoustic song by a metal band. "In Trance" is good too, but I think the verses are way better than the chorus, whereas "Lucidity" is awesome from beginning to end. Have to give this to the Queens' again.

"The Years of Decay" is a bit overlong, but I like Bobby's lower vocals and I think the ending is really good. "Low" is shorter though and more fun, and Chuck Billy is a more interesting vocalist overall, so Testament are eking out a vote here.

"The Headless Children" was pretty good, with that lengthy build-up with Kiss's "God of Thunder" stomp. Ended kinda fast, though. Gotta go with Iced Earth, however; "A Question of Heaven" works better within the context of the album but regardless Barlow's high note at the end is enough to cinch it.

Ærosmiþ are fine, but they can't Beat Loaf. I was debating whether to nominate "Bat Out of Hell" or "Life Is a Lemon and I Want My Money Back" as one of my metal-adjacent picks, and I ultimately went with the latter for two reasons: 1) It's closer to metal than "Bat" is, and 2) I wanted people to try something different from the usual Meat Loaf staples. The drum intro is so massive, the choruses are great, Mr. Aday's voice is in fine form, and Steinman's lyrics are straight-forward and to-the-point with just enough of his usual flair. This record really feels like the kid in the original Bat has grown up, but not lost his innocence fully to the world. There's still some of that wildness in there. And the way the song describes how much life sucks in automobile terminology is so good. It's a silly song, but it's played super seriously, just like most Steinman tracks. And it even has an extended instrumental outro where the guitars really sing. I love this song. "I'd Do Anything for Love" may have been the radio hit, but don't let it overshadow the rest of Bat Out of Hell II, 'cuz this album is fucking FIRE.

"The Great Misconceptions of Me" isn't perfect, but it's a great closer to The Crimson Idol. I always thought that hanging yourself with your guitar strings is such a visceral death, too. Meanwhile, it's the return of our favorite Christian metal band, Mercyful Fate! As their name suggests, their music is all about embracing the mercy your fate will be full of if you accept Jesus Christ as your lord and savior. And they're taking a powerful stand with this 11-minute epic called "Satan's Fall". They're saying, hell yeah, Jesus, fuck that Satan guy! Inspirational. I'm gonna play this song for the kid's in my Sunday school! ...Anyway, I've never thought of this song as such-a-much because it's more a collection of parts and pieces rather than a proper song. I'm feeling it a lot more today, though, there are some great moments in here. And since everyone is slagging King Diamond anyway, I may as well support the Christian cause and give a dollar to Mercyful Fate in the offering plate. Amen.

Round 1: Opeth

Round 2: IN TRANCE.
The title track of my favourite Scorpions album?! Absolutely! Such a brilliant album, and as a track a gateway into the 70s work.

Round 3: Overkill

Round 4: WASP.

Round 5: Meat Loaf

Round 6: WASP.

You know those memes where it’s like “Society if so and so happens” and it’s all these futuristic buildings and flying cars and stuff, someone needs to make one where it’s “Society if every MaidenFans member voted in every matchup”. I’m seeing discrepancies every round!!

Ozzy Osbourne - You Can't Kill Rock and Roll vs Queensrÿche - Deliverance
A tough choice in that I like both acts and both songs, Deliverance is better though Deliverance

Queensrÿche - Silent Lucidity vs Scorpions - In Trance

Silent Lucidity is a classic and I'm really tempted to vote against my own nomination, but the Uli Roth era needs some attention brought to it I feel In Trance

Overkill - The Years of Decay vs Testament - Low

I only have Under the Influence so I never heard this track before. It's alright but I agree with @Confeos it doesn't really get going. I don't have Low either and I think they do that groovy thrash well Low

WASP - The Headless Children vs Iced Earth - A Question of Heaven

The Headless Children is a classic, especially the hammond played by Uriah Heep's Ken Hensley. A Question of Heaven was just second rate also ran metal delivered in a pompous manner The Headless Children

Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic vs Meat Loaf - Life is a Lemon and I Want My Money Back

I have this album and Rocks and need to get more, love bands that sound like they are actuely interacting with each other on record. Meat Loaf's video wouldn't play so I listened to a live version and it was a surprise, cool riff, nice change about verse where they were going on about what about this that and the other, I would have voted for it if it was up against a track I wasn't already a fan of Toys in the Attic

WASP - The Great Misconceptions of Me vs Mercyful Fate - Satan's Fall

These are two absolute classics. The Great Misconceptions of Me is the culmination of the album featuring most of the musical motifs reprised and the final on stage suicide of the protagonist. Brilliant. Satan's Fall has more riffs than you can shake a stick at, and a nice arrangement where there's not a lot of repetition. The Great Misconceptions of Me

There's a riff at the end of The Years of Decay, the last riff section at the very end, that's a total rip off of some other riff (or maybe the other riff rips of this riff?)

I can't put my finger on it, but I feel it's a much more famous riff just played a bit slower. Anyone any ideas? Will be driving me mad.

RNG I guess decided this would be the power ballad round, eh? I prefer Queensrÿche in the first matchup, for sure, but Scorpions in the second. I didn't even know Overkill was allowed to have power ballads by law, but I suppose so. I like The Headless Children but A Question of Heaven is a top tier Iced Earth track and has Matt Barlow's best-ever vocal performance upon it. I'm pro Aerosmith for the rock matchup, mostly because some of those Meat Loaf lyrics are naff as fuck. I'll go WASP for the last matchup, but I quite like Satan's Fall, possibly my favourite track from that album.

