Who are your second favourite metal band?

Perun said:
I used to be into Priest big time, but recently, they've become rather dull to me. There are still some exciting parts, even entire albums, but the bulk of their discography doesn't really move me (anymore). I'll still agree that Stained Class, Screaming For Vengeance, Defenders Of The Faith, Painkiller and Angel Of Retribution are brilliant albums, but for the rest.. there's one or two, sometimes even four or five great songs on the respective albums, but the bulk of the albums are mediocre. However, those I mentioned belong to the cream of Heavy Metal to me.

Sin After Sin isn't that much under par either (understatement, from my side ;) )
Albie said:
Another question. Why do we think Iron Maiden keeps their fan-base pretty much more loyal than any other band? This may have been discussed a million times before, but I don't recall much talk on here (excuse me if there actually is a separate thread on this). Is it down to pure loyalty, consistency in their work, or something else? I can think of few bands that can command such a solid fan-base, it has almost become the way of a football team for Maiden, supported by the fans no matter what.

Besides the great music (something which I admire immensely), I have never experienced any other band with such an attitude, or call it dedication. On stage they go 200% for it, playing with the fire in their eyes. Even in the seventies, when they were not very experienced, Steve already stuck to his guns and told people, who wanted him to change his music and to cut his hair, to piss off.

I have a deep respect for such an independence, such attitude, and that might have caused my loyalty.

Forostar said:
Besides the great music (something which I admire immensely), I have never experienced any other band with such an attitude, or call it dedication. On stage they go 200% for it, playing with the fire in their eyes. Even in the seventies, when they were not very experienced, Steve already stuck to his guns and told people, who wanted him to change his music and to cut his hair, to piss off.

I have a deep respect for such an independence, such attitude, and that might have caused my loyalty.

yeap !
yet loyalty is a bit more mysterious sometimes!

I'm not 100% for the lack of improvisation on stage, patriotic songs is not my favourite, I would like more music experimentation, more guitar oriented songs, more riffs and many many other objections,
but yet I am loyal some 20 years now....

I think what I've learned from the band all these years, is that on has to follow his vision and carry it against the odds without doupts
Yes, this -sometimes selfish- but yet so respectfull attidute can be the reason !!

"...When you think that weve used all our chances
And the chance to make everything right
Keep on making the same old mistakes
Makes untipping the balance so easy
When were living our lives on the edge
Say a prayer on the book of the dead...
"

I may be wrong on this one, but with the exception of Eddie, Iron Maiden was never that huge on image.  Steve and the guys were always more focused on song-writing and the music.  It is easier to gain new fans if your image is not a huge part of you.
Albie said:
How nicely put. ;)
Many years ago, I was heavily into Megadeth (not as much as Metallica in those days) and was over the moon when they decided to come to the UK as part of co-headline tour with Slayer (Testament and Suicidal Tendencies in support). What a frigging gig, I thought. Each and every band was, to me, brilliant. Each band was promoting a brilliant album (Rust in Peace, Seasons in the Abyss, Souls of Black and Light..Camera..Revolution accordingly). The tour was dubbed "Clash of the Titans" and played to arenas in the UK (and Europe, I believe). The band I was most looking forward to, out of that lot, was Slayer, but I was almost as eagerly anticipating Megadeth. As Mustaine and crew took to the stage, I was happy....then he started to open his mouth, talk down to some members of the audience ("Shut up prick, I'm talking", well if you can't handle a little heckle don't get on stage), and generally be a real egotistical prick. This display put me off Megadeth and I actually stopped buying their CD's (and I am not wholly alone in thinking this, I have spoken to some others who attending this tour and felt the same).

