Why has Bruce disregarded his past in Samson?

Thunderstick Lives!

GRAND SAMSONITE
Well...

Don't wanna touch any electric nerves here, but Bruce has always "bashed" Samson in some way. I think HEAD ON and SHOCK TACTICS are supreme masterpieces, he should be proud of his vocal work on those two classic metal/hard rock records.
Lately, he kinda softened his opinion on Samson, especially in some 2000s interviews. Maybe because Paul Samson died (RIP).

Please don't get me wrong. I love Bruce, he is one of the top singers of all time. I love Iron Maiden. I'm a Samson/Thunderstick fan. I started this thread to get some positive feedback about this. Thank you!

Last edited:
I think Sampson was pretty great, and Shock Tactics is a great album and all, but in all likelyhood Bruce has probably made tens of dollars from Sampson album sales.

Crimson Mask said:
I think Sampson was pretty great, and Shock Tactics is a great album and all, but in all likelyhood Bruce has probably made tens of dollars from Sampson album sales.

Thank you for the feedback. I wasn't criticizing the fact Bruce bought the rights... I was criticizing the fact he bashed Samson so many times and pictured them as a bunch of cannabis-addicted (lol) not much into music, which is not true. Let's face the truth, without Samson nobody would have noticed him and asked him to join the Maiden.
I hope Bruce will turn his mind on this... he's a great guy, I'm sure he will.

(The Samson CDs are out of print anyway, so I hope he will get them reissued in the near future, fingers crossed).

I have the Sampson albums on vinyl, I got into them around the Powerslave era and wanted to check out Bruce's past albums.  They are  good albums, with some good songs.  I have taken Bruce's comments as "Sampson was a good band, but Maiden was on another level", which is true .... Sampson was never going to reach the level that Maiden did if Bruce stayed with the band.  But perhaps there are some comments I have not seen.

bearfan said:
 I have taken Bruce's comments as "Sampson was a good band, but Maiden was on another level",

His assumption is half true half wrong... I mean, Samson were vastly different from Maiden. Samson were less technical, more anarchist, more situationist - they were wild, disorganized, messed up, kinky and unpredictable. Iron Maiden were more powerful, technical, fast and perfectionist.

He has said even worse things in the past...

He talked them up quite a bit on his anthology dvd. Don't think he's disrespectful at all, I just think he's a forward thinker. Iron Maiden are his future and whatever else the past is, it's gone.

snake plissken said:
He talked them up quite a bit on his anthology dvd. Don't think he's disrespectful at all, I just think he's a forward thinker. Iron Maiden are his future and whatever else the past is, it's gone.

One thing is for sure: he delivered the best in Samson, he delivered the best in Iron Maiden.

Thunderstick lives said:
Anyway, Bruce always forgets to mention he has earned many additional money

Bruce is not obligated to tell the fans all sources of his income. No one is. There's no reason to expect Bruce to talk about it, and this criticism is ridiculous.

I have Head On, it was OK. I'm very happy Bruce moved on to Maiden.

SinisterMinisterX said:
Bruce is not obligated to tell the fans all sources of his income. No one is. There's no reason to expect Bruce to talk about it, and this criticism is ridiculous.

I wasn't being litteral, so to speak.
No way I was criticizing the man. I'm just telling you it's not very fair to bash a band which put you on the map and also made you earn some bucks through 3 decades or so.
But please don't misunderstand my words. I'm glad now Bruce kinda realized he actually enjoyed to be a member of Samson at the time. And Samson will be always remembered as one of the most influential and important NWOBHM bands and maybe the most unlucky metal band in the business.

However, Bruce, please get the reissues done, we Samson fans need them!  :)

I love Head On. I like it better than a few Maiden albums.

I am following Maiden and Bruce for 20 years now, but I don't recall bashing by Bruce (stating that Maiden is on another level I do not find that bashing).

Care to provide some examples, sir?

edit:
Something I did miss was a statement by Bruce when Paul Samson died. Did he do that or not?
If he did I am glad. If he didn't we can say that this was disregarding to say the least.

Ignoring is the better word. I really hope I was wrong about what I said about Paul's death, but that's the one thing I wouldn't like.

Forostar said:
Care to provide some examples, sir?

I'm just basing my assumption on the Thunderstick interview (see above) and some hints here and there you can find on the net.
But maybe Thunderstick was overreacting on the interview... even if he sounded very honest.
I have much respect for the Bruce Dickinson man, not only for the Bruce Dickinson singer.

I don't remember any official statement from Bruce when Paul died...

So this entire thread has been based on an that interview and not a single thing from Bruce himself?  I think next time, I'd put a little more effort into producing something to validate what you are asking.

Wästed The Great said:
So this entire thread has been based on an that interview and not a single thing from Bruce himself?  I think next time, I'd put a little more effort into producing something to validate what you are asking.

Uhm... not just that interview, I must research the other "hints" throughout the net... ANYWAY I'm interfacing myself with Iron Maiden fans (YOU) in order to know more about this subject... that's the whole point of starting a thread about an Iron Maiden member on an Iron Maiden forum, crowded with Iron Maiden fans.  :) Peace and love.

Did you know that Lyle's Black Treacle (in that iconic tin) has a quote from Samson on it?...  :innocent:
(And for those of you who have the faintest idea what I'm talking about: did you ever think the lion just had flies buzzing around it 'cause it was dead?  :D)

CriedWhenBrucieLeft said:
(And for those of you who have the faintest idea what I'm talking about: did you ever think the lion just had flies buzzing around it 'cause it was dead?  :D)

Is this a funny way to say this thread is over? LOL. 

Ah. Well, I would have thought "do you think Bruce denies his roots' or something like that would make a better title. The question you stated implies that he has disregarded Samson and you are asking why; not asking if.

Back