Who is the GREATEST Band of all time

A

Anonymous

Who is the greatest band of all time? A question I am asked all the time when looking for gigs. People get a taste of who you are, (our if your in a band) what you play. It's hard to choose just one, so my top ten is...

1. blue öyster cult
2. van halen
3. led zepellin
4. rainbow
5. Jimi Hendrix Experience
6. black sabbath
7. deep purple
8. ac/dc
9. areosmith
10.iron maiden

[span style=\'font-size:21pt;line-height:100%\']Iron Maiden,[/span] no other band comes close.

I do like all the bands on your list, though.

Good list, but I'd place Iron maiden higher... say in place of AC/DC... AC/DC dead last. also is it not "WHICH" is the greatest band? where is mr. dicktionary when you need him....

edit: POST 1,000 WOOOHOOOOOO 'bout freakin' time!

Here's the problem: there are way too many standards for greatness. How do you measure it - record sales? Concert ticket sales? Critical acclaim, and if so which critics? It would obviously be easy to create almost any standard of greatness you like to make your personal favorite band seem to be the greatest band ever.

There's also the issue of musical genre to consider. By many objective standards, Aeonblade is right: the Beatles are the greatest rock band ever. But this is the Metal For Life Forum, and the Beatles aren't metal. Even metal is hard to define. Some people would say AC/DC is a metal band while others (such as myself) would disagree.

The only fair answer to this question that I can give is to say that Maiden are my personal all-time favorite band. Any other standard of judgement can be contested, and I'm not the type of person who likes having my declarations questioned. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+May 25 2005, 03:19 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ May 25 2005, 03:19 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Some people would say AC/DC is a metal band while others (such as myself) would disagree.
[snapback]105592[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Even one of the Young brothers said that they found it irritating when people called AC/DC metal.

Well, When I think of "Greatest Band" I only think of Rock n' Roll, Hard Rock and Metal. Never in such discusions do I think of Pop, R&B, Rap etc. And of course even though the Beatles were very popular I don't consider them pop at all, simply a comercially successful Rock band.

I've always liked the beatles but I never really felt they were "the greatest" band, specially comparing them to later bands including lyrics, sound and musicianship. However one summer I saw a special on tv on 50's rock n' Roll and that's when it hit me: The Beatles are the Jesus of Rock music, it can be divided into before and after The Beatles. They changed the landscape forever and because of that they were, are and always will be the greatest band EVER.

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+May 26 2005, 06:10 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ May 26 2005, 06:10 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Well, When I think of "Greatest Band" I only think of Rock n' Roll, Hard Rock and Metal. Never in such discusions do I think of Pop, R&B, Rap etc. And of course even though the Beatles were very popular I don't consider them pop at all, simply a comercially successful Rock band.

I've always liked the beatles but I never really felt they were "the greatest" band, specially comparing them to later bands including lyrics, sound and musicianship. However one summer I saw a special on tv on 50's rock n' Roll and that's when it hit me: The Beatles are the Jesus of Rock music, it can be divided into before and after The Beatles. They changed the landscape forever and because of that they were, are and always will be the greatest band EVER.
[snapback]105731[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Well, I guess that just about sums up and closes this topic...

Beatles= [!--emo&:bow:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/bowdown.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'bowdown.gif\' /][!--endemo--] !!!! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Pineapple Hunter+May 29 2005, 10:58 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Pineapple Hunter @ May 29 2005, 10:58 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Maiden. Otherwise most of us wouldnt be on this site, would we?
[snapback]106152[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Actually, there are members here who have stated that Maiden is NOT their all-time favorite band. Being a fan of Maiden doesn't mean you can't think another band is better.

Hav to saywhen it comes to the greatest rock bands ever the list would go
1. Queen
2. Iron Maiden
3. Metallica
4. Led Zeppelin
5. Megadeth
6. Alice Cooper
7. Black Sabbath
8. AC/DC
9. Guns N Roses
10. Judas Priest

1. Iron Maiden
2. Bruce Dickinson
3. Blind Guardian
4. Judas Priest
5. Black Sabbath
6. Helloween
7. Dio
8. Dragonforce
9. UFO
10. KISS

Please don't restate what other members already said in a more eloquent and better structured way than you did. If you think you can ADD to it say it in a more polite manner.

What part of "Polite" don't you understand? [!--emo&<_<--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/dry.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'dry.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Iron Maiden... [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-DOD=WEAK+May 29 2005, 11:40 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(DOD=WEAK @ May 29 2005, 11:40 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--][!--emo&:cussing:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cussing[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cussing[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] Shut it now.
[snapback]106231[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Considering Mr. "DOD=WEAK" already has a troll user name, I don't think you'll get him any more polite than that, Onhell [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I am protector of the n00bs. The light that shines. The only ray of hope. And while I have already attacked him, I am still obliged to help him. Forgiveness is offered as it has been in the past. Forgive and forget, shall we?

Forgiveness for now. [img src=\'http://www.metal-rules.com/bb/images/smiles/nod.gif\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /]

But if he continues to troll, let's ban his ass!!! [img src=\'http://www.metal-rules.com/bb/images/smiles/new_tomato.gif\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /]

Back