Around 10 years after, a friend of mine who had all their stuff lent me some of his CD's. It was at that point I realised what I had missed all those years. Now, I'm a Megadeth fan - again (and more so than Metallica, this time).
Another question. Why do we think Iron Maiden keeps their fan-base pretty much more loyal than any other band? This may have been discussed a million times before, but I don't recall much talk on here (excuse me if there actually is a separate thread on this). Is it down to pure loyalty, consistency in their work, or something else? I can think of few bands that can command such a solid fan-base, it has almost become the way of a football team for Maiden, supported by the fans no matter what.

Dave was a dick.  He was a mean drunk since (or before) his Metallica days, and he was even meaner since the split.  I have not read anything new about him.  Maybe he has changed his ways since going Christian again.  I know his bitter feud with former bandmate David Ellefson was pretty nasty and Dave usually is mean to anyone that disagrees with him.  On the bright side, bitterness and anger infuse into his political songs.  This emotion and the snarl are partially what make Megadeth interesting to me.  The music is even better though.

Genghis Khan said:
I may be wrong on this one, but with the exception of Eddie, Iron Maiden was never that huge on image.  Steve and the guys were always more focused on song-writing and the music.  It is easier to gain new fans if your image is not a huge part of you.
Dave was a dick.  He was a mean drunk since (or before) his Metallica days, and he was even meaner since the split.  I have not read anything new about him.  Maybe he has changed his ways since going Christian again.  I know his bitter feud with former bandmate David Ellefson was pretty nasty and Dave usually is mean to anyone that disagrees with him.  On the bright side, bitterness and anger infuse into his political songs.  This emotion and the snarl are partially what make Megadeth interesting to me.  The music is even better though.

This is the man who Kerry King has been quoted as saying, 'He's not a very nice man,' about.  KERYY KING.  When he thinks you're a bit of a prick, you have issues. :D

Maybe he has changed his ways since going Christian again.

Yes...they've dropped Five Magics and The Conjuring from their set lists... :mad:

Plus, Dave has objected to performing with other metal bands with Anti-Christian lyrics; most notably, he had Rotting Christ and Dissection booted off a festival line-up in Israel because he didn't want to play with them, and didn't have the balls to drop Megadeth out himself.  You play in a metal band!  Do you really expect to get through a festival without coming across at least one very anti-Christian band? <_<

Mustaine is one of the few pricks I really like. I love the fact that his an asshole, because he's also a smart ass. When he came to Tucson on Halloween a couple of years ago he said, "So you guys having a good Halloween? I was going to dress up as Axl Rose, but I couldn't find a fat suit with 'loser' on it" HAHAHA. He definately has issues, but for some reason I do like him more than Schaffer, another egotistical prick.

Onhell said:
but for some reason I do like him more than Schaffer, another egotistical prick.

Well, Schaffer truly is a great musician- in every sense of the word.  :innocent:

As for the Judas Priest thing: I understand Sad Wings Of Destiny and British Steel are legendary heavy metal classics, and I can (mostly) see why. There are a couple of songs on both albums that I really like, such as The Ripper, Victim Of Changes, Dreamer Deceiver, Breaking The Law (yes, it may be the most overplayed heavy metal song ever, but it just rips) or Metal Gods- but for the most part, these albums don't do anything for me, and most of the material just isn't memorable, unlike the albums I mentioned earlier. As I said, this is the case with most Priest albums: They have a few really good songs, but the rest is forgettable. To break it down:

Rocka Rolla - Never mind.
Sad Wings Of Destiny - The Ripper, Victim Of Changes, Dreamer Deceiver
Sin After Sin - Sinner, Diamonds And Rust
Killing Machine - Delivering The Goods, Hell Bent For Leather, Green Manalishi, Running Wild
British Steel - Metal Gods, Breaking The Law, Living After Midnight
Point Of Entry - Heading Out To The Highway, Desert Plains
Turbo - Turbo Lover, Locked In, Out In The Cold
Ram It Down - Never mind.

As for the Ripper albums, I admit I haven't given Jugulator a fair listen yet (though I like Cathedral Spires), and Demolition is half-decent.

