Tournament Of Short Songs: Phase 4

Vote for your FAVORITE song in each match:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
You can find the rules and the list of all songs in this thread. I'll also put a link for each new round there and the thread is stickied so that it's easier to find.

vs.
-
vs.
-
vs.
-
vs.

All four Phase 4 matches are in this one thread because I won't be able to open 2 rounds in time and don't want to delay my game schedule :)

IE, CW, Limelight, UFO

Not a favorite song of mine from either Bruce or IE on the first pair. Give it to IE for the masterfully pompous intro. Angels Holocaust

Better Bruce song on the second pair, but Jungle was one of those songs that changed my life. Welcome To The Jungle

A match Rush is guaranteed to win in the third! Tom Sawyer

Overrated UFO (yeah I said it) vs. one of Slayer's best. Raining Blood

Like a lot of their stuff, think they are overrated.
I detest Slayer.

Don't even get me started on Slayer...at least Guns 'N' Roses are listenable, I've just heard all of their "hits" 7 million times over the years. Slayer isn't worth listening to more than once, if at all.

I think both GnR and Slayer are massively overrated however while Slayer has about 5 song worth listening, GnR has one pretty good album + a couple of good songs.

Tough choices throughout.

I find it very difficult to vote against Bruce's better work, sorry Iced Earth and GnR. Welcome to the Jungle is my favourite GnR song, but Chemical Wedding has to be at least top five Bruce for me. Tom Sawyer is one of only a handful of Rush songs I'm at all bothered about so that gets my vote, and Doctor Doctor is more fun than Slayer. GnR is the ultimate in sleazy and stylish hard rock to me, with good solid tunes. I don't have any problem with Slayer, but can't get too excited about them.

Tom Sawyer might be my second or third favourite up there, but Limelight might be the best song in the game.
Every song in this round is good — except Slayer of course.

I find GnR quite overrated, and I'm surprised so many people here really like them after the stuff Rose has said about Maiden in the past. Coma is a kickass song though.

I think Slayer are alright, but Tom Araya is a terrible vocalist.

stuff Rose has said about Maiden in the past

I never heard such stuff, though I don't doubt your word that it exists. However, there are plenty of douchebags in rock music, and many of them make (or made) great music despite their douchebaggery. I try not to hold such offenses against the music.

I'm surprised so many people here really like them

Story time. For me, it's very much a historical thing. You have to remember where hard rock was at before GnR. Motley Crue and Bon Jovi ruled the day. Metallica was still underground, recovering from Cliff's death. And the way we all got our fresh metal in those pre-internet days was Headbanger's Ball on MTV every Saturday night. And then came the night they debuted Welcome to the Jungle. It blew me away. It had the same effect on everyone I knew. Way before Sweet Child hit #1, everyone was playing Appetite nonstop.

It was a breath of fresh air. The "decadence" of bands like Crue always seemed fake. These guys looked like geniune junkies off the street and played the meanest rock on the globe at the time. Their closest comparison was Aerosmith, but those guys were now singing about crossdressers. GnR brought danger back to rock 'n' roll.

So does any of that matter when comparing songs here? To me it does. I think that Bruce song is good but it never sent chills down my spine and left me drooling in stupefied awe. Other Bruce songs have, but not Chemical Wedding.

I never heard such stuff, though I don't doubt your word that it exists. However, there are plenty of douchebags in rock music, and many of them make (or made) great music despite their douchebaggery. I try not to hold such offenses against the music.

He said he wouldn't like to be in a band like Maiden, because "it's like a political thing". I think it was more of a slap at their fans than the band themselves.

I find GnR quite overrated, and I'm surprised so many people here really like them after the stuff Rose has said about Maiden in the past.

If Dave Mustaine can't stop me from liking Megadeth, chances are Axl Rose isn't going to stop me from liking GnR. (I don't like them THAT much but it has nothing to do with Axl's statements)

Birth, Jungle, Limelight, DrDr.

While I realise Raining Blood is a defining moment in metal, I think UFO deserve some kudos. And as for GnR, I totally get SMX's point and I've got to agree (despite not being there at the time, being only 5 years old when Appetite was released).

Guns n' Roses are a bit overrated but Appetite For Destruction definitely isn't. It's one of the all time great albums and Welcome to the Jungle is an awesome track. I think the problem is that they peaked with their first album, but that doesn't take anything away from that album's greatness.

fat-axl-rose.jpg

Back