USA Politics

You realize this is the US politics thread? Those who say they are liberals here are far from capitalist ... crony capitalists .. sure

Yes, I'm aware of it, and my remark was intended to be read isolated from the individuals that are labeled liberals.

I meant to say that there is not necessarily any hypocrisy to actually being libertarian in social matters. and less so in economical matters, because of what I said in my previous post.

Not going to pay the $6 to read the whole study, but caught parts of it in an interview.

The massive echo chamber thinking is to me reason#1 for the poor state of politics in the US and I suspect in other places as well

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022103116304024

Liberals and conservatives are similarly motivated to avoid exposure to one another's opinions

Highlights

Liberals and conservatives are similarly motivated to avoid crosscutting information.

Approximately two thirds of people gave up a chance to win extra money in order to avoid hearing from the other side.

The aversion applied to issues such as same-sex marriage, elections, marijuana, climate change, guns, and abortion.

The aversion is not a product of already being or feeling knowledgeable.

People anticipated that crosscutting information would produce cognitive dissonance and harm relationships.

Abstract
Ideologically committed people are similarly motivated to avoid ideologically crosscutting information. Although some previous research has found that political conservatives may be more prone to selective exposure than liberals are, we find similar selective exposure motives on the political left and right across a variety of issues. The majority of people on both sides of the same-sex marriage debate willingly gave up a chance to win money to avoid hearing from the other side (Study 1). When thinking back to the 2012 U.S. Presidential election (Study 2), ahead to upcoming elections in the U.S. and Canada (Study 3), and about a range of other Culture War issues (Study 4), liberals and conservatives reported similar aversion toward learning about the views of their ideological opponents. Their lack of interest was not due to already being informed about the other side or attributable election fatigue. Rather, people on both sides indicated that they anticipated that hearing from the other side would induce cognitive dissonance (e.g., require effort, cause frustration) and undermine a sense of shared reality with the person expressing disparate views (e.g., damage the relationship; Study 5). A high-powered meta-analysis of our data sets (N = 2417) did not detect a difference in the intensity of liberals' (d = 0.63) and conservatives' (d = 0.58) desires to remain in their respective ideological bubbles.

Keywords
  • Selective exposure;
  • Confirmation bias;
  • Motivation;
  • Liberals and conservatives;
  • Ideological symmetry

So it seems that Americans are confused in general. So am I...
But I wouldn't call 'conservative' per definition as virtuous (or un-virtuous) behavior.

No, it's just the fact that "liberal" and "conservative" have different meanings in the US than in Europe. I used to go batshit about this too, and then I just learned to accept it.

So does the term conservative, if you're amongst a liberal audience.

And yep, @bearfan is right. People who think one way or the other almost always go out of their way to create echo chambers and participate in confirmation bias. I personally try to read opposing viewpoints fairly regularly, just to get an idea of how the other side thinks - but I am sure I do this too, to an extent.

Also, Donald Trump gave the Russian ambassador classified information given from an intelligence partner.

E-mails Clinton (huge shit storm causing her to loose the elections) vs Trump leaking to Russia (no criticism at all by the people who have a big mouth about Clinton): Hypocrisy!

E-mails Clinton (huge shit storm causing her to loose the elections) vs Trump leaking to Russia (no criticism at all by the people who have a big mouth about Clinton): Hypocrisy!

It's not the security implications, it's DNC's own internal policies that got leaked out, and that caused voter loss. Trump is an idiot, there's really nothing more to say about it.
Btw. it's 'lose', loose means not tight enough. I see this mistake often done by people with otherwise perfect English.

The FBI allegations had a big thing in making her lose. Especially because the difference wasn't big. Can't believe people still downplay this. Just as Reps out here downplay Trump actions.

Trump leaking to Russia (no criticism at all by the people who have a big mouth about Clinton)

I wouldn't be too sure about this. The Republicans are suspiciously quiet about the whole Trump matter. It's true that they are not publicly lambasting Trump at the moment, but they're also not coming out at his defence. This is significant. I have the feeling that many GOP members are holding back with their comments, waiting for things to unfold - because once Trump actually does break the law, they are the ones who are going to have to vote for an impeachment, as they have the majorities. Fact is, Trump is their guy, and I can imagine it's hard to find a way to deal with the way he behaves right now.

Back