Raven said:
Yes...they've dropped Five Magics and The Conjuring from their set lists... :mad:

I remember hearing that!  I've heard The Conjuring live before but never Five Magics (or the two songs below).
Does this mean that Bad Omen and Good Mourning/Black Friday are going to be on future set lists?  :innocent:

Megadeth is a band I've got into recently, and I'm absolutely loving them at the moment. Not knowing anything really about Dave Mustaine, it's all about the music, which it should be really. Rust In Peace is an album that I can't stop playing, and I also very much like the System Has Failed. Playing them full volume while doing washing-up is annoying my housemates a lot. :D I only have four albums, no money to buy the rest.

My second favourite metal band is Black Sabbath though, any era, but I prefer early Ozzy stuff. Judas Priest is a band I like a lot, but again, I only have 5 albums, my favourite probably being Angel of Retribution.

I'm anticipating the new Megadeth album coming out soon.  I'm not, however, too keen on the 'A Toute Le Monde' look alike song.

They will be in Toronto this month.  Unfortunately, I have work-related commitments.  :(

*off conversation /on topic*

I would had some laugh if someone
in this question "Who are your second favourite metal band?" answers "Iron Maiden" LOL  :devil2:

333th post !!

Genghis Khan said:
Why, it'd be perfectly normal.

yes, of course but this doesn't change the fact that I would had some laugh  :bigsmile:

what's your opinion about my 2nd fav bands ? (Warlord -Savatage)

After reading the last posts, I disagree with some of you.
I don´t consider Judas Priest mediocre. They´re just one of the greatest heavy-metal bands.
Whether you like those albums that were mentioned or not, saying they´re "mediocre" isn´t fair at all. They´ve great arrangements, riffs and Rob Halford's voice. That man has such privileged, technically developed and magical vocal chords.
You said Judas Priest lost a part of their fan-base during the Ripper years...well, don't forget the same happened to  Maiden in the Blaze era.

Perun said:
Well, Schaffer truly is a great musician- in every sense of the word.  :innocent:

As for the Judas Priest thing: I understand Sad Wings Of Destiny and British Steel are legendary heavy metal classics, and I can (mostly) see why. There are a couple of songs on both albums that I really like, such as The Ripper, Victim Of Changes, Dreamer Deceiver, Breaking The Law (yes, it may be the most overplayed heavy metal song ever, but it just rips) or Metal Gods- but for the most part, these albums don't do anything for me, and most of the material just isn't memorable, unlike the albums I mentioned earlier. As I said, this is the case with most Priest albums: They have a few really good songs, but the rest is forgettable. To break it down:

Rocka Rolla - Never mind.
Sad Wings Of Destiny - The Ripper, Victim Of Changes, Dreamer Deceiver
Sin After Sin - Sinner, Diamonds And Rust
Killing Machine - Delivering The Goods, Hell Bent For Leather, Green Manalishi, Running Wild
British Steel - Metal Gods, Breaking The Law, Living After Midnight
Point Of Entry - Heading Out To The Highway, Desert Plains
Turbo - Turbo Lover, Locked In, Out In The Cold
Ram It Down - Never mind.

As for the Ripper albums, I admit I haven't given Jugulator a fair listen yet (though I like Cathedral Spires), and Demolition is half-decent.

Hey man, don't assume everybody finds those songs as forgettable as you do. Sad Wings of destiny is to me one of the finest albums ever recorded, not one single song is mediocre, but then again that is just my view of it.

To me virtual XI is a pretty mediocre album with the possible exception of The Clansman and Como Estais Amigos. In the same way that Ripper didn't get a fair shot because the music written was very unlike Judas, the Blaze era albums didn't get a fair shot because Blaze was not the right vocalist for them (just imagine AMLOAD with him).

However I do see your point. It is much harder to keep a band sounding fresh while keeping it's original sound. Despite that, Maiden could use a little recycling of old songs or even giving a chance to some great tunes they never even played live like Deja-vu or Judas be my Guide, something which Judas Priest does much more often.

