Who are your second favourite metal band?

Like some others here, I would vote for Judas Priest. Rob Halford has an amazing voice and Glenn and K.K churn out some great riffs.
Iced Earth comes a close 3rd with another god like vocalist (till 2003) Matt Barlow. His replacement Tim Owens (ex- Judas Priest) while not having such an amazing voice, is still a great singer.

Interesting. A lot of Priest fans here. Not a band I thought of when I was imagining the results. I thought Metallica, Megadeth maybe even Sabbath

Albie said:
Open question to all: Has your current favourite metal act always been as stated?

In my case, had I been asked this a few years ago, it would have been Slayer without a shadow of doubt - but I have recently got heavily into Amorphis and Anathema and therefore it has changed somewhat. Had it been before Load, then Metallica by a mile.

But for someone that loves thrash, I only have a couple of these bands in my last.fm top ten (Kreator, Slayer and Celtic Frost) - but this still ranks as my favoured choice of metal sub-genre.

That's what made the question so hard to answer in my case. My cd's are like my potential future children: I love them all equally. :D Most of you know by now I'm a Power Metal feind, but recently I've gotten into death and doom and Amorphis has me mesmerized. I went with Therion because in the musical technicality category I place them above Helloween... my true second love, but they haven't been as consistent as Maiden or Therion.

Well, it's a tough choice, but if I haveto forgo all things Maiden (meaning Blaze and Bruce) I'd say Judas Priest. Savatage also comes very close to my second favorite. What I like about both these bands are particularly their singers and their melodic riffs. I think Savatage has better lyrics than Priest (from what I've heard), but I like the actual sound of Priest better, and I also think they have better solos.

P.S. I'm actually quite surprised that so many of you mentioned Blaze as a potential second or third place, but none of you mentioned Bruce. I prefer his music to Blaze although the influence of Maiden is strong.

80's Metallica, probably.  At the moment, at least. 

3rd comes Iced Earth.  They used to be my second, before I re-discovered Metallica (thanks to the IMC!).

2. Metallica, Black Sabbath, Dragonforce, Anthrax, Megadeth.
:)

All great bands.

Forostar said:
In Maiden's music, you can find way more tempo and rhyhtm changes and rhythm variations. So I'd definitely would call Maiden's music more complex.

Iron Maiden is not "just another heavy metal band" as Priest to me. Priest sounds more typically Heavy Metal, it's their image, their trademark but also their sound.

Iron Maiden is not only the most important and influential band of the metal genre, but also they have an unmistakable sound. There are many bands that sound like Judas Priest, but who sounds like Iron Maiden (as much as Maiden themselves)? You can hear Maiden's influence in many, but their still more unique, because no other band writes songs like Maiden does and no other band plays and sounds like Maiden. It's unique. Priest's Painkiller was also important for the evolvement of power metal and many bands have copied this and sound like this.
I still disagree with you.
Just listen to "Victim of Changes" or "Sinner" and you´ll see rithm and tempo variations.
Judas Priest isn´t "just another heavy metal band" at ALL. About Rob Halford:  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
I don´t have enough time right now to expand my comment...but i´ll be back  :p

P.S: I also love DIO and Black Sabbath (DIO and Tony Martin era).

Albie said:
Open question to all: Has your current favourite metal act always been as stated?

But for someone that loves thrash, I only have a couple of these bands but this still ranks as my favoured choice of metal sub-genre.

Metallica used to be my favourite metal band, it was eclipsed by Megadeth when Metallica dropped a load. 

Thrash is my favourite sub-genre of metal, yet I do have plenty of other stuff.  Of course, IM is not thrash, yet it is my favourite.  (At least for now).  ;)

^^MeTaLeRo^^ said:
I still disagree with you.
Just listen to "Victim of Changes" or "Sinner" and you´ll see rithm and tempo variations.
Judas Priest isn´t "just another heavy metal band" at ALL. About Rob Halford:  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
I don´t have enough time right now to expand my comment...but i´ll be back  :p

P.S: I also love DIO and Black Sabbath (DIO and Tony Martin era).

I didn't mean that Priest is just another heavy metal band. I meant that Priest was more of a typical (trademark) metal band, not meaning it's a bad thing. I mean, I just told you they are my second favourite metal band ! Sorry for the confusion. :)

You're right about Victim.. and Sinner (and there's some more) but still Maiden made three or even four times as many songs with tempo and rhythm variations as Priest did. Priest's 80's stuff (that's 5 albums!) is very basic when it comes to the use of rhythms. The material in this era has hardly any tempo and rhythm changes, and on the albums with such changes, the songs still have less changes than the average Maiden songs have.

Summary:
I only tell this to show the differences between the ways of songwriting. Maiden's way of songwriting is less typical heavy metal as Priest's, that was my point.

Forostar said:
[...] Sorry for the confusion. :)

It´s all right!  :ok:

Forostar said:
You're right about Victim.. and Sinner (and there's some more) but still Maiden made three or even four times as many songs with tempo and rhythm variations as Priest did. Priest's 80's stuff (that's 5 albums!) is very basic when it comes to the use of rhythms. The material in this era has hardly any tempo and rhythm changes, and on the albums with such changes, the songs still have less changes than the average Maiden songs have.
I was talking about Priest´s 70´s songs. They´re totally different from the 80´s stuff.
I reckon it was part of a process, each band played their part. I used to compare them some time ago, but it´s in vain, for they´re so different...that´s the best part  :D

I used to be into Priest big time, but recently, they've become rather dull to me. There are still some exciting parts, even entire albums, but the bulk of their discography doesn't really move me (anymore). I'll still agree that Stained Class, Screaming For Vengeance, Defenders Of The Faith, Painkiller and Angel Of Retribution are brilliant albums, but for the rest.. there's one or two, sometimes even four or five great songs on the respective albums, but the bulk of the albums are mediocre. However, those I mentioned belong to the cream of Heavy Metal to me.

