Who is the GREATEST Band of all time

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Jun 29 2005, 08:53 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Jun 29 2005, 08:53 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I understand perfectly, while I wouldn't place The Rolling Stones in the same list as those bands you are right.
[snapback]110533[/snapback]​
[/quote]

yeah well im not a fan of them either but they are oldies who have been around for quite a while

[!--QuoteBegin-GammaShred+Jun 29 2005, 02:33 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(GammaShred @ Jun 29 2005, 02:33 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Hmmmm Its Hard...Im In A Few Bands...Be It Neoclassical, Power Or Whatever, All 3 Are Different Bands...But Anyway, Bands Which Have Influenced What I Play Are The Greatest IMO...Thats Like Gamma Ray, Early Helloween, Malmsteen, Man0waR, Iron Maiden Etc...But Im Not Ignorent, I Know There Are Bands Which Are Bigger And "Greater" Even If I Dont Like Them

Bands Like
_________

Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
Queen
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Who

These Bands Are Probably The Biggest Bands Ever...People Who Dont Like Rock Should Still Know Who They Are...
But They Have In No Way Influenced My Music So They Arent My Greatest...Hope You Understand What Im Trying To Say
[snapback]110447[/snapback]​
[/quote]

*steps in for mr. DICKtionary*

It would be a lot easier to understand if you did not start every word with a capital letter. You should only start the first word of a sentence and names with a capital letter. [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--] (just as the rule dictates)

[!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-DeadlySinner+Jul 4 2005, 12:35 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(DeadlySinner @ Jul 4 2005, 12:35 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]*steps in for mr. DICKtionary*

It would be a lot easier to understand if you did not start every word with a capital letter. You should only start the first word of a sentence and names with a capital letter.  [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--]  (just as the rule dictates)
[!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]110944[/snapback]​
[/quote]

you can understand fine well

[!--QuoteBegin-GammaShred+Jul 5 2005, 01:36 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(GammaShred @ Jul 5 2005, 01:36 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]you can understand fine well
[snapback]111053[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Just some further revisions: You can understand fine (here insert "and") well (or completely omit "well") Mr. DICKtionary is not going to correct every post, so props to sinner [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--].

Don't worry Gamma, you'll catch on quickly [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Jul 5 2005, 11:20 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Jul 5 2005, 11:20 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Mr. DICKtionary is not going to correct every post
[snapback]111153[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Of course not. There aren't enough hours in the day. Maybe I could do it if I spent all my time here, but I have better things to do. For example ... nah, never mind. I'll try to write one complete post without an unnecessary link to [a href=\'http://www.top10songs.net\' target=\'_blank\']my website[/a].

Oops! Dammit! How did that get in there? [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

My favorite TOP 10 bands are (in no particular order):

W.A.S.P.
Cradle Of Filth
Rammstein
Marilyn Manson
Type O Negative
Mötley Crüe
Iron Maiden
Slayer
Korn
In Flames

If you want to post your favorite bands, there is another thread in which to do that, we are talking about greatness here and I only see one band on your list (maiden of course) that makes the cut.

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Jul 7 2005, 11:23 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Jul 7 2005, 11:23 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]If you want to post your favorite bands, there is another thread in which to do that, we are talking about greatness here and I only see one band on your list (maiden of course) that makes the cut.
[snapback]111390[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Greatness is merely a matter of opinion. If those are the ten bands he thinks are the greatest, then he has the right to say so.

I would disagree in dismissing several of those bands--Slayer is a very talented group of musicians who were instrumental in creating thrash metal, and Rammstein is the single most popular and influential German-speaking metal band of all time...so Lucy, I think, has added a couple of decent ideas to the debate.

Probably the best rock/metal bands of all time are the Beatles, the Who, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, and Metallica. But that's just my view.

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Jul 8 2005, 12:23 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Jul 8 2005, 12:23 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]If you want to post your favorite bands, there is another thread in which to do that, we are talking about greatness here and I only see one band on your list (maiden of course) that makes the cut.
[snapback]111390[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Agreed [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Guest+Jul 8 2005, 12:44 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Guest @ Jul 8 2005, 12:44 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Greatness is merely a matter of opinion. If those are the ten bands he thinks are the greatest, then he has the right to say so.

I would disagree in dismissing several of those bands--Slayer is a very talented group of musicians who were instrumental in creating thrash metal, and Rammstein is the single most popular and influential German-speaking metal band of all time...so Lucy, I think, has added a couple of decent ideas to the debate.

Probably the best rock/metal bands of all time are the Beatles, the Who, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, and Metallica. But that's just my view.
[snapback]111394[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Read the persons post again unregistered guest (p.s register it's worth it). he/she says "these are my favorite bands, not "these are the bands I consider great. I said this on another thread and I'll say it again PLEASE read every post before making an ass of your self.