Ozzy - wasn't really impressed by Deliverance.

Silent Lucidity

The Years of Decay
- I think I just don't like Testament's style that much.

Iced Earth mostly because I won't forgive The Headless Children for eliminating my favourite album from the GMAC.

Meat Loaf

I'll go WASP for the last matchup, but I quite like Satan's Fall, possibly my favourite track from that album. And it's getting slaughtered so it can have two misclicked votes.

Ozzy - wasn't really impressed by Deliverance.

Silent Lucidity

The Years of Decay
- I think I just don't like Testament's style that much.

Iced Earth mostly because I won't forgive The Headless Children for eliminating my favourite album from the GMAC.

Meat Loaf
looks like I fucked it indeed! :D

Well, I don't think you can kill rock and roll, but Queensrÿche delivered us from Ozzy's attempt in a big victory. Meanwhile, Scorpions trance was just enough to squeak past the quiet dreams of the winner of the first matchup. Testament's attempt came in too low as Overkill manages to outlast them, despite their decay. There's no question which band gets closer to heaven in the next matchup, as Iced Earth wins handily. Meat Loaf's life was a lemon (especially at the end) and Aerosmith's toys move on. Satan has indeed fallen as WASP moves up to the group stage.

Part I, Round 21, Matches 121-126

Play In Round
Match 121
Edward the Great Division​
Slayer - Post Mortem
vs.
Sepultura - Dead Embryonic Cells​
Popoff 500
Nominators
Popoff 500​
Youtube | Spotify | Amazon
Links

Play In Round
Match 122
Tony Parsons Division​
Judas Priest - Battle Cry
vs.
Grand Magus - On Hooves of Gold​
@DJ James
Nominators
Links

Play In Round
Match 123
Tony Parsons Division​
Rhapsody of Fire - Gargoyles, Angels of Darkness
vs.
Nightwish - Passion and the Opera​
@JudasMyGuide
Nominators
@Jer
Links

Play In Round
Match 124
Tony Parsons Division​
Paradise Lost - True Belief
vs.
Tiamat - In a Dream​
@MindRuler
Nominators
Links

Play In Round
Match 125
Hallowed Be Thy Name Division​
Alice in Chains - Them Bones
vs.
Led Zeppelin - Rock and Roll​
Best Music Art 100
Nominators
Popoff 500​
Links

Play In Round
Match 126
Hallowed Be Thy Name Division​
Helmet - Unsung
vs.
Alter Bridge - Blackbird​
Radio EHS 100
Nominators
Links

I didn't think I'd vote for Slayer in any of these rounds, but then Sepultura happened.

Battle Cry is one of my favourite modern songs from one of my favourite bands. The Grand Magus song is very good though, and I'll be listening to it again.

I like a lot of Nightwish, but not their earlier albums, and especially not the ones with lyrics like these, so I'm going with Rhapsody of Fire here.

Paradise Lost, mostly because the "In A Dream" refrain grates on me.

I enjoyed the Alice In Chains song a lot, but this is one of Zeppelin's better songs.

I'll vote for Blackbird over Unsung, but I do not understand the relative worship that song gets in some circles.

"Postmortem" is one of my favourite Slayer songs; I love the riffing and the overall groove. "Dead Embryonic Cells" is neither the the best nor the worst I've heard from Sepultura, but it doesn't matter anyway - easy vote for Slayer.

I don't find Redeemer of Souls that memorable, and "Battle Cry" is no different. Grand Magus, on the other hand, never fails to deliver the goods - they always manage to sound so fresh and inspired. Another easy vote, this time for Grand Magus.

"Gargoyles..." has a lot of amazing parts, no doubt, but also some parts that dragged a bit. I dunno, it felt overlong here, but maybe it works a lot better in the context of the album. I'm not opposed to giving the entire thing a proper listen. "Passion of the Opera" is a fantastic song from my favourite Nightwish album - the lyrics are very cringy (as was the case with a lot of early Tuomas), but the music is great and Tarja is simply phenomenal. Nightwish takes this one.

I'm generally fine with Paradise Lost, and I certainly didn't mind "True Belief", but, honestly, nothing really stood out. I can safely say I enjoyed "In A Dream" far more, even if the vocals were a bit iffy. Voting for Tiamat.

Alice in Chains is one of those bands that get a lot of praise, but that I just don't get. I don't dislike "Them Bones", but it didn't wow me either - again, I felt nothing in particular stood out. "Rock and Roll" is iconic, but I think Led Zeppelin has done much better songs, so.... I dunno, Led Zeppelin I guess? I'm quite indifferent here.

"Unsung" was much better than I expected - the riffs are fairly simple, but I think it grooves along quite nicely. Alter Bridge is another band that I don't rate as highly as some others seem to do. I guess "Blackbird" objectively is the better written song here, but it's no fun being objective, is it? In the end, I honestly enjoyed "Unsung" more, so sue me - I'm voting for Helmet.

Alice in Chains is one of those bands that get a lot of praise, but that I just don't get. I don't dislike "Them Bones", but it didn't wow me either - again, I felt nothing in particular stood out.
Not to jump on you two rounds in a row lol but Layne Staley’s “AHHH!” follower by Jerry’s heavy-ass 7/8 riff blows me away every time I listen to it. You really gotta crank this song up because it unleashes like a hurricane — and this is how the album begins. Also the slightly western tinge on the chorus music is killer, not to mention that bluesy but fiery solo.

Back