Tournament of Maiden Solos: Tiebreak: 1B ==> 2 (2nd)

Which guitar solo would you like to survive?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well that's the problem with isolating these solos. Sometimes their greatness is in the context. Especially for Maiden, there have been a lot of solos I didn't vote for because part of why I liked them so much was how they lead into following parts. The intricate instrumental sections are part of what makes Maiden stand out as a metal band, the sum is often greater than the individual parts.

Tough choice but I went for BNW. Maybe the cleaner sound or something, or simply that I really love that song in its entirety and that includes the solo's. Could be that the emotion associated with the song is invoked so there's bias there even if the solo isn't that great? I dunno, hard to make an 'objective' choice. But BNW it is.

Well that's the problem with isolating these solos. Sometimes their greatness is in the context. Especially for Maiden, there have been a lot of solos I didn't vote for because part of why I liked them so much was how they lead into following parts. The intricate instrumental sections are part of what makes Maiden stand out as a metal band, the sum is often greater than the individual parts.
Yes, but even after this process, there's the opponent this individual part has to battle against. And RTC's reasoning, being so much busy with the context of one solo, leads to being stuck at the negative outcome: so much that it seemlessly seems to loose from its opponent, whatever it is.

RTC talks about another battle, namely: solo A with harmony > solo A without harmony.

Fine, but we have a solo B here. In theory: solo A without harmony can still be better than solo B.

Now it kind of sounds like we get: "Who cares, I like A less anyway, because I miss context".

Last edited:
@Edu_Smith will you always keep voting for Adrian's solos, no matter which solos they are and no matter which Dave or Janick solos are the opponents?
Same question for @matic22 (self called "hard Adrian fan" and @adrian fn rules ).
No, There are quite a few Dave Solos that I like, Janick not so much, unfortunately. I love Janicks blood brothers solo, I don't believe I got a chance to vote for it. There are some others, most notably solos on TBOS I like. Sorry but I do prefer Adrian. It would take a "meh" solo from Adrian going heads up with one of the better ones from the other two to get my vote for them. For instance, I prefer Dave's solos on both Powerslave and Rime to Adrians on those same songs, see? I hate to seem like I'm not objective, its just that Adrians style and playing is just usually better. I'm sure you knew that there are many fans who prefer him going in to this poll right? I do appreciate your hard work!

I am aware of the possibility that a relatively big number of people prefer a relatively big number of Adrian Smith solos to Dave and Janick solos.

But there is only a very small number of people that always votes for Adrian (when he is in the group) and never for Dave and never for Janick.
I'd like to know more about this.

Last edited:
I listen to all of them before I vote, and I do think about the context of the solo in the song also. I am sure in the ensuing days there will be a non-Adrian solo I will vote for.

If you have an ear for Adrian's style and a strong appreciation of it, I can quite imagine people voting for his solos time after time. I'm trying to avoid getting Dave-related tunnel vision.

Please stop kicking older topics over the new one. ;--P

I meant in this battle, which was indeed the tiebreak I guess. Janick's solo wasn't in it.

(NOTE: If this game is new for you, and if you would like to participate, please check the opening post of the main game thread for more information)

Hi everybody, here are 5 solos. Via this tiebreak (or more, if needed), 2 solos go to round 1B (info here), which will start after a break. The other 3 will join 29 other solos and that total of 32 will be eliminated. The list of eliminated solos will be posted when this is decided. Then the break will start. I need time to form new groups and then Night Prowler will make the vids.

So: which guitar solo(s) would you like to proceed directly to round 1B? The three solos with the least votes will be eliminated. Here we go:

It's not going to break my heart if any of those go out; but my favourite two are probably Janick's frantic Afraid lead & Adrian's Starblind noodling...

Not a particularly strong group, but I really like what Adrian was doing on Starblind. It gets my only vote.

Back