IMHO, the greatest band ever is Pink FLoyd. I discovered them last fall, but now i've been awaken. I lose whole nights listening t their music. I'm not sure if they made music or drugs...

Tough question to answer. I'd say it was between Iron Maiden and Led Zeppelin.

I love both bands, but one major deciding factor is that I wasn't alive to see Zeppelin play live with John Bonham, so the fact that Iron Maiden are still around and I see them live means that I take a much more active interest in the band. So for this reason I prefer Maiden, but were Zeppelin around today my opinion might be different. After all, they were in a slow decline when John Bonham died, so had they reached 13 studio albums, they might not have maintaned such a high quality of music.

Apart from these two, my awards for true greatness go out to AC/DC and Black Sabbath.

A few of the most influential bands in history:

The Beatles (godfathers of rock)
Metallica (godfathers of trashmetal)
Iron Maiden (Number of the Beast was a record that changed the world of music forever)
Pink Floyd (Jewels of symphonic Rock)
Genesis (see Pink Floyd)

/Edit: I forgot one: Alice Cooper, the very first shockrocker

[!--QuoteBegin-national acrobat+Jul 29 2005, 01:56 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(national acrobat @ Jul 29 2005, 01:56 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]After all, [Led Zeppelin] were in a slow decline when John Bonham died, so had they reached 13 studio albums, they might not have maintaned such a high quality of music.
[snapback]113475[/snapback]​
[/quote]
While I see where you're coming from, I'm inclined to disagree. Keep in mind that this is both just my personal opinion and mere speculation, but I think Zeppelin were in a transitional state. As of Physical Graffiti, they had mastered the "epic heavy blues" thing and were ready for something different. I agree the last couple Zep records aren't as good as the first 6, but I think those guys had sufficient talent to work their way out of that slump.

My evidence, meager as it is, for thinking they were in transition:
Increased reliance on keyboards, such as "Carouselambra" and "All My Love"
More innovative song structures in their blues-rock numbers, e.g. "Nobody's Fault But Mine"

A more interesting question is: how many of Zep's fans would have stuck with them if they had continued to change their style? There were (and still are) millions of casual fans who only wanted to hear clones of "Black Dog". I fear that Zep was on their way to the fate later suffered by Metallica; that is, a great portion of the original fan base turning away because they didn't like the newer music as much.

This suggests to me two criteria for declaring a band to be among the greatest:

1. The band should exhibit obvious artistic growth over the course of their entire career. Zeppelin, Maiden and the Beatles fit this criteria, along with many others. An example of a band that doesn't is AC/DC. They started out well, but they've been trying to replicate Back In Black since 1980 and have stalled artistically.

2. The band's music should be consistently good enough that stylistic changes don't alienate half their fans. Of couse some fans will always get left behind because they can't handle change, but retaining the majority of the fan base is a good standard to set. Again, Zep, Maiden and the Beatles are bands that fit this category. Metallica is the prime example of band that fails in this regard. Even for fans like me who thought Load and ReLoad were at least acceptable, St. Anger was the last straw that firmly put Metallica on the B-list of "once great, now a has-been".

The bottom line is we'll never know what might have become of Zep if Bonham had lived: eventual progression to a higher artistic plane, or a slow slide into irrelevancy. Maybe I prefer the first option simply because Zep is my #2 favorite band (#1 is Maiden, of course) and I don't want to imagine my heroes turning into zeroes.

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+Aug 3 2005, 03:31 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Aug 3 2005, 03:31 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I agree the last couple Zep records aren't as good as the first 6, but I think those guys had sufficient talent to work their way out of that slump.
[snapback]113901[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, I think Zeppelin's last two albums are awesome, and I probably listen to In Through the Out Door more than any other of their albums. However, they're always going to be remembered for their 'typical' rock songs, like Black Dog, Heartbreaker, Whole Lotta Love etc. and by their last album In Throught The Out Door, they only had one 'classic Zeppelin' song in In The Evening.

I do agree with a lot of what you have to say though SMX, in that they were in a transitional stage, but I just wonder if they had continued in the vein they were going would their songs have been increasingly wierder and wackier, and as you say how many of their fans would have stuck by them? I guess we'll never know, but I'm more than happy with the albums which Zeppelin did produce.

[!--QuoteBegin-Valerus+Aug 5 2005, 11:17 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Valerus @ Aug 5 2005, 11:17 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Iron Maiden. Nothing else comes close.
[snapback]114201[/snapback]​
[/quote]

That's it? NO explaination to why your favourite band is greater than someone else's favourite band?

Iron Maiden are great but if you are looking for the best metal band, it would have to be THEIR idols = Led Zeppelin. (watch the spelling Guest_böclöc_*)

Back