Who are your Top 5 guitarists of all time

Did you totally suspect that Gibbons used a penny? :p

tumblr_m3a7ltWTuR1qj74sxo1_500.gif

I would have named Django Reinhardt in that first post, but that seemed inappropriate somehow...

1) Joe Satriani (0)
2) John Petrucci (new)
3) Adrian Smith, Dave Murray (0)
4) Glenn Tipton (-2)

A small update. There are some guys I need to check out more, like Andy Timmons and Marco Sfogli, as they have the potential to be top 5 material.
Also, I found that there was a "best guitarists ever" survivor in 2011, how come that hasn't happened more often? :p

I've got to introduce some recent favourites into the top 5.

Marco Sfogli - a genius at phrasing and melody-making, has fantastic control over the fretboard and is very much inspired by Petrucci. I love his ability to shape each note with amazing feeling. Tends to perhaps "wank" too much, I'd like it if reduced the amount of different solos and melodies in his songs.
Jack Thammarat - Inspired more by Satriani, Thammarat usually sticks to simpler melodies that resemble vocal lines. His phrasing is similar to that of Sfogli, I think of it as a very modern style. The man has fantastic tones and sounds a bit softer than Sfogli. At the moment, I'd rate them completely equal.

1) Joe Satriani
2) John Petrucci
3) Marco Sfogli, Jack Thammarat
4) Adrian Smith, Dave Murray
5) Glenn Tipton

David Gilmour, Adrian Smith, Mark Knopfler, Dave Murray, Joe Satriani

Posted 6 years ago.

Right now I feel like dropping Dave and Satch and putting Ritchie and Dime up there.
It's hard to do a top 5. I feel like it changes on monthly basis :) Also Mustaine/Friedman are always in calculation.

Nice picks! Rothery has a fantastic lead tone, and feel for melody. Barre is an icon as well, praised by Mark Knopfler. Sad to see he is not working with Anderson anymore.

Adrian Smith must've been a Rothery fan too, since a lot of his leads and guitar tone on SIT remind me of Rothery's on Misplaced Childhood (1985).

I'm gonna cheat and make 2 lists - one for rhythm players and one for lead players.

Fave rhythm guitarists:
Rick Nielsen (Cheap Trick)
Rich Robinson (Black Crowes)
Ronnie Wood (Faces, Rod Stewart, Rolling Stones)
Pete Townshend
Jimmy Page
(hon. mention: Jimi Hendrix)

Fave lead guitarists:
Randy Rhoads
Warren Haynes (Allman Bros, Gov't Mule)
Eddie Hazel (Funkadelic - see "Maggot Brain" if you never heard of him)
Robin Trower
Neal Schon (Journey - yeah, some of the underlying tunes were a bit wimpy, but he even rocked out on some of those - see outro lead to "Faithfully," which inspired Prince's "Purple Rain." For Schon rocking out, check the HSAS album he did with Sammy Hagar in '84.)
(hon. mention: Dave Navarro)

Some of the guys on both lists do a lot of playing that's kind of a hybrid - tasty rhythm lines with lots of cool fills, like Hendrix & Rhoads, so it's not a strict division, but I classify them based on their overall greatest strengths.

Last edited:
Back