1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thrash Metal

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Dityn DJ James, Apr 8, 2016.

1. terrell39

terrell39 Ancient Mariner

This must be (at least) the third tour in the past 10 years where Anthrax plays ATL in its' entirety. I agree with you that STD is the better CD. I would even be happy if they played State of Euphoria or Persistence of Time instead. Don't get me wrong. ATL is a classic, but they have played it to death...

2. terrell39

Killers, Moving Pictures, Blizzard of Ozz, Defenders of the Faith are a few that spring to mind...

3. terrell39

Just saw the most enjoyable small metal show at a place in Houston called Rudyard's. The first band was Fiddle Witch and the Demons From Hell. They are a trio from Houston featuring Jo Bird on fiddle that were really an eye opening experience. Very unique and enjoyable. Jo Bird is jaw dropping on fiddle! The bassist Geoffrey is also amazing on the parts where he and Jo are playing the same notes. Reminded me of the way Billy Sheehan plays with Winery Dogs and David Lee Roth.
    Next was Sanctus Bellum, a Houston metal band. They have been around for 15 years and have a following here. I had never seen them before and I was very impressed with their professional originals and playing. They had more people in the crowd than the headliner did. I think for this reason, they played longer than the headliner...Texas thrash LEGENDS Warbeast!
    Warbeast singer is Bruce Corbitt from Rigor Mortis. They are produced by Philip Enselmo. ULTRA heavy! The crowd was more intense (with a pit) than Sanctus Bellum. In the crowd was Jo (Fiddle Witch) and Justin (singer from Sanctus Bellum). Up front going insane was Ben (bassist from Sanctus Bellum).

Because the place is so small, I was able to meet all the bands and EVERYONE was super cool, both fans and bands alike. Really enjoyed meeting Jo and Geoffery from Fiddle Witch. The other bands had nothing but praise for her band. The singer for Sanctus Bellum Justin was really cool. When I spoke to Bruce from Warbeast, he said when Rigor Mortis was with Capitol records on their debut, Maiden was also on Capitol at the time and Rigor Mortis got to meet Maiden! Warbeast' set started with four old songs and then they played five songs from their forthcoming CD. One of them, Orchestration of Violence, Bruce announced as being about D-Day. They will have a video soon for another new song Hitchhiker about the Texas Chainsaw Massacre which will feature Edwin Neal. He is the actor (a Houston native) who played the hitchhiker in the film!

I think it was my job to help people last night because one of the singers (in between sets) fell over some equipment (won't say which singer), and myself and Scott (guitarist for Warbeast) assisted them up. Then during the pit for Warbeast one dude was almost hurled in the other band equipment on a side wall, but I stopped him and pushed him back...into the pit!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/warbeast/2017/rudyards-houston-tx-1bf97d1c.html

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/sanctus-bellum/2017/rudyards-houston-tx-13f97d09.html

Could not create a setlist on the website for Fiddle Witch because they are an artist not set up yet with the website or with Music Brains but their setlist was Viking Bash, Broken Brain, Venomous Lax, and Bone Chomper. Check out their website fiddlewitch.com for their history and info.

This is a video of Fiddle Witch playing their closing track Bone Chomper:

Thi is a video of Sanctus Bellum playing Curwen:

This is the official video by Warbeast for Birth of a Psycho:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  4. terrell39

Still recuperating from seeing Prong, Sepultura, and Testament last night at the House of Blues in Houston! Prong sounded VERY tight. I noticed they have a new bassist. I think however that Tommy (singer/guitarist) was not happy at the lack luster response of the audience.

The crowd was more into Sepultura. I saw them live back on the Chaos AD tour but this was the first time I have seen them live with Derrick on vocals. I am finally warming up to him but hearing the old tunes live with only one guitarist is different. When we were leaving, one guy referred to them as "the cover band that call themselves Sepultura". Lot of comments on Youtube say the band should change their name.

Testament was perfection (as usual). Great mix of old and new in the setlist as well as a couple of surprises in the setlist.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/prong/2017/house-of-blues-houston-tx-4be683b6.html

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/sepultura/2017/house-of-blues-houston-tx-2be6804e.html

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/testament/2017/house-of-blues-houston-tx-53e683c5.html

5. terrell39

6. terrell39