Genghis Khan said:
....when Metallica dropped a load.
How nicely put. ;)
Many years ago, I was heavily into Megadeth (not as much as Metallica in those days) and was over the moon when they decided to come to the UK as part of co-headline tour with Slayer (Testament and Suicidal Tendencies in support). What a frigging gig, I thought. Each and every band was, to me, brilliant. Each band was promoting a brilliant album (Rust in Peace, Seasons in the Abyss, Souls of Black and Light..Camera..Revolution accordingly). The tour was dubbed "Clash of the Titans" and played to arenas in the UK (and Europe, I believe). The band I was most looking forward to, out of that lot, was Slayer, but I was almost as eagerly anticipating Megadeth. As Mustaine and crew took to the stage, I was happy....then he started to open his mouth, talk down to some members of the audience ("Shut up prick, I'm talking", well if you can't handle a little heckle don't get on stage), and generally be a real egotistical prick. This display put me off Megadeth and I actually stopped buying their CD's (and I am not wholly alone in thinking this, I have spoken to some others who attending this tour and felt the same).

Around 10 years after, a friend of mine who had all their stuff lent me some of his CD's. It was at that point I realised what I had missed all those years. Now, I'm a Megadeth fan - again (and more so than Metallica, this time).

Genghis Khan said:
IM is not thrash, yet it is my favourite.  (At least for now).  ;)
Another question. Why do we think Iron Maiden keeps their fan-base pretty much more loyal than any other band? This may have been discussed a million times before, but I don't recall much talk on here (excuse me if there actually is a separate thread on this). Is it down to pure loyalty, consistency in their work, or something else? I can think of few bands that can command such a solid fan-base, it has almost become the way of a football team for Maiden, supported by the fans no matter what.

If we leave aside all things Maiden-related (and don't extend the term to any extremes), I'd probably go for Dark Tranquillity, although The Sound of Perseverance is enough to make me want to put Death there instead (sorry Blackie).

Shadow said:
although The Sound of Perseverance is enough to make me want to put Death there instead (sorry Blackie).
I had a listen to that yesterday and I must say, it is not a bad effort. I like it.

Albie said:
I had a listen to that yesterday and I must say, it is not a bad effort. I like it.
Not a bad effort? I love that album! I don't know what it is, but its my favourite Death album, a masterpiece in its own right. It was a good one to end on.

Albie said:
Another question. Why do we think Iron Maiden keeps their fan-base pretty much more loyal than any other band? This may have been discussed a million times before, but I don't recall much talk on here (excuse me if there actually is a separate thread on this). Is it down to pure loyalty, consistency in their work, or something else? I can think of few bands that can command such a solid fan-base, it has almost become the way of a football team for Maiden, supported by the fans no matter what.

Maybe it's because Maiden offer their fans something to identify with. Better said, Maiden has its own identity, be it Eddie, Steve's agressive stage behaviour, Bruce reliably shouting 'scream for me' at fixed positions within the gig; some of those trademarks may have been on and off during the years (most obviously Bruce's stage antics- when he wasn't with the band, he wasn't there ;)), but in general, you know what to expect from Maiden and from a Maiden gig, and, despite all variations, they give it to you. To use a very simple image, compare what Maiden give to you with a ball: The ball may be a football, a basketball, it may be blue, red, green, it may be big or small, but it will always be a ball.
Despite all experimentation and variation during the years -Bruce replacing Paul, the 'poppy' approach with Powerslave, the addition of synths, stripping down everything with No Prayer, replacing Bruce with Blaze, replacing Blaze with Bruce, going progressive... name it- you could always tell the band playing was Maiden. They kept Eddie, they kept twin guitar solos, they always had fast rockers and epic pieces on the albums... whatever. If you compare it to Judas Priest, they lost a lot of fans during the Ripper era. The funny thing is, many Priest fans will say that Ripper was a good singer- but it was the way the band went that turned them off. They changed logos, lyrical themes, and the entire music. If you listen to 'Demolition', you can't even tell it's Priest. The only track on the album I felt had something of a Priest feel was 'Lost And Found'... which under other circumstances would have been the most unlikely Priest song. Moreover, the band dropped their spikes and leather image which many fans loved them for. While Maiden was offering their fans a different-sized ball, Priest put out a box.

At least that's how I see it.

Hunlord said:
Not a bad effort? I love that album! I don't know what it is, but its my favourite Death album, a masterpiece in its own right. It was a good one to end on.
I've just heard it the once, so give it time. ;)
Perun said:
While Maiden was offering their fans a different-sized ball, Priest put out a box.

At least that's how I see it.
Nice analogy. :)

Perun said:
I'll still agree that Stained Class, Screaming For Vengeance, Defenders Of The Faith, Painkiller and Angel Of Retribution are brilliant albums, but for the rest.. there's one or two, sometimes even four or five great songs on the respective albums, but the bulk of the albums are mediocre. However, those I mentioned belong to the cream of Heavy Metal to me.

you typed very fast and you forgot some
"sad wings of destiny" and "british steel" among them

Back