Top 5 songs that aren't metal or even loosely associated with metal?

I gotta go to the 80s pop for this one...

Hall & Oates, "Did It In A Minute"
Prince, "I Would Die 4 U"

And some prog...

Genesis, "Firth Of Fifth"
Kansas, "Song For America"

And I'm sure as hell not gonna let Shadow be the only one to mention Zappa...

Frank Zappa, "The Blue Light"

The Stone Roses - I Am The Resurrection: An absolutely sublime song, my thoughts detailed elsewhere on this forum.

Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead: I have no other recollection of even listening to anything else they have done, but this was a favourite track of a mate of mine back in my school days - and it sort of brings back the odd memory of those times. A damn good track all round.

Stiff Little Fingers - Doesn't Make it Alright: Possibly the greatest cover ever done - ever. I could go on and champion so much of early SLF, but I choose to opt for this. Best punk band.

The Prodigy - Climbatize: Brilliant piece of music from a good album by these guys. I only have three albums by The Prodigy, but each one is a real gem.

Level 42 - Something About You: Fronted by the second greatest bass player of all time, Level 42 was a good band in their day and some good music came from them. Funny thing is that when they were doing this stuff in the mid to late eighties, a whole faction of supporters had turned their back on the band claiming sell out - just as I got into their music.

I do like a bit of punk every now and then and could have opted for a track by The Stranglers (their rendition of Walk on By or the brilliant Down in the Sewer, for example) but, aside from SLF, I really tried to steer away from punk in general - for no explanation that I could even give myself.

1. Simon & Garfunkel - The Boxer
2. Lyin' Eyes - Eagles
3. Heat of the Moment - Asia (definitely!!!!)
4. Cover Mye Eyes (Pain & Heaven)/No One Can - Marillion (sorry, can't choose just one)
5. Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac

another one i was just listening to...Love is all around (Wet Wet Wet version)

This'll be awkward:

1. That's Where It Is (Carrie Underwood)
2. Xanadu (Rush)
3. Comfortably Numb (Pink Floyd)
4. Out in the Fields (Gary Moore)
5. Devil's Slide (Joe Satriani)

Back