Who's in for some more Maiden Cabaret?

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Who's looking forward to another possible Maiden Cabaret tour, part three, next year?

I can help feeling pity for Janick if they'll do this stuff for the third year in a row. Out of all people, he advocated the most against "cabaret" -tours. I mean, this isn't pure cabaret of course, and I guess you guys know what I mean with the term. I have nothing against doing such tours, but look at the these non-album tours:

1993 (Bruce's goodbye-tour after FOTD-tour and before new studio album with Blaze; a good reason to play some oldies that weren't done in ages)
1999 (Bruce and H are back; another good reason to get in shape and pumped up for the new album; done after last tour w/Blaze and before new album)
2003 (Done before/around the time DOD came out; in between BNW-tour and new studio album)
2005 (Done in between album tour and studio album)
2007 (the first mwah tour; 25 NOTB, done after AMOLAD-tour)
2008 (done 2 years since release of latest studio album)
2009 (continuation of 2008 with slightly different setlist; done 3 years since release of latest studio album)
2010 (tour with some focus on 2000-2006 material; no new studio album out; comparable with 2003)
2012 (done 2 years since release of latest studio album)
2013 (continuation of 2012; done 3 years since release of latest studio album)
2014 (continuation of 2012 and 2013; done 4 years since release of latest studio album)?????????????
God, please:
Not three years in a row!

No album? fine
Solo stuff? fine
Nothing? Not excellent, but I am ashamed to say: better than this directionless, zombiesque continuation.

Last edited:
The only real purposeless/contractual tours out of those I feel must be the 03 Give Me' Ed tour and the 2010 tour. I think all the others tie in with some sort of release, be it a Greatest Hits album, re-release of DVD, or a Iron Maiden history tour....

I think Forostar is referring to the amount of touring dedicated to old songs, in comparison to album tours.

Also, they're going to continue doing Maiden England in 2014? :confused:

While we're talking about Janick, this is probably the tour where he got the least amount of solos... But I'd imagine he wouldn't care much about that.

We don't know yet what they'll do in 2014...I think personally that they might be going for some greatest hits kids of festival shows for the summer ..not necessarily tied in with Maiden England..

But yeah, Maiden are definitely milking it live, and have been for a long time with all these tours, we all know that :D but as long as the demand is out there...

Last edited:
Who was Janick talking about when he mentioned 'cabaret acts'?

I think it was in a documentary on one of the recent DVDs, saying that Maiden are not a cabaret act, doing only old stuff, greatest hits tours, etc.

Who was Janick talking about when he mentioned 'cabaret acts'?

He didn't want to become like all the other old rock bands who just plays the classics night after night and never puts faith in any of their new stuff...

I think when Maiden do put out new stuff they definitely believe in it...Just a shame albums are so few and far between now ;)

Seriously? I have never once associated the Early Days, Somewhere Back In Time, 2010 tour, or Maiden England 2012-13 tour as being a cabaret act. I've always associated them with being just a modern take on the various classics (and playing to newer, younger audiences as well). I guess if you're an old geezer who has been seeing Iron Maiden since the late 70's, early 80's, you may be disappointed with what they've done in the past six years. But for me, to be able to say I've had a chance to see all these classics live (despite being modern, which I've already said many times before beats their 80's performances, in my honest opinion), that is worth it all right there for me.

But I have never ever seen Iron Maiden as a cabaret act. Queensryche during their 2009-2010 (?) tour did a full blown cabaret act, and it was rather sad. I guess that's what I think of when I hear the term "cabaret band", and if that's so, then yeah, Iron Maiden is NOTHING like that.

I also don't understand how you listed the 2010 tour on your (rather confusing) list? That is the one tour, in many years, where they actually played a majority of newer material.

What a weird post. Perhaps I am with Moonchild on this one, where I maybe just don't understand the meaning of this.

Putting all of that aside, they've been doing this pattern for a decade now.

2003-04 - "Dance of Death Tour" (new album)
2005- "Early Days Tour" (history tour #1)
2006-07 - "AMOLAD Tour" (new album)
2008-09 - "Somewhere Back in Time" (history tour #2)
2010-11 - "post-2000 tour for NA, The Final Frontier tour for everyone else" (somewhat new album)
2012-13 - "Maiden England" (history tour #3)

We don't yet know what they meant when they said they would possibly be touring in the summer of 2014, and whether or not this would be a third year of Maiden England, or a brand new tour. So it's unfair to jump to any conclusions based on this matter.