As for the topic, I think it's pretty obvious by now that Priest would be my number 2 choice (if not number 1, I can never decide). Either that or Megadeth.

Boy, you forget to double check your posts for pc once...

All the time, I was stating my opinion and reasoning it. Just because I didn't say "in my opinion" after every half sentence doesn't mean I'm trying to press it onto you. If you enjoy the stuff I don't like, that's great, I'm happy for you. Besides, I don't hate Judas Priest, and I think I stated well enough that I like much of their work very much.

You said Judas Priest lost a part of their fan-base during the Ripper years...well, don't forget the same happened to  Maiden in the Blaze era.

That was actually part of a different argument. And for the record, I think I mentioned somewhere that I actually enjoy "Demolition".

Hey man, don't assume everybody finds those songs as forgettable as you do.

I don't. My agressive behaviour in this post was aimed at no5 having difficulty to accept my opinion.

Instead of having difficulties with someone else's opinion, why not post some tracks you like yourself.

When I read Perun's list I also felt the need to tell there are way more cool Priest tracks for me.

A few reactions from my side (however, this topic might turn into a Priest-topic ;) ):

"Rocka Rolla - Never mind"
Run of the Mill has such a nice build-up ! Downing's solo is really exciting. This album is a pretty calm album but it has its moments still.

"Sad Wings Of Destiny - The Ripper, Victim Of Changes, Dreamer Deceiver"
You sure mentioned the best tracks from the album, but Deceiver, Tyrant & Island of Domination I like a lot as well. Epitaph was a growing-song to me. Later I started liking it because of its mood and the vocals.

"Sin After Sin - Sinner, Diamonds And Rust"
I think I'd give every track (besides Last Rose of Summer) 4 or 5 stars. This album features excellent drums of Simon Philips who was only 19 at the time of recording. Let Us Prey/Call for the Priest is special to me because of the harmonies in the mid-part, and I think this is the first real speed/power metal kind of song ever created. This mid-piece is really the basis of the prime-elements in Helloween's music. Starbreaker has a cool guitar riff, Dissident Aggressor I like because of its intense aggression, the vocals, the riffs. Last, but not least, an honorable mention for Here Come The Tears. What an emotion, what a melodies, what a built-up and what a vocals. Such deep and low vocals (check with headphones how it goes from left to right and back) and later high ones. Very impressing.

"Killing Machine - Delivering The Goods, Hell Bent For Leather, Green Manalishi, Running Wild"
This is the first album consisting of short tunes. I like the ones you mentioned (my three favourites are definitely the last three you mentioned) but most others I like as well.

"British Steel - Metal Gods, Breaking The Law, Living After Midnight"
I think that Rapid Fire, Grinder & The Rage also belong to this subdivision of songs and the last three tracks of the album I like a lot as well.

"Point Of Entry - Heading Out To The Highway, Desert Plains"
Might be Priest's worst 80's album, but strangely enough I enjoy Heading Out.. terribly much in a live situation. Solar Angels isn't a bad track either.

"Turbo - Turbo Lover, Locked In, Out In The Cold"
I despize the lyrics of this album, but some tunes have such catchy guitar riffs and vocals that I can't despize the album itself. I agree with your choice, but Reckless (great chorus and solos!) and Hot For Love belong to this list.

"Ram It Down - Never mind."
Hehehe, well. The drums on this album are very bad computer simulated drums in my ears. The crappy tracks on this album are terrible. If I was in the band I would have dumped the ideas of Love Zone, Come And Get It & Love You To Death immediately into the trash can. But the other 7 tracks aren't bad. Actually, I think that the title track is amazing, Heavy Metal has good parts and I like the intro as well! Hard As Iron has an excellent midpiece. Blood Red Skies' atmosphere I like a lot. A bit of a Blade Runner feel. I think it's a strong song with great moments, the keyboards (or guitar synths) really lifting it all to higher level.

Back