Rikstewart

Trooper
My Top 5 guitarists of all time changes quite a bit but for now they are
1.Jimi Hendrix
2.Tom Morello
3.Slash
4.Dave Murray
5.John Frusciante
Usual other candidates are Adrian Smith, David Gilmour, John Squire, Kerry King, Angus Young, Jimmy Page

My favorites are (in no specific order except Joe Satriani who's my number one:

Joe Satriani
Dave Murray
Ritchie Blackmore
Yngwie Malmsteen

- And to wrap it up, some good old rocknroll: Chuck Berry

Impossible to do I'm afraid.

I like in (hard)rock / metal:

- Adrian Smith
- Dave Murray
- Janick Gers
- Glenn Tipton
- K.K. Downing
- Alex Lifeson
- Craig Goldy
- Vivian Campbell
- Nils Norberg (ex-Nocturnal Rites)
- Lars Johansson (Candlemass)
- Kai Hansen
- Per Nilsson (Scar Symmetry)
- Roy Z
- Tony Iommi

further:
- Mark Knopfler
- David Gilmour

And in jazz I have learnt to appreciate the melodic inventiveness by Grant Green

source:
"... A severely underrated player during his lifetime, Grant Green is one of the great unsung heroes of jazz guitar. Like Stanley Turrentine, he tends to be left out of the books. Although he mentions Charlie Christian and Jimmy Raney as influences, Green always claimed he listened to horn players (Charlie Parker and Miles Davis) and not other guitar players, and it shows. No other player has this kind of single-note linearity (he avoids chordal playing). There is very little of the intellectual element in Green's playing, and his technique is always at the service of his music. And it is music, plain and simple, that makes Green unique.

Green's playing is immediately recognizable — perhaps more than any other guitarist. Green has been almost systematically ignored by jazz buffs with a bent to the cool side, and he has only recently begun to be appreciated for his incredible musicality. Perhaps no guitarist has ever handled standards and ballads with the brilliance of Grant Green." ...

Top 5?
I'll give it some more thought.

This should be a hard one, but I'll try anyway.

Tony Iommi
Jimi Hendrix
David Gilmour
Ritchie Blackmore
Adrian Smith

And some honourable mentions (far from exhaustive, and in no order): Dave Murray, Janick Gers (yeah, chew on that one!), Jimmy Page, Brian Robertson, Martin Barre, Vivian Campbell, Brian May, Farzad Golpayegani, Alex Lifeson... and then some.

Like I said, my list changes all the time, the only constant is Hendrix at number one, other than that it all depends on what I'm currently listening to.

-Rory Gallagher
-Yngwie Malmsteen
-Marty Friedman
-Ritchie Blackmore
-Dave Murray

Anyone of those could be my #1.Rory gets just a little bit more praise.

Tony Iommi
Alex Lifeson
Ritchie Blackmore
Adrian Smith
Randy Rhoads
Bill Steer
Denis D'Amour (Piggy - R.I.P.)
James Hetfield
Jimi Hendrix
David Gilmour
Rory Gallagher
Larry 'Rhino' Reinhardt
Glenn Tipton
K.K. Downing
Jimmy Page
Michael Schenker
Uli Jon Roth
Rudolf Schenker
Eddie Van Halen
Rik Emmett
George Benson
Garry 'Gaz' Jennings
Michael Amott
Gregor Mackintosh
Chuck Schuldiner
Andy Summers
Robert Fripp
Vernon Reid

David Gilmour, Adrian Smith, Mark Knopfler, Dave Murray, Joe Satriani

Alright then, here goes. For the moment, it'll be (in random order)

1-5:
Adrian Smith
Dave Murray
Glenn Tipton
Grant Green
David Gilmour

Honourable mentions (and just as good in their own way):
- Alex Lifeson
- Roy Z
- Mark Knopfler
- Kai Hansen

Dave Mustaine (How has nobody mentioned him?!)
Alex Lifeson
Adrian Smith
Dimebag Darrell (R.I.P.)
Eddie Van Halen

If anyone dares put Kirk Hammett higher then Dave Mustaine there will be hell to pay.

Prowler_108 said:
Dave Mustaine (How has nobody mentioned him?!)
Alex Lifeson
Adrian Smith
Dimebag Darrell (R.I.P.)
Eddie Van Halen

If anyone dares put Kirk Hammett higher then Dave Mustaine there will be hell to pay.
I suggest you go kick Joe Satriani's ass then, because that's just what he did on That Metal Show.  :lol:

(Then again, he's probably biased since Hammet was his student)

Hammett was ONLY GOOD on Puppets and Justice.  Hetfield's infinetely better then him and he only plays rhythm.  Mustaine would kill and humiliate Hammett in a "guitar battle" any day.  Even during Megadeth's "sell-out" period, he was still the best metal guitarist ever.  Hammett became sloppy and frankly terrible after the black album.  And as much as I like Satriani I just lost a little respect for him  :mad:

I'm not sure Kirk and Hetfield should count for guitarists.Hetfield is better for sure anyway.
Kirk happens to have the worst guitar sound ever.

Murder89 said:
I'm not sure Kirk and Hetfield should count for guitarists.Hetfield is better for sure anyway.
Kirk happens to have the worst guitar sound ever.

Hammet uses too much "wah," Hetfield uses too much "whoah."  It's annoying on both counts.

So you don't know Metallica. The man's rhythm guitar is second to none, specially on ...AJFA. Mustaine was as important as him on settling the standards for Thrash Metal rhythm guitar and on composing many anthologic riffs for Metallica. Hammett made some of my fave guitar solos of all times and I was influenced by him for that, but he's a common guitarrist and didn't evolute as time went by.

Shit, I forgot about Mustaine, he was still better that Hammet when he was injured, me and my band do a cover of Sandman and when it comes to the solo if I can't be arsed to play it right I just hide behind loads of wah and delay like he does, as much as I love Metallica I don't rate his playing that highly

Back