1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why has Bruce disregarded his past in Samson?

Discussion in 'Maiden Chat' started by Thunderstick Lives!, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Good suggestion. Anyway... let's talk about the topic itself now. Have you something to report about the matter?

2. Wästed The Great

Wästed The Great Minister Of Chicks, Metal&Beer; Cool & Froody Dude Staff Member

No, because I haven't seen anything that points out that Bruce disregards his past at all.  I'd say that, if anything, purchasing the rights to Samson material suggests that he feels it has value, otherwise, why own something you detest.

I'd say that, without specific quotes from Bruce that state he disregards his past, we must assume that he doesn't.

Many people have a previous job/career that they know shaped and molded the way they work/operate now, but they don't go around talking to people about it.  Take any sports figure, they all know that college/minor leagues/previous teams helped shape the way they play.  Or their coaches have shaped how they play the game as well.  But, when they are interviewed, they don't thank the coach they had 5 years ago, they thank their current team.

So, I don't think that you can make the statement that Bruce disregards his past in Samson just because he doesn't talk about it.

3. Seems like I was dead wrong, thank God:

http://www.bookofhours.net/bdwbn/ginoklar.htm

I apologize if this thread offended some Bruce Dickinson fans, I was just searching for some answers...  :halo:

Samson & Thunderstick & Iron Maiden fans UNITED !!!  :ok:

4. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

"Out of the strong came forth sweetness" -Samson

Treacle fans rejoice!  :yey:

5. bearfan

bearfan Ancient Mariner

Had not read that in a while, good interview (and interesting considering what happened afterwards)

6. Very interesting now that we know the "future" (present time).  :)

7. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

Bruce loved The X-Factor didn't he?

His opinions on the post-Sabbath/w Ozzy discography I find pretty ignorant.

8. snake plissken

snake plissken Ancient Mariner

I read an interview with him back in '95 where he said he did not particularly enjoy it. I'd have to agree.

9. Black Sabbath post-Ozzy delivered the best.

10. Darth Maiden

Darth Maiden Prowler

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I've only ever heard Bruce excited about his days in Samson.

He even went out-of-his way to include them in his anthology.

Watch some cool Bruce interviews on youtube and see for yourself.

Bruce is awesome!

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

11. edclear

edclear Invader

I wouldn't compare say Dio with the Ozzy period. Sabbath were mindblowing in the 70's, and those albums still hold their ground, musically and lyrically. Progess is progress, but Sabbath 70's, 80's or 90's, totally different. It's like Maiden. I still prefer Paul as a singer, but would never say Paul is better than Bruce, the overall sound is just amazing.

12. GhostofCain

GhostofCain Ancient Mariner

Sorry for resurrecting this topic, but I just wanted to mention that when Paul Samson died Bruce did say some very nice things about him on his BBC 6 Music Radio Show (during the news section of the show, back in the day done together with Valerie Potter).

Forostar likes this.
  13. GhostofCain

GhostofCain Ancient Mariner

It was part of the short film Biceps of Steel, a weird retelling of the story of Samson and Delilah. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biceps_of_Steel

I should probably mention that I first came across this when watching the film Incubus late at night in the early 90s and thinking "Wow, what is Bruce Dickinson doing in this film?" :lol:

Oh, the pre-Internet days when finding such information was such a challenge!

14. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

Communion by Samson is one of the biggest hidden gems in rock history. That song is in the same class as Beyond the Realms of Death by Priest.

15. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Self-propelled artillery Staff Member

I just listened to it for the first time, and yes, it is a fantastic song.

The Flash likes this.
  16. Forostar

Dude. Why had LooseCannon disregarded Bruce's past in Samson?

17. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Self-propelled artillery Staff Member

Never got there.

18. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

I absolutely adore the climax of the song. The melody/solo is incredibly powerful, then you have Bruce's wailing vocals on top. Can't go without mentioning Thunderstick's awesome fill in between as well.

19. Niall Kielt

Niall Kielt Pulled Her At The Bottle Top

Aye, Communion is a fuckin tune. News to me. Well played.

20. Forostar

I find the guitar playing and bass (at least as) important here. I can enjoy the instrumental passages even more perhaps. Bruce is good but he borders on the edge of offkey singing.