War Of Epics: Results

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
I can live with Coma beating Ghost, but I really want Dream Theater to win here. And that says something about Free Bird. :yawn:

:facepalm:

It is my cruel fate for one of the coolest metal songs of all time to be beaten by one of the bands I hate the most. Oh well, at least Opeth wasn't beaten by a RHCP song.

Phase 1, Round 15 Results:
A Change Of Seasons and Coma are promoted, Free Bird and Ghost Of Perdition are eliminated.
User standings are updated here.

Phase 1, Round 16:
vs.
-
vs.

The dark horse has entered the field!

Oh Mighty Gods of Chaos!
Let the Power descend from the sky
Give me the Ultimate Weapon
I claim what is mine by right

The Battle For The Great Silver Sword: catchy, good production, Maidenish but also overlong, not so good vocals, takes way too long to change pace.
Falling Back To Earth: good production, unpredictable, relatively catchy for prog metal but also tries too hard to be complex and vocals are kinda weird.
This was tough... but second song is more enjoyable for me.

Halloween is legendary and while Through The Looking Glass is pretty awesome, it just can't win this match.

Those whispered stutter-start vocals jammed into the verses of Falling Back to Earth sound incredibly forced. In general, I can't really get into Haken and I think the main reason is the vocals. It's just too weird and ambient...however, it's still much better than The Battle for the Great Silver Sword, which sounds like some high school kids trying real hard to make Maiden sound more epic. Also, the vocals are really annoying. Haken wins because of the feels.

Halloween has cool riffs and some nice atmosphere...but holy living shit, those vocals are the cheesiest, lamest thing ever. Lamer than The Battle for the Great Silver Sword. God, it hurts my ears to listen to it. Through the Looking Glass is vastly superior. It's just so damn epic!

Through the looking Glass and Falling back to Earth sound like random pieces stitched together compared to the other songs. Also I prefer the vocals of the European bands in this round. Kiske is a natural singer, who sounds very strong when going high and loud as opposed to Allen who gets an annoying forced vibration. Bah. I don't like that style at all. The harmonies in Kiske's singing are beautiful and contribute to that atmosphere. The Italian guy has an accent and that's the only "problem" I could have. But his power and range make up for it and sound very well and fit well to this kind of music. Can't believe that certain people prefer (the whining of) Hakan, a band with a style that is so different from the superior melodies and riffs that Domine deliver in this mightly track. The Battle for the Great Silver Sword sparkles from excitement. The build-up is fantastic. And the pre-chorus and chorus are strong as well. The intro is very memorable.

Halloween is the best from this whole tournament. It has everything one can wish for in music.

Last edited:
Domine was much better than I expected, and Haken more boring.
Symphony X has many better epics, and Halloween is a classic.

Domine and Helloween.

Domine - I liked this a lot, even if it verges on heroically epic cheese.
Helloween - really solid song, bags of drama, great continuity, nifty guitar work, completely justifies its length. Yes, it ticks all the 'epic' boxes for me, thank you.

Not really a great round. Went with Haken & Helloween. Halloween is the only Helloween song that I like.

I'm with Brigs — Domine is a delicious slice of epic cheese. Fun stuff.
Interesting contrast with Haken. They show good chops, and I am sure they are a much more serious band.
From an objective critique level, I should go Haken, but song versus song, Domine was more fun.
It just seemed like Haken was trying too hard.

I'm with Brigs — Domine is a delicious slice of epic cheese. Fun stuff.
Interesting contrast with Haken. They show good chops, and I am sure they are a much more serious band.
From an objective critique level, I should go Haken, but song versus song, Domine was more fun.
It just seemed like Haken was trying too hard.
You forgot to vote :D

Only song in this group that I like is Halloween. The vocals are indeed annoying, but that's still a good song. Not as good as Foro says, but still good. :smartarse:

From an objective critique level, I should go Haken.
Yup. Not as big a fan of cheese as others on this thread.

Back