Last edited:
I do not think they history tours fall at all into that category because they are different from one another. I think what Janick was talking about would be playing essentially the same setlist year after year and playing little if any new material the band might do ... ala bands like Kiss, Aerosmith, etc.

When Maiden releases new material, they go all in.

I'd be fine with them doing ME 2014, as long as they finally decided to do the setlist properly... ;)

What I am trying to make clear as well is this: THREE years of the same. Not one, not two, but three years in a row! I am not saying it is going to happen, but I wonder what you all would think of the possibility.

Janick voiced his ideas on this topic in various interviews. Here's one of the earliest, from 1999. How little he (and everyone else, us included!) knew about how this would develop:
Go here: 29m15
"I am not looking back.... "
and "We're not resting on our laurels and looking back twenty years ago. We're looking forward".

This one is from 2002:
Adrian: "Without an album out.... it's uh. ..you gotta have something to build the tour around"
Janick: "I don't want the band to become a parody. I don't want to become like a cabaret band.... playing old songs. ...It's important we don't become a parody."

So that one hit the nail on its head. Now we all know what is meant by this term, in this context.

Last edited:
Two years for them now is like one year given the breaks they take. The TFF tour was 2 years as well and primarily (especially in the US) newer material.

My preference would be a new album now and a tour next year based on that album. But, the ME England tour is still essentially one tour with a bunch of gaps. It is not like they are going back and playing the same places again and again with the same setlist. The next tour that comes to "you", wherever you are, will be different. If they tour on Maiden England again next year, I presume it will be mostly in places where ME has not been seen before.

But, the ME England tour is still essentially one tour with a bunch of gaps. It is not like they are going back and playing the same places again and again with the same setlist. The next tour that comes to "you", wherever you are, will be different. If they tour on Maiden England again next year, I presume it will be mostly in places where ME has not been seen before.
*rubs eyes in amazement*
Are you just defending the band, or do you really agree with what you're saying, namely:

It doesn't matter because they keep playing different places?

So, you wouldn't mind if they continued doing the same, not only next year, but also in 2015 (I hear they haven't been to China yet). And they can spend the whole in 2016 in South Africa and Mozambique. Then in 2017 they go to Morocco. And in 2018 they'll go back into the studio.

Look, this cow has been milked a bit quicker in the past (2 years maximum). And with more variation (different setlists).

I agree that a new album and a tour with it would be best.

My point is that a caberet act as Janick was describing is not what Maiden is doing, they are doing a single Maiden England Tour that is talking forever because they are doing so many dates. If they skipped the breaks and did the exact same amount of dates in the exact same cities, but did it all in one calendar year, it would not be a problem.

But as of now, since no 2014 dates or the nature of that tour have been released, the ME tour is the same as the TFF tour .. which also could have been done in one year.

I think he was describing a band like Kiss that has been doing essentially the same show since 1996 tour after tour, year after year and even when the release a new album, hardly play anything from it.

Maiden has been alternating nostalgia tour, that are different from one to the other with a new material tour where they play substantial portions of the new material

Forostar! --whit's got into you man? First your complaining (yawning) about all the "DVD possibilities" threads --next minute you've started this grump thread! :lol:

I couldn't agree more. The argument that they're touring different places (i.e. taking the show to different people) is a pretty mute one. You might as well ask: why bother with any new albums then, since Maiden could pretty much tour the world (with the support they have), never play the same place twice --& keep this up until they retire. It's all pretty good fun for fans who didn't see this stuff the first time around, but do we need entire tours (going on for years, as Foro points out) to support the sparse older material that's actually getting played on these tours? They need to make these tours far shorter; some people, some countries, some continents just need to miss out --& for those who missed it, they get a live release. None of this makes up for (potentially) 5-6 years of no new material. I think they've all (the songwriters that is) got years of material left in them, that they could be recording & releasing. Maybe not though.

They could, but they traditionally have not. This "classic tour" is exactly the same (at this point) as the TFF tour. One summer touring the US, next summer Europe and South America ... the difference being they hit Asia during the TFF tour and have not done that for ME.

Back